Half Marathon Question

Options
I'm running my first half marathon in June. So far I'm up to about 7 miles, and I have just been hydrating really well before and after the long runs. I've been reading more and more about people drinking water and even eating during half marathons, and especially during full marathons. I was wondering what you do to keep from getting side stitches while you're running? If I eat or drink anything within an hour of running, I get AWFUL cramps. Have you found this to be an issue on race day? What are your strategies for staying hydrated during your long runs? Thanks!

Replies

• amayarnell
    amayarnell Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I was taught to only hydrate if you feel thirsty. Don't drink just to drink. I never drank unless my body told me during my half. As to eating? The only thing I ate was a gel for energy mid race during my half. Hope this helps!
  • cavaaller_85
    cavaaller_85 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Can you recommend a brand of gel? I've only recently even heard of these and aren't sure what exactly they are.
  • NubianSpirit
    NubianSpirit Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    i have done 5 half-marathons so far & i hydrate during my runs on anything longer than about 3 miles. i have never had any issues with cramping, maybe it's because i run so slowly! i use a run belt with 2-4oz bottles attached. i take small sips on my water about every mile or so with a little more taken to help wash down my gel blocks that i take around mile 6.5-7 in a race. if i take water at a race, i MAYBE drink a quarter of the cup given with the remainder either tossed (or splashed all over myself because i'm just not slick enough to run & drink - even when i use the pinch method).

you definitely want to get used to hydrating during your run because at the longer distances (especially in the heat of summer, assuming you are in the northern hemisphere) you are going to need it. i would recommend trying to figure out how to consume water & what nutrition type stuff works for you while you still have a couple of months to practice with it & see how your body will react to different things. remember, always sip - never gulp.

good luck! :flowerforyou:
  • xgg2rs
    xgg2rs Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I ran my first 1/2 marathon this past fall. I got a cheap belt with 4 little water bottles at Walmart and use that when I run over 7 miles or if it's really hot outside. My drink of choice is powerade zero, I find drinking those they do help with not getting cramps. I drink one of the little bottles about every 4 miles I run or so and find doing so keeps me from cramping up.

If that doesn't work for you, you could plan your long runs in loops near your house so you can stop by and get a drink midway.
  • emelou81
    emelou81 Posts: 9
    Options
    Hi,
    I have run a bunch of half marathons and am currently in training for a full marathon - I am in no way a great runner (comfort not speed is my game!) and I only know what works for me.
    The day before, I make sure I drink plenty and keep myself hydrated. Day of the run, I try and eat 2-3 hours before the run is due to start (which is hard if its an early start but can be worth setting your alarm to get up, eat and then hop back into bed). Drink wise, I try to make sure that I don't drink in the last hour before I get going and wee as much as possible in that last hour. I take water with me but only drink when I'm thirsty and only take sips, not great big gulps. I tend to find that my thirst and hunger switch off while I'm running and catch up when I'm done.
    Good luck and just try lots of things until you find what works for you.
  • amayarnell
    amayarnell Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Gu. Some people don't like the consistency..but I just throw it back like a shot (ha) strawberry banana, vanilla, and chocolate brownie are all decent. I'd try one out before your race to see if you like it. They have other things too like jelly beans for energy.
  • emelou81
    emelou81 Posts: 9
    Options
    Can you recommend a brand of gel? I've only recently even heard of these and aren't sure what exactly they are.

I like High5 energy gels - but again, might be worth some trial and error as to what works for you
  • bigd65
    bigd65 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    do research on chia seeds lots of benefits and a lot of runners use them to stay hydrated. Very interesting info on them and the benefits for runners. Just do a google search
  • NubianSpirit
    NubianSpirit Posts: 101 Member
    Options

if you have an rei nearby, they have an excellent selection of nutrition stuff in easy to consume packages. i actually found little pb&j packets there once, which was quite awesome IMHO. most running/fitness stores are going to have something for you to choose from. as the others have posted, buy a few and try them before the race. there are lots of different flavors & consistencies to choose from - gels, gummy blocks, jelly beans, etc.
  • shyamsasidharan
    shyamsasidharan Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    For a half marathon, hydrating during the run is very important. I would say 0.5 to 1 cup every 2 to 3 miles. If you also need some energy during the run, part of your hydration can be energy drinks. Invest on hydration belt for your long runs.. Nathan's have a good one. If you slowly make it part of your training, you should not feel the cramps, as a matter of fact, it should help you from getting the cramps. If drinking too much at a time bothers you just sip a little bit at regular intervals

Gu is a good gel; I try to for the non-caffeine version. And if you are taking gels, accompanying water consumption is a must.

As for the side stitches, it only occurred to me during my initial days of training. Once your body is used to regular training, it should go away, unless you have something chronic, which should be brought to the attention of a physician.
  • romackmom
    Options
    GU makes products for refueling during long runs. You must refuel anytime you run for over an hour. I train marathoners. Jelly Belly makes sports beans that are pretty good. Also Power Bar makes gels that are good. These products are small and don't fill you up, just give you the carbs and electrolytes you need. If you smell ammonia during or after your run, you are burning muscle...so that's a bad smell and means you need to refuel while running. Also keeps you from bonking. Some people use things like raisins or dates or even crumbled granola bars. Side stitches are from not breathing deeply enough. Breath real deep and exhale hard (rapidly). Usually helps.
  • kellemic
    kellemic Posts: 1
    Options
    I have done quite a few half marathons. They usually have goo & gatorade available. I would check with your race. I like to take advantage of the gatorades. You get the calories & hydration without the cramps.
  • ninamm3
    ninamm3 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    GU bothers my stomach. I used Sports Beans (like Jelly beans) I also took water on practice runs using a hydration belt and drank at ALL the water stations at the actual Half. The only thing I would do different is -skip the Gatorade. I didn't train with it, but I drank it at the race and my stomach was all kinds of ANGRY after that. I.was.miserable.

If you're interested, I write a blog and have a post about my Half:

http://www.runningsforthebirds.com/2011/10/131-miles-blindfolded-alone-and.html

Feel free to add me as a friend ...I'd be happy to answer any questions I can help with. I've only run one Half, but have done several 5Ks and have a FULL on the books for THIS OCTOBER! :)
  • SERinDC
    SERinDC Posts: 93 Member
    Options

I like Shot Bloks and Sport Jelly Beans. Both are chewy unlike GU which basically is like a thick liquid you eat all at once. All of these things pretty much have a combo of carbs, sugar, electrolytes, etc. I take a water bottle with me on almost every run (personal preference and I require a ton of water). I ran a half marathon this weekend and literally poured water from cups at the water stops while running into my water bottle to make sure I had enough. That's probably overkill for most people, but hey, it works for me :)

I've read that whatever GU/chews or supplement you take while running, if you're running more than 60 minutes you should ingest somewhere between 100-250 calories per hour. Of course this also comes down to trial and error and personal preference.
  • chattychick
    chattychick Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Chomps or Sport Jelly Beans. The Chomps are easier to chew (and for me chewing and running seems difficult). June is gonna be hot so you'll want to have hydration down pat!
  • kopmom
    kopmom Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    I love Jelly Belly Sports Beans to use when I race (usually about half way I have them with some water). Make sure if you doing something like this or any other energy type supplements you try them on your training run first.

Good luck, I am training for my second half marathon that is April 1st !!
  • LoveLiveLift
    LoveLiveLift Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    I'm currently training for my first half marathon, so I'm not a very seasoned runner. What works for me is making sure I drink at least a liter of water before my run (spread out over a couple hours), and I carry water with me. I only take small sips when I am thirsty and then I drink another liter as soon as my run is over.

As for GU or gels, I tried them, but I didn't like the taste/consistency. Now I use Welch's fruit snacks for my quick carbs. It works for me. The GUs and carb drinks made my stomach hurt. It's just a matter of finding what works for you.
  • jenajkay
    jenajkay Posts: 3
    Options
    I just ran my first half a few weeks ago. I drank at every other water station. I even walked a few paces to make sure I was actually drinking the water as opposed to wearing it. I used a gel at the halfway point. I feel like this really worked for me. I've done plenty of long training runs (8-10 miles) without water or gel, but during the half I think it really helped me finish strong. I like the CLIF brand, strawberry especially. I also recommend trying one before the real race, so you know what you find palatable and are familiar with the texture. In all honesty though, I don't think the gels are bad at all. I liken them to fruity baby food. Good luck!
  • SMoRZ3
    SMoRZ3 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I run with an 18 oz hand held water bottle. It comes with a pouch that can hold about 2 GU packs.

GU Gels are interesting to get used to. I've found they go down easier once you're running,

I would say whatever you think you want to do during the race, PRACTICE it on your training runs. Don't try anything new on race day, thats never a good idea...

I've found staying hydrated all day everyday, and drinking as needed while on the run will keep the cramps/side stitches away.

You also might want to see how much sodium is in your diet. I know I don't have to worry about it since my face is all crusty after my long sweaty runs! GU and other gels have potassium and other nutrients that will help with cramping and stuff like that...

I've ran several half, full, and ultra marathons.
  • cavaaller_85
    cavaaller_85 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Thanks, you guys! This has been VERY helpful. I'll give these ideas a shot this weekend when I do my 7 mile. And by the way, what is an ultra marathon? Sounds...awful! In an awesome sort of way.