Running/losing weight question

Options
So, I am training for my first race, a 10k, at the end of May. I have also been sort of half-heartedly trying to lose a few pounds for vanity's sake (and for the sake of a swimsuit). My main thing right now, though, is that I want to do decently in the 10k.

So my question is, is it worth it to focus more on losing 5 or 10 pounds before the race in order to be faster? Am I likely to have a significantly faster time if I am a little lighter? I can maintain about a 10 minute mile pace now but would love to get closer to 9 by race time.

Any suggestions? Thanks.

Replies

• BreakingOath
    BreakingOath Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    IMO I would focus on beating your time every time you run instead of focusing on losing weight. If you run at a pace of 10 minutes a mile. Next week go for an even faster time. If you are eating right then the weight you want to lose will come off naturally while training :).
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Here is an article that may interest you in runners world.

http://beginners.runnersworld.com/2011/10/how-does-weight-loss-affect-my-running-speed.html

It's generally believed that there is a correlation between weight loss and speed but there are also a lot of other variables involved (fitness level, running economy). (one estimate I've seen is about 20 seconds per mile for a 10lb weight loss)

If you want to improve your speed (and you still have time to make some improvements) perhaps some interval training or hills as part of your weekly routine?

As it's your first race I wouldn't worry as much about finishing time as having fun!
  • rebecca_d35
    rebecca_d35 Posts: 131
    Options
    @BreakingOath--Thanks. I thought that as I upped my mileage, weight would just disappear. But so far, I seem to be eating enough to make up for it. :)

And @BrianSharpe, thanks for the article. Am going to read it now. I am starting to incorporate some intervals into my running but I need to get more regular about it.
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    If you lose weight you will likely be faster.

If you have not been running long then the best way to increase your speed is to run more and build your aerobic capacity.

If you are interested in performance then the more miles your run in training the faster you will run in a race. You will benefit a lot by building your mileage to 40 miles a week with a small risk of injury. You will benefit even more by building your mileage up to 70+ miles a week with an increased chance of injury. If you haven't been running long then you can't immediately jump to those training levels. It's a long term proposition with fitness and speed gains that will continue for years.
  • TylerJ76
    TylerJ76 Posts: 4,375 Member
    Options
    Run lots.

It is the general idea that you need to run a lot, not run fast and don't do speed work until you are up to 40mpw or so.

You will benefit more to run slow longer, then faster shorter.
  • bshedwick
    bshedwick Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    I'm in maintenance mode right now and training for my first half marathon. I'm really trying to focus on building my speed and my endurance. Doing my best to eat all my calories, but I've dropped a few pounds.

Focus on speed and endurance. As long as you are still tracking your calories, and are eating at a slight deficit, the weight will come off because of your training.

Keep at it, and good luck!
  • katie133
    katie133 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    if you run more,and at higher intensities. wont you therefore lose weight an then run faster? killing 2 birds with one stone lol
  • Topsking2010
    Topsking2010 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    Bump