Weight Lifting and Calories Burned

Options
Why doesn't MFP log the time spent weight lifting as well as the calories burned doing those exercises? Or, if it does, how do I get it to do that?

Replies

• RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options
    There is a strength training option under cardio.
  • LJC44
    LJC44 Posts: 221
    Options
    Why doesn't MFP log the time spent weight lifting as well as the calories burned doing those exercises? Or, if it does, how do I get it to do that?

I have asked that question before! I wish it logged that time because it's what I do the most! I have to put it under cardio which then the posts show you did a bunch of cardio and mentions the weight lifting but not in the way you will want it. It is weird!
  • nanochic
    nanochic Posts: 8 Member
    Options

Yes, and that's what I was logging stuff under. The problem is that it doesn't even show up as something you did in your reports, nor does it show up in the calories burned section, making it basically worthless. I want to know how to make it show up in calories burned and time spent exercising.
    I have to put it under cardio which then the posts show you did a bunch of cardio

What do you do and what cardio do you log it as? I do deadlifts, squats, shoulder press, lunges, etc. but I'm unsure as to how to log that in terms of cardio.
  • LJC44
    Options

Yes, and that's what I was logging stuff under. The problem is that it doesn't even show up as something you did in your reports, nor does it show up in the calories burned section, making it basically worthless. I want to know how to make it show up in calories burned and time spent exercising.
    I have to put it under cardio which then the posts show you did a bunch of cardio

What do you do and what cardio do you log it as? I do deadlifts, squats, shoulder press, lunges, etc. but I'm unsure as to how to log that in terms of cardio.

I add them all as circuit exercises under my exercises (ex: leg circuit/plyo/chest-shoulder-triceps circuit). Then I will check the box next to the workout I did under cardio. It will say you did cardio including one of the exercises you checked. If you put a check next to 3 different exercises, it will show one. I really dislike it!
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    weight lifting is hard to estimate since it largely depends on how close to your max your are lifting and how must rest you take between sets. for instance i burn weigh more calories in a 30 minute session of heavy lifting than i do for medium weights in tge same amount of time
  • LJC44
    Options
    weight lifting is hard to estimate since it largely depends on how close to your max your are lifting and how must rest you take between sets. for instance i burn weigh more calories in a 30 minute session of heavy lifting than i do for medium weights in tge same amount of time

Yes but it would be nice to be able to post exactly what we did.
  • nanochic
    nanochic Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    LoseIt logs weight lifting based on how much you lifted for how long (sets, reps, time, etc) and how much you weigh. It's not perfect but it's at least something that you can use. I'm disappointed in MFP about that since that's the majority of what I do and I've lost more weight doing weight lifting than I ever did in years of simply cardio.