Healthy gadgets: fitbit vs HRM?????

Options
Hello. I am looking to have a better idea of the calories I burn on a daily basis. The fitbit caught my interest while browsing the tools section of MFP. But I also have heard great things about HRMs. What do you know or could tell me about either or? And as far as HRMs whats the best simplest brand???

Replies

• forest0spirit555
    forest0spirit555 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    bump
  • yesthistime
    yesthistime Posts: 2,051 Member
    Options
    I like the Polar FT4 and FT7 :smile:
  • grnice
    grnice Posts: 96
    Options
    The HRM should only be used to track calories burned from activity, not for an entire day. The Fitbit will track your calories burned for the day based on your BMR and the number of steps you walk throughout the day. It will give you a good estimate but isn't completely accurate.
  • forest0spirit555
    forest0spirit555 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    whats best for wanting to know not only general fitness but also for other sorts of activities such as yoga and circuit training?
  • hummingbird71
    hummingbird71 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I just bought the Pyle sports PHRM38 HRM.... just came in today! I put on and took a smal stroll around my office, to test it out, and I do believe I am gonna enjoy it. I thought the chest strap would give me fits but once I got it on, no big deal. Can not wait to try it out during an actual workout!
  • Dilfster
    Dilfster Posts: 434
    Options
    i just ordered a polar. i did some research and it didn't look like the fitbit was any more accurate than the iPod app i have.
  • ajt917
    ajt917 Posts: 54
    Options
    I love my polar ft4 but honestly dont really know much about the fitbit. I wanted something that was super easy to use and accurate!
  • Agefyter
    Agefyter Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I have the Polar FT4 and love it, it's my second Polar HRM in about 5 yrs. BTW, I've worn it several times all day to track cals burned. Works for me!
  • riannenrings
    riannenrings Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    i have both.

the fit bit is awesome to have in addition to a heart rate monitor because it allows you to have an idea if you are getting in enough steps on a daily basis and also allows you to track how many calories you burn going around walking, or shopping etc to get a more realistic idea of your day. you can sinc your fit bit to your MFP and it will add in calories when you have been active enough to warrant it, and you werent wearing your HRM. id get both!
  • celticgladiator
    celticgladiator Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    i like my fitbit, i like how it tracks sleep and stairs. nothing is completely accurate but it gives you an idea if you've done anything or need to get off your butt and do more.
  • NNAhuja
    NNAhuja Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    I personally LOVE my Polar FT4. It's really easy to use and I have no complaints. I found out about it from MFP users.
    I wear it when I go on treadmills and having my heartrate show on the machine makes me feel awesome. It kind of motivates me. It even keeps track of the calories too, which is great. the FT4 is waterproof (haven't gone swimming with it yet). They are in electronic stores like Best Buy. I think I remember seeing someone say they got theirs from Walmart.
    I've never used a Fitbit before so I can't compare the two.
  • frilly7483
    frilly7483 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I've also got the Polar FT4 and LOVE it! As the others say you only wear it during activity, but when it tells you you've burnt 808 Kcals in 70 mins it's better than a great best friend!!
  • grnice
    grnice Posts: 96
    Options
    I've heard a Bodymedia Fit is the best of both worlds because it will track calories burned throughout the day in addition to exercise and some say it's very accurate. On the downside, you have to wear it strapped to your arm which could probably be cumbersome and everyone might wonder what it is.
  • montana_girl
    montana_girl Posts: 1,403 Member
    Options
    I have the Polar FT4 and love it. I don't know much about the Fitbit, but if you are looking more for accuracy of just your workouts, then a HRM is probably the better choice.
  • Lissakaye81
    Lissakaye81 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    It definately depends on what you do for fitness, what you want to use it for, and how accurate you want. I got the fitbit because I like it syncing to mfp. I like the sleep and floor tracking features. I do a lot of hiking so I love tracking elevation gain, how far in I've hiked, and when I get home I can check out my pace throught the hike and my speed. I really like being able to see my day plotted out visually. I also like the activity record function. That way I can keep track of how much time I am spending exercising. The accuracy is good for daily burn and walking, running, hiking. You want to use other calculators for things like strength training, and it is not water proof. It is water resistant. I know the bodybugg is supposed to be the most accurate but you have to pay a monthly fee. For 87 bucks I am more than happy with fitbit. If you have any other ?'s hit me up if you want :D
  • HiKaren
    HiKaren Posts: 1,306 Member
    Options
    I have a fitbit. But would like to check out that Polar FT4
  • trysha1231
    trysha1231 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Both!
    I have become a wee bit obssessed in seeing what I've burned for the day. My Polar FT4 is awesome for my workouts, I absolutely love it. The FitBIt is great for the rest of the day. You can track your progress and see how much you are burning, how many steps etc etc.
  • TinnedTuna
    TinnedTuna Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I have the Polar FT7 HRM which is brilliant, when your working out it tells you if your in the FAT burning zone or FITNESS zone
    tells you how long you've worked out,
    how many calories burned
    how you burned them, eg. getting fitter or burning fat,
    tells you max and average heat rate.
    I really like it and would recommend one
  • numee2012
    numee2012 Posts: 39
    Options
    i love my fitbit but would comsider getting a heart rate monitor as well. fitbit has encouraged me to do more.
  • redmapleleaf
    redmapleleaf Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Both!
    I have become a wee bit obssessed in seeing what I've burned for the day. My Polar FT4 is awesome for my workouts, I absolutely love it. The FitBIt is great for the rest of the day. You can track your progress and see how much you are burning, how many steps etc etc.

I have both too and I agree with this poster.