Can I lift without going to the gym?

Options
MrsAgi
MrsAgi Posts: 338 Member
If I've never done any lifting (of any kind at all)? Everyone keeps saying how I need to lift heavy to get that really toned look, and that it's better to start earlier than later..... But I don't have a gym membership & not likely to be able to afford one in the foreseeable. I could probably persuade someonhe to let me borow weights/equipment though.

I'm a bit concerned about how I wil know what to do, how to do it, and how heavy to lift? Are there DVDs out there, or is it really a join a gym situation?

Replies

• RLeighP
    RLeighP Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    If you want the benefit of the weight machines AND free weights, then a gym is good. I use free weights at home with a routine I adapted from classes I used to take. Works for me! I have 2 lb, 5 lb and 10 lb free weights.
  • usedasbrandnew
    usedasbrandnew Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    I would say save up for a few sessions with a trainer to learn good form, then check up with him/her not infrequently to make sure you're doing it right. Check craigslist, I found all kinds of free weights on my local one.
  • fiberartist219
    fiberartist219 Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    I am doing ChaLEAN Extreme with resistance bands. It's a circuit training program and most people do it with dumb bells, but the bands are cheaper and easier to store. I got my DVDs and bands separately from Amazon, and they were cheaper that way. My body is definitely in better shape, and I'm only halfway through the program.

You can also see if your local library has any workout DVDs or books that can give you ideas.

I do have a couple pairs of dumbbells, but if you want to "lift heavy" the heavier the weight, the more expensive the price.... which is why I am working with the bands for now.
  • kgarman
    kgarman Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Can you do push ups? Pull ups? Have a few bucks for some free weights? Have a few extra milk jugs around that? How about a five gallon bucket and some rocks?

You don't need a good gym to develop a weight program. You need something heavy, proper form, and a little creativity.
  • UrbanRunner81
    UrbanRunner81 Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    Check out nerd fitness. He has ton of ideas for getting strong at home.

www.nerdfitness.com