Running AND lifting…

Options
I’m a runner. A slow runner. I run because I LIKE it. I may love it. I know it does good things for my heart and I’m (technically) in better shape but my shape isn’t improving so much.

I’d like to start a regular lifting routine but it can’t interfere with my running schedule right now (training for my first half marathon). I know you have to give to get, I do understand that but I’m having a hard time figuring out how to mesh running/working/school/single mom/bf’s deployment/lifting into ONE routine.

I know there are other runner’s that lift. HOW do you do it???

Replies

• deekaydee
    deekaydee Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    What is your running schedule like?

I've been running for a while now (2 yrs), and just in the last four months added weight-lifting. I'll be honest, it didn't take long for me to really feel like I wasn't able to really excel at either one while focusing on both. I'm actually more interested in focusing on the lifting at this point, but have a few more races I'm signed up to do so plan to wait until after those and then shift my focus away from cardio/running and more on lifting.

I think you can do both running & lifting, but not without sacrifice in gains on both of them. And if you are training for a half-marathon, I'm guessing you'd find it hard to back off the running much. Perhaps wait until after the half to start focusing on lifting? You may be able to work in a few lifting routines a week before then, focus on getting form down if you're using free weights, etc....and then once your half-marathon is over, get more into the heavy lifting.

My schedule is weight-lifting MWF, intervals on Tuesday, cross-training and/or incline work on Thursday, and one long-ish run on the weekends. That's after backing off on the cardio, and I plan to back off further after my races this spring.
  • just4peachy
    just4peachy Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    Long run on Mondays, Wednesday, Thursday easy, Friday speed work. My long runs are 10 miles at this point. I try to work in at least one circuit training or yoga class/week.

Everything you've said is what I seemed to be finding for myself. Glad to know it's not just that I'm not trying hard enough! Thanks for the advice!!