Picking out workout shoes

Options
How does everyone select the appropriate work out shoe? It is so confusing. I do multiple exercise types(lifting weights, walking/Jogging both outside and on treadmill, recreational biking etc.) and these days there seems to be a separate shoe for everything. Anyone have any suggestions for finding the best one for everything I can't afford multiple work out shoes.

Replies

• Grandysl
    Grandysl Posts: 189
    Options
    I would recommend different shoes for lift and cardio exercises. If you are lifing the extra weight, even just carrying the wights to and from the rack, can crush the support so that the shoes are not as supportive if you go running. As far as shoes for cardio, make sure you get ones that are correct for your feet and make sure they feel comfortable. Try them on with the socks you will where with them.

Hope this helps.
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    How does everyone select the appropriate work out shoe? It is so confusing. I do multiple exercise types(lifting weights, walking/Jogging both outside and on treadmill, recreational biking etc.) and these days there seems to be a separate shoe for everything. Anyone have any suggestions for finding the best one for everything I can't afford multiple work out shoes.

For lifting at least if you can find something with a neutral heel you're better off. I just bought a pair of Nike Free 2.0 and they've been great so far.
  • Lrt4uk
    Lrt4uk Posts: 174
    Options
    I went into a shoe store today at lunch time. I was so confused. I ended up leaving with shoes for 2 of my kids and none for me. I'm so bad!
  • rfechter
    rfechter Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I am thinking of actually going to a specialty store where they still have sales personnel that will help. It just that the shoes there are so much more expensive.
  • Amburglar
    Amburglar Posts: 32
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I am thinking of actually going to a specialty store where they still have sales personnel that will help. It just that the shoes there are so much more expensive.

definitely do this! I have different shoes for lifting than for cardio. They'll take a look at your pronation and recommend from there. They can be pricey...BUT, they are your feet and you spend your life on them!
    Good luck! :-)
  • Bookers23
    Bookers23 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Cannot say enough good things about getting fitted. That said, I just discovered inov-8 and love them. Great for lifting and squats etc due to low heel, enough support for jogging and just all around comfortable. I always wanted to jump on the barefoot wagon but could not handle the adjustment period, my feet just hurt. These are geared towards the barefoot crowd but offer a tiny bit more support, a real tiny, tiny amount. That little bit has made all the difference, I wear them for everything.
  • tnrunningnurse
    tnrunningnurse Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    I am a runner and I went to my local running store and had my gait analyzed after suffering from ankle pain. I was running in the wrong shoe...so if you run alot you should consider this. I use the same shoe for running as I do for elliptical and lifting.