Curves

Options
Im considering joining curves and wondering who has tried it.. Did you like it ? and did you get good results??

Replies

• zinok
    zinok Posts: 185
    Options
    I haven't but I've known people who went to curves. They said it was a great atmosphere and that they felt comfortable there because it was all other women. Plus the one she joined did contests where everyone would bring a healthy food (like fruits or crackers)once a week and whoever lost the most weight that week got to take home a basket with all the healthy goodies in it. It was great motivation for my friend.
  • esphixiet
    esphixiet Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Regardless of the efficacy, I would not give Curves my money as the owner ACTIVELY FUNDS Pro-Life organizations with the profits from Curves.
    I see this as, if you support Curves, you support denying women a right to their bodies.

Sorry to get political, but when I found out I was mad. Just thought people should know where their money is going.

I do strongly recommend finding a local, small-business circuit training business to give your hard earned dollars to. I've heard many many success stories from circuit training, and have had small successes with it myself.
  • joankpoirier
    joankpoirier Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    I did Curves 3 x a week for at least 6 months.. No weight loss. didn't care for. give me p90x any day of the week
  • GuruOnAMountain
    GuruOnAMountain Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I've never been a member but my sister was at one point. I used to sometimes go along with her if we were going out shopping or whatever and just sit in and watch her workout before we went to the shops. I don't know if it was just her Curves because we live in a small town but it was tiny. Actually looked more like someone's living room than a gym.

I also don't like the fact that it is only a 30 minute workout and is on a circuit. I prefer to be able to go to my gym and think, "Right, I want to work on my running so I'll spend 30 mins on a treadmill and I want to work on my strength so then I'll go do some weights". Don't get me wrong, I like going to circuits classes now and again but I wouldn't want to ONLY have that option.

My sister loved it while she was there as there were challenges and you could earn t-shirts the more you worked out etc. but it was quite expensive for what it was and she eventually realised that and went elsewhere.
  • HiKaren
    HiKaren Posts: 1,306 Member
    Options
    Regardless of the efficacy, I would not give Curves my money as the owner ACTIVELY FUNDS Pro-Life organizations with the profits from Curves.
    I see this as, if you support Curves, you support denying women a right to their bodies.

Sorry to get political, but when I found out I was mad. Just thought people should know where their money is going.

I do strongly recommend finding a local, small-business circuit training business to give your hard earned dollars to. I've heard many many success stories from circuit training, and have had small successes with it myself.

Oh geez really????? I was thinking of joining curves. I better find out if thats true for the one in my city. It better not be. I may still have to go against my principles. And try it out anyway. I can't be influenced by the fact they stand for what I'm against. But.... then again... sometimes I shop at Walmart. I go against my principles by shopping there. And I eat meat. There I go again.
  • flicka82
    flicka82 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Love Curves! I used to be a member but didn't lose any weight at the time because I did not change my eating habits at all. I did enjoy the workout and people there though. I thought about joining again once I lost 40 pounds, but I decided to do the home gym thing to save money.
  • jackie0714
    jackie0714 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I belong to curves, waste of money!!! I will be cancelling my membership. They do not motivate, not open on weekends and closed here from 1-3 monday through friday. Not worth it and was a great big mistake on my part. I have lost more weight not going than if i were to go and waste my gas
  • rissadiane
    rissadiane Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    I was part of Curves for a while, and it just didn't do it for me. The weights aren't adjustable, the treadmills are mine were horrific and probably the first treadmills ever manufactured, and I'm going to be completely honest - I love looking at hot men while I work out too :embarassed: (sorry hubby!)

Planet Fitness has a 30 minute circuit which is similar to Curves, but more challenging and adjustable.
  • rebelo3
    rebelo3 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Curves did nothing for me.. the circuit training was nice but there was no weights to add to anything, so you could never advance at all
  • katkins3
    katkins3 Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    Before you join Curves, I suggest you also sample Jazzercise, if possible. Then you can compare and make the choice that suits you. Or maybe try Zumba...
  • wurgin
    wurgin Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I just rejoined - i lovew Curves. Years ago, after my first was 3 years old I decided to lose the baby weight. I did take my food consumption seriously and lost weight, but then I joined Curves and REALLY worked it. IT did reshape my body and help me take off inches and pounds. I felt great, it was fast and easy to fit into my day. I had another baby, and I am back at it, just rejoined, had my 3rd work out and feeline myself getting stronger. Its a great feeling.

Feel free to friend me and we can compare Curves expereinces and ideas
  • ThePhoenixRose
    ThePhoenixRose Posts: 1,985 Member
    Options
    I would advise you to try it. I worked at a local curves and in my time there, i lost only 5 lbs, but 17 inches overall. I burnt 500 calories/ 30 minutes, according to the Curves Smart system. I'm not entirely sure it's accurate, but even if not, i was burning lots, and it was effective.

It is geared towards the older population, so you're find lots of retirees there, but it can be fun. The one thing i would say to anyone who's not had ANY success would be that you can make the workout as hard as you need. it works gently for the retirees, but can be equally as effective for a fit 24 year old, as i was at the time. the harder you work (push/pull/whatever the machine requires), the harder it is. It's a piston essentially, so the faster it goes, the more resistance there will be. Good luck!
  • Uniqlove
    Uniqlove Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I did Curves for awhile. Great way to lose inches! I definitely saw that first before my weight.
    One Curves location was just giving me the service. A different location had classes on their healthy eating plan and other motivators and classes. Every location puts in a different amount of effort and motivation for their clients.

I personally love workout tapes and weight machines. So once I moved I didn't sign up for another Curves. I do see many people lose weight from it. You have to put in the effort as well when you are on the machines.

I agree with rissadiane- I've seen Planet Fitness and my local YMCA put weight machines in a circuit style similar to Curves.

I say if you have the extra money try it out on a month by month membership and see if you life it. A 7 day free trial is not enough to know if you are going to stick with it.
  • MystiqueASAP
    Options
    Maybe check to see if there is a Planet Fitness in your area. They have a circuit training area and plenty of other machines; plus they are pretty cheap. I only pay $10/month where I live. Hope this helps.
  • loves03
    loves03 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    A few years ago I joined Curves and changed my eating habits and lost a lot of weight. I really enjoyed that it was only women. The harder you work the machines the more resistance. I also went daily and sometimes 2x a day. I liked that they measured my inches monthly, I lost A LOT of inches too :)

That being said, a few years later after I gained some weight back, I joined Curves again and didn't like it the second time. I think I was less motivated that time. I say it works as long as you put in the effort.
  • QueenOfShiba
    QueenOfShiba Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I love Curves! It works for me. And despite some people thinking it's only for the old or obese, I was neither when I started. I joined at age 32 and weighed 150 lbs at the time (I'm 5'7"). While I didn't lose weight, I lost 15 inches the first 6 months! Sadly, I took my daughter roller-skating for her birthday and fell on my tailbone so those 15 inches (and more) came back on during my recovery. And then...life happened and I sort of got out of the habit of working out and eating right so I gained some extra poundage these last couple years. BUT, I'm back at Curves and I've already lost a few inches in the two months back.

That said, though, I really do think it depends on the owner/facility. My Curves is really well kept, clean, and big enough for all the machines and moving around. Also, the owner stays up on the newest in training and nutrition and often holds classes for us. She also helps us to set new goals all the time and encourages us with different challenges and what-not. But, since Curves is a franchise, I know that this type of quality is not always consistent.

Aside from the workout and facility, I've also done the Curves diet, and it worked for me. It's very healthy and realistic, and I really love how they zig-zag the calories over a months time so your body will adjust to eating more than 1200 calories for the rest of your life. However, I stopped doing it cause of the planning. Life just got too busy, so mfp works better for me right now, but I do incorporate its basic premise.

So, there you go. That's my experience with Curves. Hope it helps you make a decision that's right for you. Have a happy day!
  • pinkgigi
    pinkgigi Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    When I joined Curves it really worked for me, I loved it but I grew out of it. I was a member for 3 years and lost a lot of weight, but let's face it losing weight is 80% what you put in your mouth, but the 6-week weigh and measures motivated me. I planned to lose 3 kgs every 6 weeks (which I only achieved once), but ended up losing 12 kgs all up there. The final straw was the 6 week challenge which cost ~$90 on top of the membership, which I won but there was no prize. So the $90 was just to get yourself weighed and measured every week, big deal. No photo up on the wall, no article in the newsletter, nothing.

My Curves also had very lazy coaches, they just chatted to members and didn't really do anything at all if you'd been going for a while. I now am a member of a bigger gym, and I really like the classes better than the circuit.

Like anything it is horses for courses, and it may or may not suit you. You really need to think what would work for you and stick to it. If you don't like it or it doesn't work, try something else.

GG
  • mamamc03
    mamamc03 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    They give you a free week. Go for a test drive. I love it when I can afford the time & $$
  • carolinagirl7
    carolinagirl7 Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    Curves is how I got going with being active. I think it can be a great first step in becoming active, or if life changes, and exercise becomes harder to fit into a busy lifestyle. It is an exercise program you don't need to think about. Each Curves has its own personality, but I found each club I joined or visited to have a supportive and friendly atmosphere. I lost weight and inches while on the program. As I grew more accustomed to the workout, I think it became less effective. Kind of pricey, as many gyms in my area have lower fees than curves and more choices.
    I will admit when I finally did leave curves, the manager tried everything she could think of to keep me there, but she did ultimately understand. They were changing their hours, and though I could have probably continued, I don't like being rushed to finish and then be to work (and forget an effective evening workout for me). I went back to a more structured weight program and exercise 60-90 minutes most days now.
  • KelliHatfield1
    Options
    I used to attend Curves, and I loved it! Even if you don't lose tons of weight right away, you lose inches. After the first week or two, my husband said that he could tell a difference in the shape of my body.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!