Dessert Every Night a Bad Idea?

Options
I've been eating dessert everynight. Still maintaing my weight but not losing as fast as I want to. I am doing a pretty good job keeping my portions where they should be (most of the time). Just wondering if the desserts might be holding me back.

Replies

• slimmingmom
    slimmingmom Posts: 297
    Options
    They very well could be. It depends on what you are having and how long after eating it you go to bed...
  • Losetheweightnat
    Losetheweightnat Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    :blushing: I can admit i have been eating dessert too but i've still been losing a 1lb a week which isn't bad but yeah it prob is the sweets. i've been trying to burn at least 400-500calories per workout try upping the number of cals you burn in your workouts. if we can steer clear of the sweets too we will prob will lose more. its so hard to do!! :cry: maybe dessert 2x a week..:laugh:
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    I think we'd all be better off if we could get over this sugar addiction.

You know, it's in our evolutionary make-up to crave sweets. Here's hoping we evolve AWAY from it, but I know that won't be in my lifetime. :tongue:
  • havingitall
    havingitall Posts: 3,728 Member
    Options
    Depends on what dessert is. Are you having a piece of fruit or a piece of chocolate cake?
  • gemiwing
    gemiwing Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    It could be holding you back, its true. Try moving away from 'needing' that food reward every night.

Perhaps you could make it something special like sharing a portion every other day with a friend or someone you love.

Or just making it one incredible dessert- once a week. And keeping to the portion is important too.

I tell you what, I almost cried when I finally learned what a 'serving' of ice cream looked like! :sad:
  • fitgal411
    fitgal411 Posts: 668
    Options
    Dessert could be bad or good.

It could be ice cream or frozen yogurt.

It could be candy or fruit.

It could be chips or pretzels.

It could be a root beer float or a low-fat milkshake.

It really depends on what kind of dessert you're talking about. Fruit can be a dessert, too. You could even make it taste even better by putting some whipped cream or nuts on top!
  • kookla33
    kookla33 Posts: 234
    Options
    Where I am at right now is that I feel like I'm missing out if I don't have something for dessert. I guess I have grown dependant on it.

Usually I have ice cream with nuts or dark chocolate. I love ice cream and I crave it. Chocolate too.

I like the idea of dessert two times a week. The hard part is that when ice cream is in the freezer, I can't stop thinking about it!

Everyone in my family loves treats too, and we're always having parties with cake, etc.
  • barbarella
    barbarella Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    Yikes! Ice cream in the freezer calls out to me too! :laugh: :grumble:
    I'm better off without any in there BUTT then the bf loves it too.

Even fruit is very high in sugar, so what to do?
    Portion control is the key...... and the problem! :sad:

I think it's best to carefully pick our treats.
    Enjoy but not overdo!
    2x a week is a great idea! :flowerforyou:
  • hopeitworks
    hopeitworks Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Have you ever tried Jello Sugar Free Rice Pudding? It's only 70 calories per cup, and it's already individually packaged so you don't have to guess about the serving. It's sugar free but it tastes really sweet and creamy. Depending on how many calories I have left, I'll add some cinnamon or a package of the 100 calorie almonds to it. Or sometimes I add a tiny, tiny amount of some Lite Cool Whip (I know many of you out there think Cool Whip is not a good thing!!!)
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    My great grandfather was always a super skinny guy but he always had dinner with dessert.... dessert BEFORE dinner, to be exact. A small portion of something not-so-decadent, but always dessert before dinner. Maybe one day I will give that way a try :wink:
  • firedragon064
    firedragon064 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Dessert is ok as long as you save your calorie for it. For me I like to eat something at the end of the meal as dessert. It meant the end of the meal..
    BTW, frozen grapes is good sub for ice cream craving specially in hot summer 97 degree over here.
  • farfalla_americana
    Options
    Eating a little desert every night is better than avoiding it completely and then eating a half-tub of ice cream 5 days later because you miss it.

Since Ice cream is SO YUMMY, I try to buy the lower-fat vanilla and have only 2 small scoops (which seems like more to my eyes because its 2 scoops but its not really more)

for example
    http://www.hudsonvilleicecream.com/ice-cream/churned/vanilla

see also this article, i liked it:

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/1767734/you_can_snack_on_breyers_vanilla_bean.html
  • fjtcjt
    fjtcjt Posts: 199
    Options
    Obviously you would be better off to avoid dessert. Having something with sugar (carbs) that close to bed is the worst thing you could do. It basically voids all of your good eating and exercise that you have done for the day.

I love icecream too and will have a little now and then, but not every night. If you really want to lose weight, avoid those late night carbs so you can burn fat while you sleep! Try cottage cheese with a little fruit.
  • CasperO
    CasperO Posts: 2,913 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I have a little bowl of Cheerios with a 1/4 cup of 2% and a huge handful of raw cherries. Yummy, fruity, satisfying and good.

Don't spit the cherry pits back into the bowl, it's rude, and you could break a tooth. :laugh:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This is all mostly about calories in / calories out. If you have the calories left, and you want it, and it's not going to throw your percentages all outta whack,,, (and it's not 10 min's before bedtime),,, then you should be able to have it with no problems.

Enjoy,,,
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    Depends on what dessert is. Are you having a piece of fruit or a piece of chocolate cake?

ding ding ding ding ding. We have a winner!

Johnny, tell her what she's won! :tongue:
  • CasperO
    CasperO Posts: 2,913 Member
    Options
    She's won a little butt and a trim thighs if she uses this information properly! :wink:

I'm tellin' ya,,, Cheerios & cherries,,, It's good, and 162 calories.

Breakfast
    Cherries - Sweet, raw, 1 cup, with pits, yields 74 19 0 1 0 0 remove
    General Mills Cereal - Honey-Nut Cheerios**, 0.5 cup (30grams) 55 12 1 1 0 105 remove
    Holiday Pantry 2% Milk - Milk, 0.25 cup 33 3 1 2 5 0 remove
    Add Food Remember Meal 162 34 2 4 5 105
  • jess412
    jess412 Posts: 29
    Options
    i was eating dessert every night and i noticed that i started to put on the weight. so about a week and half ago...maybe?...i cut that out, and i've already lost 2 lbs! nothing exciting, but it's a start.

but to satisfy my sweet tooth, i bought a couple of packages of the Smart One desserts. i haven't had dessert in a while, so i thot i would reward myselft with it. :happy:
  • havingitall
    havingitall Posts: 3,728 Member
    Options

ding ding ding ding ding. We have a winner!

Johnny, tell her what she's won! :tongue:

Don't tell me... I won some fruit!
  • FireMonkey
    FireMonkey Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    Well on South Beach Phase 1 you get dessert every night - usually Ricotta cheese with sweetener and some flavour. Not everybody's cup of tea if you want to avoid sweeteners, but I liked it. One night it was almond flavour and a few chopped almonds sprinkled on top, the next night it would be dark cocoa with or without cinnamon, another night it would be a little lemon juice.
  • mskellyw
    mskellyw Posts: 111
    Options
    Have you ever tried coconut milk ice cream? Purely Decadent (http://www.turtlemountain.com/products/purely_decadent.html) makes one with agave nectar instead of sugar which is lower on the glycemic index. It has less calories and fat then regular ice cream too. It's not a perfect solution, but might be a good step in between regular ice cream every day and no dessert ever...