How do you lose "the pouch"??

Options
13»

Replies

• Mabohlale
    Mabohlale Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Sometimes you can, sometimes you can't. Our "pouch" is held in by two things-muscle and ligament. If there is not fat, a woman can still have a pouch if the ligaments have been stretched or damaged (the "pouch" in this case is your intestines bulging through the no-longer-tight ligaments). You can regain muscle tone, but not ligament tone--at least not without surgery. Toning muscle will help quite a bit, but won't completely eliminate a pouch if there has been ligament damage. The most common reason for ligament damage is pregnancy. It is important to exercise during pregnancy, but you need to be careful of what kind of exercise you do. The wrong kind late in pregnancy (such as crunches) can cause permanent ligament stretching.
    Extreme obesity can also cause a pouch of excess skin that cannot be worked off. The younger you are, the more elastic your skin will be, and the better chance of things "snapping back" once you lose weight.
    Bottom line- prevention is the best solution, but if it is too late then exercise, lose all the fat, and if the problem remains consider surgery if you can't live with the result.

True, true and double true ... everything this person said is true. =) I was overweight for decades and had three pregnancies where I gained incredibly high amounts of weight (60 pounds) and three C-sections. After all that ... I worked my way down to 116 pounds and was so fit and healthy ... but I always had my "pouch" still.
  • _VoV
    _VoV Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    Even a tummy tuck doesn't solve the problem of the 'pooch' sometimes:

http://www.realself.com/question/tummy-tuck-lower-abdomen-pooch-swelling

Classic, and beautiful pooch: http://m24digital.com/en/2009/08/27/plus-size-glamour/
  • karenlw75
    karenlw75 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I actually wanted to post this question myself, so I'll follow this post. I often feel like i could at least look 'average' sized if I didn't have this tummy problem.
  • k8lyn_235
    k8lyn_235 Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    bump (for later viewing) :)
  • Picola1984
    Picola1984 Posts: 1,133
    Options
    I made a thread on the same problem a while ago and got similar responses.

I have found that over time mine is slowly going down. I think by genetics, I will always be more rounded in my lower abdomen (my Mum has a slight rounded shape to her stomach and she is minute)

I vary my stomach exercises each gym session, alongside balance ball with weights
  • boggsmeister
    boggsmeister Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Walk like a camel, arms straight, legs straight and locked at the knees and bum high up in the air. Walk as much as you can like this, then stand up. You see the difference right away.

I'd pay money if you demonstrated that on video. :)
  • nickinewing
    nickinewing Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Those little electrode thing you stick on 'Ab trainer' things make a bit of difference
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    eat healthy and cardio. lol.
  • cyclerjenn
    cyclerjenn Posts: 835 Member
    Options
    Abs are made in the kitchen. You need to watch what you eat to lose the pooch. Good Luck!

^^Truth.

Balanced diet and keep exercising
  • jb32hss
    jb32hss Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately you will have to eat healthily and wait for the overall body fat to reduce, I've been eating healthily, doing cardio and strengthening exercises 5 days a week for over a month now and I have only just began to see the pouch getting flatter. I guess I'm just lucky that my tum was the first to lose the weight and not the chest like most women!

Jennifer
  • EpiGaiaRepens
    EpiGaiaRepens Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    it's a matter of lowering body fat...and the pouch is like the last place it goes.

It's also key to do heavy lifting- my understanding is that this will help build muscle that burns calories, but also it will help tighten the muscles and somehow it helps keep skin from getting too loose (so i've heard, but I've never had this problem- maybe because I lift? I dunno)....

and cardio to burn fat.

and eat clean to keep from putting new fat on.

So it's nothing you didn't already know. But I'm here to tell ya that it's true. I still have a pouch, but it's 3" smaller than it was just a few months ago! I say it's because I've been eating REALLY clean (low sugar, hardly any gluten, lots of veggies and quinoa) and I been lifting heavy (PR's every week!).
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    Fat loss is all over, but you can target muscles with strength training which will improve the overall appearance in that area.
  • fragilegift
    fragilegift Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I've had six kids, including twins (7lb 1oz, and 7lb 2oz - evicted at 38 weeks), and a 10lb-er. I'm not worried about the evidence that I carried any of them. But that's just me.
  • iqnas
    iqnas Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • kaybug23c
    Options
    thanks for all the great tips and suggestions...I have never had a kid but still have the pouch..I'm gonna try some of your tips...I would also love to see a demonstration of the camel walk...I have never heard of it before.
  • nycstudent
    Options
    There is a 'bicycle' exercise which i have found excellent. You lie on your mat and move your legs as you woukd on a bike, then when that gets to easy pull both legs in towards your chest together and back out, then harder again lie with both legs stretched out and raise to the ceiling and lower back down and up and down till you cant possibly do any more. I have had 2 kids and tried everything under the sun and these definitly work :)

Oh bicycle crunches! Those are hard!!
  • mexy04
    mexy04 Posts: 96
    Options
    bump
  • kaybug23c
    Options
    http://pinterest.com/pin/192458584045996396/

Here is another exercise I found...If you click on this link it will take you to the page click on the picture and it will tell you some great exercises to try!