How can I possibly eat enough calories?

I'd like to at least eat 1200 cal net, but it's getting really hard for me to do this AND eat healthy, especially when I exercise. Well I don't want to give up exercise, so that's out.

On a typical day (like today) I'm going to end up probably 500-700 under after I exercise. Not only will I not be hungry after dinner, but it seems like the only way to eat those back is if you eat sweets or carbs or something. I usually get enough protein and fiber, and if I eat more vegetables that doesn't add much in the way of calories.

Also, it's expensive enough to buy the food I eat now, I couldn't imagine buying all this extra food in order to consume 500 more calories a day!

Is there a relatively cheap (AND HEALTHY) way to eat back all these calories? I could eat peanut butter and bread, or whole wheat pasta, but it still doesn't seem healthy.

Replies

• sgoldman328
    sgoldman328 Posts: 379 Member
    Do not be afraid of calorie-rich foods.

half an avocado has 161 calories -- add to your salad

use olive oil when sauteeing veggies

Don't be afraid of bread, pasta, rice, or peanut butter.

You need to feed your body to allow it to streamline itself

http://collegecookingandironchefamerica.blogspot.com/
  • lizard053
    lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
    Get in fatty foods - fish, avocado, nuts, seeds - they will help boost the number of calories you eat without endangering the eating healthy issue. They are all sources of healthy fats you need anyway! Not all fat is bad for you! Peanut butter (no sugar added) is excellent. As is whole grain bread. Even better, look for Ezekiel bread (a.k.a. sprouted grain bread) for an even healthier whole grain bread choice.
  • daffodilsoup
    daffodilsoup Posts: 1,972 Member
    Why don't peanut butter or whole wheat pasta seem healthy? PB is a great source of fat and packs a little protein, and whole wheat pasta is delicious mixed with veggies or some pesto.

Eat whatever sounds good to you - the important thing is maintaining the calorie deficit that MFP provides.
  • Sophie983
    Sophie983 Posts: 119 Member
    Nuts. Bazil nuts, almonds, walnuts, hazelnuts ... 1 ounce of nuts contains between 150 and 200 calories.
    Cottage cheese with tuna and herbs and spices.
    Cottage cheese with fruit and a bit of stevia or honey (it's very nice desert).
    Avocado salad.
    Brown rice, whole grain pasta

Have larger breakfast.
  • escloflowneCHANGED
    escloflowneCHANGED Posts: 3,038 Member
    I set up may day for 2300 calories because I know I will burn 600-700 calories at the gym tonight. I couldn't eat that at night after my workouts. My Diary is all red for the day and then at night after the workout I will eat something more to get those extra calories I need, usually only 100-200 so thats not a big deal.
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Nothing wrong with healthy carbs, and they'll help fuel your workouts. Get your potatoes, pasta and bread on!
  • BrunetteRunner87
    BrunetteRunner87 Posts: 591 Member
    Nuts are a good idea! I just don't like the idea of eating a whole lot of pasta and peanut butter and bread because that's how I got to be fat, and I know it should be OK in moderation, but I still get a bad feeling.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Nuts are a good idea! I just don't like the idea of eating a whole lot of pasta and peanut butter and bread because that's how I got to be fat, and I know it should be OK in moderation, but I still get a bad feeling.

These are good foods. You most likely were not exercising & eating those foods before. You probably we're watching your portions either.

Whole grain pasta & bread is higher in protein, nutrients and fiber than regular pasta & breads. If you changed from white bread to wheat ... you ARE making "better" choices.
  • BrunetteRunner87
    I've been eating whole wheat for as long as I can remember (well since some time in high school) just because it tasted better, so I don't have any room to improve there I guess...
  • khbutterfly
    khbutterfly Posts: 17 Member
    How funny, I was just going to post the same question you did. I was just looking at my food log thinking where can I get an extra 200 calories to get my 1200 for the day. I don’t like to eat my exercise calories and trying to get to 1200 cals a day can be hard with eating healthy is hard, so I can relate. I’ve already had a protein bar for snack this afternoon and plan on eating an apple around 4pm before my kickboxing class, then dinner at home…it’s hard to sneak in those extra cals when you’re not hungry too. Anyhow, just wanted to let you know I CAN RELATE. 
  • BrunetteRunner87
    How funny, I was just going to post the same question you did. I was just looking at my food log thinking where can I get an extra 200 calories to get my 1200 for the day. I don’t like to eat my exercise calories and trying to get to 1200 cals a day can be hard with eating healthy is hard, so I can relate. I’ve already had a protein bar for snack this afternoon and plan on eating an apple around 4pm before my kickboxing class, then dinner at home…it’s hard to sneak in those extra cals when you’re not hungry too. Anyhow, just wanted to let you know I CAN RELATE. 

Yeah! It's not that I'm against eating the extra calories. I'm just often not hungry and fruits and vegetables don't take up that many.
  • khbutterfly
    khbutterfly Posts: 17 Member

Yeah! It's not that I'm against eating the extra calories. I'm just often not hungry and fruits and vegetables don't take up that many.
    [/quote exactly!!:smile:
  • k8lyn_235
    k8lyn_235 Posts: 507 Member

i agree with both of you! i'm at 1200 cals/day and i am usually 100-200 cals under. i usually make up for it at the end of the week though.
  • Meaganandcheese
    Meaganandcheese Posts: 525 Member
    If bread and pasta are triggers for you, then don't eat them. However, with portion control and the right things added to them, they are very healthy. Whole grains are good for you!

Adding healthy fats and proteins to what you're already eating is the easiest way to add some more calories without much more bulk. Nuts, avocado ... even cheese or full-fat condiments. A little bit goes a long way, adding flavor and (for me at least) overall satisfaction and not feeling deprived.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Don't be afraid of healthy fats, your body needs some dietary fat. Fat has more calories per gram than carbohydrates or protein. One avacado has over 220 calories and is very healthy. Adding olive oil to your cooking will up the calorie count in a healthy and affordable way. Nuts and nut butters will do the same, though these will also add more protein.
  • BrunetteRunner87
    I always cook with olive oil, it's so yummy! Cheese is a good idea I love cheese. What about peanuts? I know regular nuts are good but peanuts are technically peas and not nuts so are they good for you too?
  • cadaverousbones
    cadaverousbones Posts: 421 Member
    Here is a list of some foods that are good for you and will add more calories to your diet.
    -olive oil
    -whole grains :
    pasta
    brown rice
    couscous
    toast
    etc
    -peanut butter (natural/organic)
    -avocados
    -bananas
    -tuna (have some tuna on whole wheat toast as a snack, or eat it alone)
    -string cheese
    -nuts (you can snack on healthy nuts all day long)
    walnuts and almonds are very good for you.
    -greek yogurt
    -organic milk
  • Leiki
    Leiki Posts: 526 Member
    I end up eating a lot of snacks between my meals

an ounce of mozzarella cheese on a slice of whole wheat bread with a cup of low sodium chicken/ veggie broth

a tablespoon of peanut butter and sliced bananas on whole wheat bread

a teaspoon or two of nutella in my Greek yogurt

85% Cacao Godiva dark chocolate

Avocado with a sprinkle of salt

A can of tuna with my salad

Vegetarian chili with a lot of beans and veggies

Hummus dip for your veggies

Guacamole for your veggies or salad

High fiber, whole grain chips or crackers

Sweet potato fries, baked

And I found a recipe for vegan brownies which seems really healthy. I need to try it. I've had a sample which one of my students brought to a potluck, before, and they weren't bad!