Disney World or Universal Studios (Harry Potter)

Options
applebobbrush
applebobbrush Posts: 235 Member
Okay I could sure use some help in making a vacation decision. We got notice that we are extending our spring break trip, originally planned on us going to Washing D.C. for 5 days. Now we are going to D.C. for 5 days then flying to Florida so my husband can attend a work conference. My husband's boss has offered to pay for my daughter and I to go to Disney or Universal for a day. We are only in Florida for half a day (the day we land), one full day and then half a day the day we fly home. I am trying to decide which one Disney Park to go to or Universal Studios Island Adventure, which is where Harry Potter is located.

It's just my 12 yr. old daughter and I going to the park and we plan on wanting to spend the whole day there.

Which one would you choose and why?

Replies

• mae1020
    mae1020 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Disney World's Magic Kingdom is my vote!!! I haven't been to Universal Studio's yet.
  • GuruOnAMountain
    GuruOnAMountain Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I've never been to either (I'm in the UK and can't afford the air fare) but I've been to Disney in Paris and thought it was wonderful! And I've heard Disney in the USA is 100 times better.

I guess it depends on your daughter, though. Is she still quite 'little girl-ish' for a 12 year old or is she already rapidly approaching the teenage years and thinks she's too cool for Mickey and Minnie. I'd say if she's still young-ish, go for Disney and make the most of her being a little kid while you still can but if she's already outgrown the little kid stage, then opt for Universal.

By the way, your husbands boss is very generous!
  • skylark94
    skylark94 Posts: 2,036 Member
    Options
    I live about an hour from Orlando, so I've been to both Disney and Universal recently.

I think your choice may depend on your daughter's maturity and if she likes big rides. If she's into coasters, Universal is definitely a great park, but it doesn't have as much is the way of "kiddie rides". I can never spend more than about a half day in Islands of Adventure, but I tend to only do the big rides.

Disney has more variety, but not as many thrill rides. You would probably have better luck filling a day at Disney. I'd rather be pecked to death by a duck than ever spend another day in the Magic Kingdom, but that's just me :laugh:
  • spicy618
    spicy618 Posts: 2,114 Member
    Options
    Universal is my vote.

It's great for all ages in my opinion. I love it. :smile:
  • gwenguin
    gwenguin Posts: 74
    Options
    both are fun... went to both when i was 12... disney was a bit babyish...? if she likes scary rides universal, if she likes shows then disney...
  • sarvissa
    sarvissa Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    We were just at Universal 2 weeks ago. The Harry Potter section is incredibly cool! When it first came into view, it seriously took my breath away, and I'm not even a huge Harry Potter fan. My 13 yr old daughter (who thinks she's the coolest thing since sliced bread and never shows any emotion) was just speechless! The excitement in her was amazing! We bought her a wand (the famous Elder Wand!) and she's been coveting that ever since. We tried Butter Beer, bought some Bertie Botts Every Flavor Beans (although haven't been brave enough to open the package yet!). There is a lot there other than roller coasters, and kids of any age would have a blast.

As far as Disney, there are several parks, and really can only do one per day. There's Magic Kingdom, Animal Kingdom, Epcot, Hollywood Studios, etc. I've been to all but Epcot, and they are cool too.

Honestly, my vote would be Universal Islands of Adventure, it was SO cool! If you go, you HAVE to ride the Forbidden Journey in Harry Potter... I've been to tons of theme parks in my life, and that has to be the best one I've ever been on!
  • scarlettd12
    scarlettd12 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Hmm tough choice. I love love love Disney...any park!! I really like Hollywood Studios because it has Tower of Terror and the Rockin' Roller Coaster which are two of my faves! But Magic Kingdom also has a ton of great stuff too!! Don't forget Typhoon Lagoon. I was just at Disney a couple months ago for about a week and we spent 2 full days in Typhoon Lagoon. If it's hot out, that's the place to be.

As far as Universal, Harry Potter land is fabulous! I have never read HP or watched the movies, but I was still amazed. The one HP ride that is in the castle....coolest ride I have ever been on, hands down. I wanted to ride it over and over and over again. But, in my opinion, that is the only real cool thing Universal has going for it. Yeah there are some really cool rides there ( I really enjoyed the Spiderman ride and The Hulk rollercoaster) but we got bored with the place after only a few hours and ended up leaving.

So with that being said....I think the Harry Potter land is worth the trip to Universal. But I think Disney is going to fill up your day more.....and I would lean toward Disney. But if your daughter is a HP fan, definitely do it. haha Can you tell I'm bad with decisions??? Hope my input help! No matter what you do, you'll have a blast! Enjoy!
  • applebobbrush
    Options
    Thank you all very much. Yes my husbands boss is amazingly generous to all of his employees and their families. I think after reading these Universal may be our destination. My daughter is definitely mature for her age, I swear she is 12 going on 30 sometimes. Plus she loves Harry Potter. I just hear so many amazing things about both parks and this is most likely a once in a lifetime opportunity for us, we wouldn't have the money to do the Florida stuff if it wasn't for my husbands boss.

Thanks everyone!
  • DisneyAddictRW
    DisneyAddictRW Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    I'm a Disney fan. I love Magic Kingsom and Hollywood Studios. Rockin roller coaster!
  • theoriginaljayne
    theoriginaljayne Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    Definitely Universal Studios – Harry Potter was awesome.
  • HealthyHappy120
    Options
    WIZARDING WORLD.

BECAUSE IT'S BETTER THAN REALITY. You won't regret it.
  • toniandrws
    toniandrws Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    If she like coasters Universal . I love Disney, but my son (15) has outgrown the experience.
  • Lindseysund8
    Options
    I actually just got back from Universal a few days ago and would highly recommend it. I think Disney might be more geared to younger kids and I think that Universal would better suit a 12 year old. Especially if you like roller coasters. Its definitely the place to be.
    I would also recommend to go on the single passenger line for the harry potter and the forbidden journey ride. Line is almost always 120 minutes and you cant even see each other on the ride. You'll get right on with single rider. They also try and stick you in a locker line to tack on wait time. You can get to the lockers through the souvenir shop entrance to avoid that line. Have fun!
  • trina614
    trina614 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I live in FL the real question is am I going to a park to ride kick butt rides and see Harry Potter World or am I going to eat and drink my way around the world? Both are very fun and for the most part I go to Universal but I must say that it is hard to beat drinking my way around the world in one afternoon at Epcot. Besides Epcot I never go to Disney. For your daughter go to universal way more fun!!!!
  • applebobbrush
    Options
    I actually just got back from Universal a few days ago and would highly recommend it. I think Disney might be more geared to younger kids and I think that Universal would better suit a 12 year old. Especially if you like roller coasters. Its definitely the place to be.
    I would also recommend to go on the single passenger line for the harry potter and the forbidden journey ride. Line is almost always 120 minutes and you cant even see each other on the ride. You'll get right on with single rider. They also try and stick you in a locker line to tack on wait time. You can get to the lockers through the souvenir shop entrance to avoid that line. Have fun!

Great info thank you!!
  • Nymeria42
    Nymeria42 Posts: 21
    Options
    Universal Studios because they have sweet rides! And you can do it all in a day unlike Disney World. Not to mention it has the wizarding world of harry potter.
  • HotBodUnderConstruction
    Options
    The Wizarding World of Harry Potter was AMAZING :love:
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    There's too much at Disney to see in one day. Universal! The Harry Potter stuff is really cool.
  • hush7hush
    hush7hush Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    Universal Studios! They just seem to have a lot more going for them. Disney seems to be aimed toward younger chlidren, while US seems to be more for like pre/teen-adult.
  • tlath70
    tlath70 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I absolutley love Disney (Hollywood Studios is fantastic)! I have also been to Universal, my kids loved the rides. Unfortunately for me, I could not ride much at Universal because they do not accomodate larger guests (I do not have a large belly, but I have very wide hips). I was unable to ride most of the thrill rides (which I was very much looking forward to) and could not ride the Harry Potter ride either. I was very disappointed with Universal, because I can ride any and everything I wanted to at Disney. Needless to say, it was a very humiliating day for me. Just wanted to give you a heads-up, as I do not know what your build is like.

I do agree with all of the other posters about how amazing the Harry Potter experience is...being a huge HP fan myself. You should definately save some calories for a butter beer!

Side note: my future NSV is to get on that damned Harry Potter ride, come hell or high water for my next trip to Orlando!! But will definatley also make a stop at Hollywood Studios. :happy:

I hope you and your daughter have a great day in whichever park you choose.