Running on an empty stomach?

Options
I was simply wondering if I wake up and drink plenty of water is it better to run before I eat or after?

Replies

• lawkat
    lawkat Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    It depends on how long your run is. I usually don't eat anything but have a cup of coffee and some water if my runs are under an hour. Anything more and I will have half a banana and some PB. I eat the rest of my breakfast after the run.
  • kimgravel
    kimgravel Posts: 32
    Options
    Same as above. If it's a shorter run, I like to have something little, maybe a few crackers so I don't feel like my water is swishing around in my stomach. For something longer, I'll eat a package of oatmeal, 1/2 an english muffin with some PB, or 1/2 a protein bar. And the rest when I'm back from my run.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    I eat nothing. Even on runs as long as 20 miles (this past weekend)
    I make sure to hydrate and eat well the night before. The morning of is just 1 glass of water & I'm off. I'll take water & gels as needed during my run.
  • katie133
    katie133 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    every time i have a banana before i run, i feel great...if i dont have my banana its not as good haha
  • lizard053
    lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
    Options
    Depends on you! I find I get nasty cramps running on an empty or full stomach. Lots of water and a little bit of food seems to work best for me. However, first thing in the morning I do workouts on no food, as I have to wait an hour before eating following my thyroid pill. But I don't run in the mornings. I do harder workouts, lol! Ok, not always harder, but usually.
  • ryno0618
    ryno0618 Posts: 361
    Options
    i don't like to eat before runs. makes me feel blah from my head to toe. At most I will have a banana or a piece of fruit before runs in the morning. I eat afterwards. Evening runs I don't eat anything 2 hours prior to the run.

Its different for everyone. Some people need food intake prior to cardio otherwise they get lightheaded.
  • Faintgreeneyes
    Faintgreeneyes Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    i don't like to eat before runs. makes me feel blah from my head to toe. At most I will have a banana or a piece of fruit before runs in the morning. I eat afterwards. Evening runs I don't eat anything 2 hours prior to the run.

Its different for everyone. Some people need food intake prior to cardio otherwise they get lightheaded.

I am kind of the same way. If I was going to run early in the morning, I wouldn't eat until after I was done. I also make sure I don;t eat anything closer than an hour to a run in the afternoon. I just tend to feel sluggish and almost nauseous if I run after eating.

I will sometimes in the afternoon eat a banana if I am really hungry and feel that I need something.

Again, do whatever works best for you!
  • sdrawkcabynot
    sdrawkcabynot Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    Eating before runs - makes me feel like i am going to throw up the whole time! And I like to run outside - so if I swallow a bug by the river - i prefer to dry heave then up-chuck my food. lol.
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    Trying to run on an empty stomach or trying to run with too full a stomach are both sure fire ways for me to bonk a run. I try to leave two hours after a full meal or an hour after something smaller before I start a run.

Though, that can vary depending on circumstances. Like yesterday I'd had a full meal and planned on heading out two hours later. Life happened and I didn't hit the trail until almost three hours later. Just to play it more safe than sorry, I had a Greek yogurt just before I walked out the door. Did my 12.5 miles in sub-10 minutes per mile average pace and felt great the whole time.

So ultimately, it's going to come down to what works best for you. Unfortunately that means a bit of trial and error, and likely some bonked runs along the way. But if it helps you find your best meal timing for your runs, then it's all worth it for the long term.
  • Legs_McGee
    Legs_McGee Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    I can't function without eating something in the mornings - I feel like my stomach is trying to claw its way out of my body. But I don't eat a whole lot - a Clif bar and a banana is plenty for a half marathon ..... and two Clif bars (plus Gu during) got me through a marathon just fine.
  • montana_girl
    montana_girl Posts: 1,403 Member
    Options
    For me, I'm fine running on an empty stomach if its under 4 1/2 miles.... anything over that I have 1/2 banana and a piece of toast with 1/2 tbsp of peanut butter. And I always have 1/2 a banana after I run regardless of how many miles I have run.

Took me quite a few runs before I figured out what does and doesn not work for me. Just keep trying different things until you find the right thing for you.