How do you lose "the pouch"??

Options

Replies

• MrsHixson90
    Options
    I would love to know the answer to this, after 3 previous c-sections I really want to get rid of it. that is the one part my body I hate.
  • jaymek92
    jaymek92 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    That area is not 'fat' in every case and of course you can spot reduce with resistance and toning, been there done that!
    no, really. you can't. with how many heavy squats/deadlifts/etc. i do, if you could spot reduce, i'd have the legs of eva longoria. but i don't. why? because you can't spot reduce.

HOW TO LOSE FAT FROM ANYWHERE: eat a healthy, balanced, low (but not too low) calorie diet. exercise your whole body using heavy weights and your favorite form of cardio (make it intense).
  • KarmaxKitty
    KarmaxKitty Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    Walk like a camel, arms straight, legs straight and locked at the knees and bum high up in the air. Walk as much as you can like this, then stand up. You see the difference right away.

Um......:noway:

9301292.jpg

I second this, but I laughed anyway. XD
  • HayleHoot
    HayleHoot Posts: 28
    Options
    My friend and I lost it by cutting out sugar and processed flour! It really works!:smile:
  • autumnk921
    autumnk921 Posts: 1,376 Member
    Options
    http://pinterest.com/pin/192458584045902954/

this is all I have found so far that works that target area

I looked up that link but it didn't tell you how to do it (I need to know too...lol)....Here is the actual site that shows you the exercise:

http://www.fitnessmagazine.com/workout/abs/exercises/waist-slimming-ab-workout/?page=6

16043484.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • 1_Slick_Chick
    1_Slick_Chick Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Has anyone tried the SAFFLOWER OIL for belly fat? I just read an article in Women's Day and am considering trying it :)
  • vcorbin01
    vcorbin01 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Lay on the floor have your hands to your side flat on the floor and raise your legs 90 degrees in the air. Keep hands on the floor and legs straight up while raising your bum off the ground. You will feel it work. I do three sets of twenty-five and it helps a lot in that area. Also another exercise I do is lay on the floor with your legs bent. While laying there keep your legs slightly bent and lift them in the air then back down (but don't let your feet touch the ground) I also do three sets of twenty-five. You will feel the burn if your doing them right trust me. I could think of several other's I do but these are my two killer lower ab workouts and it burns so good! Good luck!
  • MissAnjy
    MissAnjy Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    I carried twins to 35 weeks. I also have "the pouch" what has worked for me is clearly diet/exercise & STRENGTH TRAINING, mainly.......lifting heavy. CLX did wonder for my body.
  • MasterZeddicus
    MasterZeddicus Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    The unfortunate truth of the matter is there is absolutely no miracle way to simply reduce fat in a certain area of your body. If you have a pouch this is because your over all percentage of body fat is high enough to create a visible fat deposit on your body. Everyone body is different, men tend to store fat in the lower abdominal area, and women tend to be the waist, breasts, and abdominals as well. What you are trying to do is spot reduction.

Spot reduction is essentially a myth, it is an attempt to lower the concentration of fat in a single target area of your body as opposed to lowering your overall body fat percentage to a level where your body no longer has enough fat to show fat deposits. This is quite literally impossible. Your body decides on a cellular level where to take the fat from, and generally it will be from the largest deposits first, but it will never take from a single area. Essentially your entire bodies fat stores will deplete, but the percentage taken from each area depends on the concentration of fat in that area. Excersising that area explicityly will NOT burn more fat in that area, if anything you will wind up overtraining that muscle, and causing fatigue, and be discouraged because it will constantly be sore, you won't want to work it out anymore because the effort won't be visible, and if you build the muscle under your pouch too much it will actually make the pouch MORE evident since you have built larger muscles under the same size fat deposit, thus forcing the fat deposit further out from your body.

The ONLY way to lose fat, is calory deficit by a healthy diet in conjunction with a healthy work out routine. You don't have to do a lot, you've taken a huge first step just joinig this site, not all you have to do is follow the colory counter on here, whilst maintaining at least 3 hours of work out per week. If you do that, you'll be surprised at just how quickly that pouch dicipates.

Good Luck!
    Master Zeddicus
  • mem1086
    mem1086 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • kodiak1957
    kodiak1957 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Sometimes you can, sometimes you can't. Our "pouch" is held in by two things-muscle and ligament. If there is not fat, a woman can still have a pouch if the ligaments have been stretched or damaged (the "pouch" in this case is your intestines bulging through the no-longer-tight ligaments). You can regain muscle tone, but not ligament tone--at least not without surgery. Toning muscle will help quite a bit, but won't completely eliminate a pouch if there has been ligament damage. The most common reason for ligament damage is pregnancy. It is important to exercise during pregnancy, but you need to be careful of what kind of exercise you do. The wrong kind late in pregnancy (such as crunches) can cause permanent ligament stretching.
    Extreme obesity can also cause a pouch of excess skin that cannot be worked off. The younger you are, the more elastic your skin will be, and the better chance of things "snapping back" once you lose weight.
    Bottom line- prevention is the best solution, but if it is too late then exercise, lose all the fat, and if the problem remains consider surgery if you can't live with the result.
  • angied80
    angied80 Posts: 749
    Options
    It's all about your diet. Healthy non processed foods. If it comes in a WRAP, then it's CRAP!
  • SarahxCheesecake
    SarahxCheesecake Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    That area is not 'fat' in every case and of course you can spot reduce with resistance and toning, been there done that!

WTH is it then? :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    Have you tried something called the camel walk. I saw it on MFP as being recommended. not sure what thread.
  • SarahxCheesecake
    SarahxCheesecake Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Has anyone tried the SAFFLOWER OIL for belly fat? I just read an article in Women's Day and am considering trying it :)

ow kaaaaaaaaaaaaay :noway:
  • angijunbug
    angijunbug Posts: 205
    Options
    Thank you for that link to pinterest! :wink: I need to do that too!
  • Jennical
    Jennical Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Bump.
  • ahealthy4u
    ahealthy4u Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    Good diet good work out habits it all goes hand in hand I found that HIT Classes worked really well for me along with walking.
  • Bentley2718
    Bentley2718 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options

In most cases though, it is fat. Unless it's paper thin, it's not just skin.

That being said, diet and squats/deadlifts with heavy weights.

It can also be extra skin, which there is basically nothing you can do about except have surgery. Losing weight overall, and doing exercises that strengthen your lower abs can help, but it won't always fix the problem.
  • TheFitHooker
    TheFitHooker Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    I'm actually working hard on this area right now. I started Pilates today, also planks, crunches, backward crunches, sit ups, and pushups.. I'd also suggest some Jillian Michael's 30 day shred she focuses on that area.