Body Pump

Options
I was just wondering whether anyone does the Body Pump classes. I know I need to use my HRM. I have the watch part - but can't find the chest strap. But I want to use an accurate count and not the inflated numbers I have found on the site. I remember that back when I used to use it during class I usually burned about 200ish cals. Anyway - what kind of numbers are you guys finding that you burn during this type of class?

Thanks!

Replies

• tchrmom04
    tchrmom04 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Just bumping in case someone didn't see it! :)
  • aletissier
    Options
    It really depends on your sex, height, weight and body fat %..... and obviously how much effort you put in.

Everyone burns calories at different rates.

I am very small - female, 5'2, and I weigh around 7 stone (100lbs) and in BodyPump I burn between 230-250 calories, and I could probably work a tiny bit harder, so potentially around 270 cals.

But for example a 6'4 male, weighing a lot more that has a lot of lean muscle could probably easily burn 600 calories.

So it all depends on your stats!
  • k8krampe
    k8krampe Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    On my pump days, I do a little cardio before and burn around 400-500, along with my cardio. I find that I burn more and go deeper with the reps when I am warm.

Side note, you can buy just the band on amazon.com, for around $40.
  • SarahH1971
    Options
    I did 55 mins pump today and was mega up for it - I did 450 cals. However i normally vary between 350 to 400. The new releases have more cardio built in - power lunges and repeating clean and press - they really get your heart going :-)
  • lk27
    lk27 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I was surprised when I got my HRM that I was not burning as many calories in Bocy Pump as I thought I was. At first I was guessing at about 500 calories per 60 minute class. When I got my HRM, even with pushing myself as hard as I could, I only burned about 360 cal for a 60 min class. I was getting dissappointed because I can easily burn 400+ calories in 30 minutes of Turbo Fire, but not nearly as many in Body Pump. My husband pointed out that eventhough your heart rate doesn't go up as high (burn as many calories) in Body Pump, you are still toning your muscles and that is a great thing no matter what!

I am 5'3" currently between 129-131 lbs. 60 min class b/t 318-362 calories burned.
  • tchrmom04
    tchrmom04 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone! The good news is that I was able to replace the batteries in the watch portion and it works! I went tonight and determined that I burned 317 in the full hour class. That actually was higher than I thought. I had been guessing about 200 to be safe. So that was good news! :)

Sherry
  • ehansroth
    ehansroth Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm new to My Fitness Pal and I'm just curious how you enter Body Pump class into the fitness diary? Do most of you add it as 60-minute cardio with the amount of calories burned, even though it is primarily a strength training class? That seems to be the most obvious way since the strength training doesn't give you the option of entering calories.

Thanks!