SPORT RELIEF MILE

Options
Anyone from the UK on this site considering doing the mile?

I haven't done any serious exercise for a good year and a bit, but I am definitely thinking about doing this mile. I can't imagine it would be the biggest challenge and I'd like to prove to myself that I can do something like running a mile.

Replies

• M_lifts
    M_lifts Posts: 2,224 Member
    Options
    id say go for it, no one would judge you. You can do a combination of walk/ run! its a nice family affair, i may run or marshall it as my running club are organising it.

Take the family along and let them join in. good luck
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    quite a few of us are doing the 3 and the 6. I agree with the poster above - nothing wrong with having a go. A mile is usually about 10-12 minutes of steady running for a beginner - could you manage that? if not, there's no problem with interspersing the run with some walking, and just enjoying the fun for the day.
  • sionlikesmusic
    Options
    Well this is the thing - I used to play rugby regularly in and outside of school a year and a bit ago so I should be able to manage a mile, and I think going for the 1 mile is a more realistic ambition for me than the others because I haven't done any real exercise for a while. I've started doing 30 mins on an exercise bike every other day, but that's only since last week.
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    Why don't you do a test run today? Take it easy - a gentle jog. Use intervals if you need to (you probably will), and just see how you get on?

I agree with you, if you can get to the mile, it's a great way to get started again.
  • bitterfusion
    bitterfusion Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't mind doing this, but you have to enter by the end of today...
  • sionlikesmusic
    Options

that's no excuse sister.
  • bitterfusion
    bitterfusion Posts: 82 Member
    Options

that's no excuse sister.
    My excuse is that I'll have an essay to be doing for the following Thursday. I'll go for a run on Sunday anyway. That way, I'll be with you in spirit ;)
  • hyperkate
    hyperkate Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I am doing the 3 mile and my son is joining me with his mate. I will run off and they will go at their own pace. It's about raising money and having fun, not who can run it in the fastest time! Go for it :happy:
  • sionlikesmusic
    Options
    I did the 2pm race down Cardiff Bay, and finished the mile in just under 11 minutes - and I didn't stop to walk which was my own personal target completed!