heart Rate Monitors

Options
Hey does any one have the cost of a Polar (they seem to be the most talked about) heart rate monitor, as i cant get on anything to do with shopping here at work, they filtered the lot!!, and Pc at home is broken!!

Thanks a bunch!!

__x

Replies

• PrincessRitty
    Options
    Hey does any one have the cost of a Polar (they seem to be the most talked about) heart rate monitor, as i cant get on anything to do with shopping here at work, they filtered the lot!!, and Pc at home is broken!!

Thanks a bunch!!

__x
  • Sinnettfamily
    Sinnettfamily Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    about 90 dollars and on up depending on what kind you get. That is off there website.
  • icupfunny2000
    icupfunny2000 Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    i paid 80 for my polar f4
  • burnett50
    burnett50 Posts: 46
    Options
    Do heart rate monitors tell you how many calories burnt when you are excercising? I am looking for something that will help me work out exactly how many I burn up as I think I may be over estimating. Anyone out there know????
  • banks1850
    banks1850 Posts: 3,475 Member
    Options
    burnett, yes they do, and they are very accurate.

PR,

depends on the model.
    F4's are between 60 and 80 usually.
    F6's are between 90 and 100 usually
    F11's are around 120 usually

they do more stuff the higher up you go. And the F6 and above have replacable batteries for the chest strap I believe (or maybe that's just the F11).
    Any of them are GREAT for heart rate monitoring. The more expensive ones add in work out programs and some cool computer upload features so you can track and graph your performance on your computer, and it's done wirelessly too which is nice.
  • PrincessRitty
    Options
    Ok so i found this detail on a F11F, someone tell me if this is a good one to go for!!
    And if maybe a lower cheaper model would satisfy rather than spending the extra??

http://www.improveyourbody.co.uk/productdetail.php?product=2007 Polar F11F Heart Rate Monitor (Orange) &category=Polar Fitness&count=8&quantity=1

Please answer quickly as i want to buy one now!!

_-x
  • jenbar
    jenbar Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    Princess,
    I bought a MIO watch at Walmart for $49 that's a heart monitor, calorie counter, stop watch, inputs your resting heart rate, weight, has an alarm clock, and date. I love it. And you don't need a chest strap.
  • banks1850
    banks1850 Posts: 3,475 Member
    Options
    F11's are top-o-the-line Polars. They are great, but costly.
    I use an F6, I love it. It does most of the stuff the F11 does, but it doesn't have a replaceable battery on the chest strap (they last a few years) and it doesn't have some of the advanced tracking stuff, but all the main stuff is there.
  • sr2000
    sr2000 Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Do all "good" heart rate monitors need a chest strap? I would like to get one, but might go crazy if I had to wear a chest strap, but would like an accurate, good monitor.
  • sr2000
    Options
    Princess,
    I bought a MIO watch at Walmart for $49 that's a heart monitor, calorie counter, stop watch, inputs your resting heart rate, weight, has an alarm clock, and date. I love it. And you don't need a chest strap.
    Does it monitor constant HR or take readings every so often?
  • jenbar
    jenbar Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    You can check your heart rate anytime you want. There are two buttons on the top that you put your forefinger and middle finger on and it tells you your HR and %.
    I'll do it right now, hold on...
    61 at 33%!

I purposely bought this one b/c it's cheap, does the same job as more expensive one and didn't have an annoying chest strap!
  • kelpie06
    kelpie06 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I have an F6 and love it. I think I paid 70 € for it which is like 90 $. It has the chest strap and at first i guess it could bug you, but you get used to it.

I bought a little fancier one for my husband and it has a few more bells and wistles, but for me less is more.

Also, many machines at the gym will give you readings off the chest strap too, so if you are on the treadmill you don't have to be looking at your watch every few minutes.
  • PrincessRitty
    Options
    I bought a PINK F6, wahoo!!
    Thanks everyone!!

I shall be experimenting as soon as i get it :bigsmile:

__x
  • sr2000
    Options
    I just talked to a friend who is a gym owner/personal trainer/helath nut.
    She has tried the polar f4 and now she has an f6, she highly recommends these. Her f6 gives constant readings and works with most gym equipment. So I guess that's what I'll shop for.
  • PrincessRitty
    Options
    Banks you may be able to answer this, (*then agen so may my manual but i dont have that right now)

So i went for a run, and i burnt 214 Cals, it said 30% of those were fat cals, is that bcus i kept my heart rate limit at 'Hard' for alll of the run?

Also are the other 70% of the calories that i burnt, Muscle calories??

Help __x
  • AlbertSchwartz
    Options
    They arn't muscle calories Princess, they are from the cals you have eaten that day, it would onlybe muscle cals if you weren't eating enough.

Al
    x
  • AlbertSchwartz
    Options
    I have a question regarding the HRM's

I've spotted this one
    http://www.fitnessmegastore.co.uk/fitness-equipment/heart-rate-monitors/f11-heart-rate-monitor-2008-polar.htm
    I noticed when i was hunting for one that one site menssioned the chest strap fitted most people but if you were petite you might have a problem.

Well i'm far from petite and my chest is probably around the top fortoes 47 - 48 " is it going to fit me?

Thanks guys

Al
  • sr2000
    Options
    I'm not certain but my guess would be that the regular chest strap would fit you. I just ordered a women's chest strap which is smaller than normal and that is 28-40 inches, besides being adjustable, I think they are stretchy too.. (?) I haven't gotten mine yet, anyone else know how well the chest straps fit?
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    The chest strap is adjustable, and sort of stretchy, so no problem with it fitting.

Without a chest strap, you don't get an accurate calorie burned count, which is why I wanted a heart rate monitor. I love mine! (Polar F11, for the record) My life has turned into one big science experiment. I can't wait to use it on the elliptical tomorrow. (see, huge nerd. :tongue: )
  • astridfeline
    astridfeline Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    Can these be used for swimming?