Spring Break or a Vacation

Options
Hi there,

I went to Florida for Spring Break and decided I would not record everything for that week or so. I knew it would throw me off and that it would take me some time to get back into the routine, but it was worth it.

I had lost 9 lbs. in 13 weeks, before the trip. I have come to trust the mfp process and have felt successful so far. I found that it was good to have a break from the routine and that when I came back, I enjoyed recording everything again and feeling back in control.

I did realize ahead of time that it would probably be 2 weeks off and it was. I did not over eat on the trip, and I did exercise. (Walks on the beach! And the hotel had an exercise room.)

My point is that it is good to take a break once in a while. It won't hurt the overall process, but give you a fresh start when you come back.

I do believe it was important that I had spent 3 months, prior to the trip, recording everything.

I just finished recording my first week back. So it can be done. You can take a week off or so and get back to it with a fresh perspective.

What has been your experience with vacations?

Blessings to you,

Connie Lynn

Replies

• ConnieLynn
    ConnieLynn Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Hi there,

I went to Florida for Spring Break and decided I would not record everything for that week or so. I knew it would throw me off and that it would take me some time to get back into the routine, but it was worth it.

I had lost 9 lbs. in 13 weeks, before the trip. I have come to trust the mfp process and have felt successful so far. I found that it was good to have a break from the routine and that when I came back, I enjoyed recording everything again and feeling back in control.

I did realize ahead of time that it would probably be 2 weeks off and it was. I did not over eat on the trip, and I did exercise. (Walks on the beach! And the hotel had an exercise room.)

My point is that it is good to take a break once in a while. It won't hurt the overall process, but give you a fresh start when you come back.

I do believe it was important that I had spent 3 months, prior to the trip, recording everything.

I just finished recording my first week back. So it can be done. You can take a week off or so and get back to it with a fresh perspective.

What has been your experience with vacations?

Blessings to you,

Connie Lynn
  • msarro
    msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    When I was 12 I went on a cruise to bermuda, and they told us that its a good idea to exercise because the average cruise-goer on a week long cruise gains about 10 pounds!

However if you go on a vacation, depending where you go you might be doing a bunch of exercising anyways, so your milage may vary.
  • ConnieLynn
    Options
    I know that cruises are dangerous for weight gain. I think some cruises lines have adjusted so that you can stay on your diet while you cruise. I love cruises!

Connie Lynn
  • banks1850
    banks1850 Posts: 3,475 Member
    Options
    not only do I agree with taking a break, I encourage it. I did it late january, and it was just what I needed. I went on a cruise and it had LOTS of food. I stayed pretty true to my lifestyle though (went a little higher then normal, but not crazy, and tried to eat pretty healthy), and even though I came back 3 lbs heavier (Probably because of all the alcohol) It was very easy to take that weight right back off and continue. I felt revitalized after that and ready to continue. It was perfect timing for me. About 4 months in and I was pretty much at maintenance weight at that point (maybe needed to drop 3 or 4 more but...).
  • ConnieLynn
    Options
    It is good to know that you can take a break, even go a little overboard, and not feel like you've thrown the towel in. Good perspective.

Connie
  • ConnieLynn
    Options
    Anyone else had time off and made it back to MFP?

Connie Lynn
  • LightenUp_Caro
    LightenUp_Caro Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    I've been on several cruises and we all heard that it was really easy to gain weight on cruises, so instead of using the elevators, we just took the stairs EVERYWHERE.
    I lost 6lbs on my first cruise and somewhere around 4-5 on every one after that.

Vacations are good for breaking through maintenance, your body gets used to what you're doing and it needs a change every now and then to get back to the losing state.

I'm trying to be good this month because next month I go to San Francisco for my 21st birthday!
  • rem1979
    rem1979 Posts: 344 Member
    Options

MAJOR JEALOUSY!!! I know you are from the Chicago area too and I would love to get away from this weather. It's getting better but still too chilly for me!