Fiber etc.

Options
I know we all know about fiber....but I was reading the book "Fiber 35" which is a great book that I go lots of good info from...and then it got to the colon cleansing part and I kind of thought "weird" and stopped reading. Any thoughts on this? On this site there are lots of ads for products to buy, and another book I read mentioned this too.

Notice I didn't make the subject of this post "colon cleansing" haha. I thought fiber was a bit less intimidating of a subject to bring up! ha!

Replies

• strongmom
    strongmom Posts: 72
    Options
    I know we all know about fiber....but I was reading the book "Fiber 35" which is a great book that I go lots of good info from...and then it got to the colon cleansing part and I kind of thought "weird" and stopped reading. Any thoughts on this? On this site there are lots of ads for products to buy, and another book I read mentioned this too.

Notice I didn't make the subject of this post "colon cleansing" haha. I thought fiber was a bit less intimidating of a subject to bring up! ha!
  • PrincessRitty
    Options
    I had this done about 10 months ago, and i dont really know if there were any benefits. I know i felt extremely cold when i came out, but i was told that was due to loosing my "insulation" from inside. I also went for lunch about an hour afterwards, and usualy peppers agree with me ( However they make my mum bloat), but this time i blew up like a big balloon. It did subside, but i dont think that it helped me really. Just an expensive cleanse!!

__x
  • pmkelly409
    pmkelly409 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    I haven't read that book but I have read some interesting ideas online about cleansing and detox.

Can you describe what you read?
  • strongmom
    strongmom Posts: 72
    Options
    Basically the author said that she recommends getting it done every 6 months. She said that it gets rid of all of the environmental toxins that we ingest through every chemical we use and breath in daily. As well as the goods we eat. It clears out waste from areas high up in your colon so aparently you cannot reach them with an enema (another route I will not take)

The toxins part was interesting to me, since I know that we are exposed to so much. Think about all of the processed things we use daily...and the way our foods are processed....
  • julie737
    julie737 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    I've heard conflicting research on colon cleansing and I'm not sure what to believe anymore!
  • yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,784 Member
    Options
    Your body does a fine job on it's own. I've seen some studies done on how many toxins you have in your body before and after a detox. The detox does not change your levels of toxins. In this case they used alcohol as the toxin.
    I would not get a colon cleanse. Save your money for some nice fruit.
  • sgtinvincible
    sgtinvincible Posts: 2,559
    Options
    This was recommended to me as a way to break a weight loss plateau, so I began researching it. Basically, medical professionals say it's quackery, while holistic healers claim it's essential. All I can tell you, is that I decided to increase my fiber intake for a little while just to see on my own if I felt 'better'. What do you know, I do! I really think it's more about your bodies response to ridding itself of its sluggishness, more than scraping the walls of your colon of years of waste. All colon cleansing products I have seen are in essence extremely fiber rich and lots of water. I suggest high fiber and lots of water without the expensive cleansing packaging. Just increase it on your own and you'll feel better. :laugh: