Scary, tanning booths.

Options
I always knew tanning booths were not good for you but they are really getting worse and worse! I was watching the news today and they said that individuals under the age of 30 who have used tanning booths in their life have a 75% better chance of developing skin cancer or other types of cancer due to the mass amounts of radiation from tanning beds, than people who never use tanning beds. They are also considering banning tanning salons and beds in the future because of how astronomical the numbers of skin cancer cases have gotten since tanning beds first were introduced to the public. That just scares the living crap out of me. I know people say, "oh well your going to die someway so why not tan in tanning beds." but really it is like suicide, you are literally killing your body and your skin by going to these. I feel stupid for using them for so many years, but I am not going to EVER again. I still go out in the sun, but always wear sunscreen and I think I am going to start using self tanner. But anyways, just wanted to put the word out there, maybe help people save their skin!:happy:

:heart: Danielle

Replies

• magichatter06
    magichatter06 Posts: 3,593 Member
    Options
    Thanks! That is good information. I have never been in a tanning bed and don't plan on it!:flowerforyou:
  • tubbytabbytales
    tubbytabbytales Posts: 5,883
    Options
    I never felt the need to do tanning beds.

But after watching Final Destination 3, it was absolutely NOT an option. :laugh:
  • mamaof2girls
    mamaof2girls Posts: 332 Member
    Options

But after watching Final Destination 3, it was absolutely NOT an option. :laugh:

LOL!! :laugh: My mom has a tanning bed in her spare room. I wouldn't go in there after I saw that movie!!!!!
  • barbarella
    barbarella Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    I heard this on the radio today too! :frown:

Tanning beds are now right up there with smoking and
    all other toxic things that encourage cancer. Yikes.....
  • pettmybunny
    pettmybunny Posts: 1,986 Member
    Options
    MMMMMM I love the tanning beds. So warm. So cozy. So warm. I could (and do sometimes) fall asleep. Unfortunately, I only go for 10 minute stretches so it's not a long nap! I'd never tanned until I got married (I was 34). I loved being tan, and kept it by going just once or twice a week. Until I had some medication that I took and couldn't have prolonged exposure. So, pasty white for a couple of years. Now I'm tanning again, because we are going on a cruise at the end of the summer, and I don't want to fry to a crisp the first time I step out on deck (I'm a light skinned redhead).

Really though, I think my mood has improved since tanning. I probably have a severe case of SAD that never goes away, lol.

Thanks for the warning though.
  • RedHotRunner
    RedHotRunner Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    I use to use them. Now i swear by Jergans self tanning lotion. I've had two people comment on my "tan" in the last week.

And i did just have a pre-cancerous cell removed. Honestly, it wasn't that big of a deal. But i'm up for a full body scan next month. Hopefully it will turn out well.

I think getting a scan regularly is just as important as using sunblock.
  • neenaleigh
    neenaleigh Posts: 584 Member
    Options
    i watched this too! scary!:huh: i used to go, but not all that often...I kow im never going again though!:noway:
  • mojomcgee
    mojomcgee Posts: 50
    Options
    I live in western washington where it rains so much that we get SAD (seasonal adjustment disorder) and a lot of people go to the tanning salon to ward off depression. I did it a few times but once they changed the bulbs and although I went for the same breif time period I got very burned then I started noticing brown patchy spots on my skin. The Dr told me to stay away from them and take2000 unit of vitamin D daily since I don't get enough sun and was deficient when tested. I have done permanent damage to my skin and have had a skin cancer frozen off my nose...not pretty. Trust me - tanning beds are out!
  • licia67
    licia67 Posts: 109
    Options
    When my father-in-law died from skin cancer, that was more than enough to convince me that having a sun tan is not an option.
    It is a miserable painful way to go....
  • naugustyniak
    naugustyniak Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    I also have SAD and my doctor actually recommended tanning beds, only once or twice a week MAX and for no more than 10 minutes each time. I don't go during the summer but do in the winter. The max I stay in is 7 minutes. It makes me feel so much better and was able to cut my dose of antidepressants to half. I am hoping that this year with the exercise regimen and tanning I can cut out the meds altogether.
  • jjohnson0882
    Options
    I'm one of those people who puts my skin before anything else. I even started using anti-wrinkle creams at 18. :smile:

But I'm so mad that this summer has been overcast and cool (In West Michigan), and I haven't been able to go outside and get a tan naturally (wearing SPF 30 or 50 ofcourse). And since my birthday is coming up in a few weeks and all I really want is a nice tan I'm allowing myself to go about 6 times just for the occasion. Through the winter I always use sunless tanning lotions though. Does anyone have good ones to reccomend?
  • mommared53
    mommared53 Posts: 9,543 Member
    Options
    I'm weird I guess but I like being pale (I'm a fair skinned redhead). I've never used a tanning bed and I try to stay out of the sun as much as possible and I stock up on sunscreen. In my mind when you tan, you're cooking your skin. It's like when you put a slice of bread in the toaster. :noway:
  • naugustyniak
    Options
    I'm weird I guess but I like being pale (I'm a fair skinned redhead). I've never used a tanning bed and I try to stay out of the sun as much as possible and I stock up on sunscreen. In my mind when you tan, you're cooking your skin. It's like when you put a slice of bread in the toaster. :noway:

I don't mind being pale either, actually even when I tan I only get "beige" and that doesn't last long. I like to think of it this way, when I am 70 (I used to say 50 but I am really close to that now :laugh: ) years old and don't have skin that looks like a leather hand bag, it will all be worth it. Like I said, I only do it from about October to March or April and only minimally and wouldn't even do that if it didn't help me mentally. :noway:
  • kimber607
    kimber607 Posts: 7,128 Member
    Options
    Hi

I hate to sound overly judgmental but it's hard for me to wrap my brain around the fact that in this day and age with all the information available to us anyone would use a tanning bed or smoke (or for that matter, sunbathe w/ out s/s ) etc

BUT, I feel strongly that all have the right to make our own decisions and live with the possible consequences

Kim
    A.K.A. Casper
  • naugustyniak
    Options
    Hi

I hate to sound overly judgmental but it's hard for me to wrap my brain around the fact that in this day and age with all the information available to us anyone would use a tanning bed or smoke (of for that matter, sunbathe w/ out s/s ) etc

BUT, I feel strongly that all have the right to make our own decisions and live with the possible consequences

Kim
    A.K.K. Casper

I didn't take that as judgmental but you could also say the same about pretty much anything you buy at a grocery store or eat out. In this day and age (sound just like my granny here) almost anything and everything will eventually kill you. I quit eating meat because I was having these awful migraines. Once I stopped eating meat, the migraines stopped (did some experimenting with eliminating other things also before this happened.) My doc says it could be the hormones or antibiotics or even the pesticides used near the grain the animals eat...who knows. All I know, is I am TRYING to make the best decisons possible. For me tanning is not ideal but in order for me to make it through the winter months without having a nervous breakdown (seriously) I do it.
  • NykkieC
    NykkieC Posts: 622 Member
    Options

OMG I tanned shortly after I watched that movie and every little creak and sound made me freak out!!
    I don't tan anymore and I'm glad I don't.

Does anyone have a self tanner that works really well?
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    TheMaidOfAstolat Posts: 3,222 Member
    Options

Nope you're not weird...I love being pale! :bigsmile: I use spf 70 everywhere...face and body.
  • presariofaded
    Options
    OMG I tanned shortly after I watched that movie and every little creak and sound made me freak out!!
    I don't tan anymore and I'm glad I don't.

Does anyone have a self tanner that works really well?

I've been using Jergans revitalizing self tanner for fair skin for about a week and i love it. not that big of a difference, but I was WHITE, (pale, redhead here) and now I actually have some color. :drinker: and it makes your skin very soft so thats a plus. also it doesnt make you orange and it's fairly inexpensive.
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    Hi

I hate to sound overly judgmental but it's hard for me to wrap my brain around the fact that in this day and age with all the information available to us anyone would use a tanning bed or smoke (of for that matter, sunbathe w/ out s/s ) etc

Kim
    A.K.K. Casper

I didn't take that as judgmental but you could also say the same about pretty much anything you buy at a grocery store or eat out. In this day and age (sound just like my granny here) almost anything and everything will eventually kill you. I quit eating meat because I was having these awful migraines. Once I stopped eating meat, the migraines stopped (did some experimenting with eliminating other things also before this happened.) My doc says it could be the hormones or antibiotics or even the pesticides used near the grain the animals eat...who knows. All I know, is I am TRYING to make the best decisons possible. For me tanning is not ideal but in order for me to make it through the winter months without having a nervous breakdown (seriously) I do it.

There are various lights available for S.A.D. I can't afford one, but I can't afford tanning either. :tongue:
  • naugustyniak
    Options
    Hi

Kim
    A.K.K. Casper

There are various lights available for S.A.D. I can't afford one, but I can't afford tanning either. :tongue:

I know, I can't afford it either. I am looking into seeing if my insurance might pay for it. My tanning place is really pretty inexpensive and since I don't go much it isn't bad. Still hoping for a light though.