Keep going over on Protein?

I am new to the site (wich I love) and I am consistently under 1200 calories, even if I try to eat 1200, under for carbs, and break even on fat....but I keep going over what is suggested in protein. I am trainig for a Tough Mudder so am doing some relatively demanding physical activity (1 hour hard aerobic 5x week. weights 3 days) and thought protein was good if thats the case. Should I try and lower it? I usualy go over by about 20g

Replies

• susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    You can change the goals to suit yourself. I changed mine. I don't find 15% to be enough if I'm exercising hard.
  • MikeSEA
    MikeSEA Posts: 1,074 Member
    If you're under on your calories, 20 extra g of protein isn't going to hinder weight loss. No, don't lower it.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    The MFP setting is the current medical recommendation for the average American adult. If you are training hard, you are doing more than the 'average adult' and probably need more. If you have any known medical conditions a call to your doctor to make sure extra protein isn't a problem might be wise, but if not the extra protein is unlikely to be a problem.
  • doubglass
    doubglass Posts: 314 Member
    A lot of body builders and endurance athletes eat a lot more protein than is recommended by this program. Science seems to support higher protein consumption for these folks but there is no agreement on what level of protein you should consume. So, unless you are way over, I wouldn't worry with your exercise routine.
  • holthaus30
    holthaus30 Posts: 58 Member
    To give you an idea MFP calls for 80-100g for me and I try and shoot for 160-200g.
  • azaborow1
    azaborow1 Posts: 20
    Thanks so much for everyone's posts - I am going to try and change the settings, but if not, I will no worry too much about it - I just feel so much better physically that it is worth it, and will make me stick to this.
  • TheUnwritten
    TheUnwritten Posts: 158 Member
    I always go over my protein. I like my chicken well meat in general I'm a carnivore lol.
  • jessamy
    jessamy Posts: 2 Member
    I changed mine to 40/30/30. I didn't like having carbs so high, x& I need the extra protein
  • Rachiepie6
    Rachiepie6 Posts: 423 Member
    If you are training hard, you may need more cal's, if you start to feel worn down, definitley up them to see if it helps, don't worry over the protein, if you were over in fats or carbs it would be a diff story.

also, remember, everyone is different :) i need my carbs too
  • laddyboy
    laddyboy Posts: 1,565 Member
    Set your protein for 1 gm per lb of body weight. You should also not be trying to go under your calories. You're already set for a deficit. Your goal is that...a goal. Hit it everyday and eat your exercise calories.
  • BJPCraig
    BJPCraig Posts: 417 Member
    You can either change it (as others have suggested) or ignore it (which is want I do). When was originally having the same concern, I asked my doctor about it. His reply was, "Look, if you eat nothing by protein, that can be really dangerous. But it sounds like your diet is pretty balanced, so I wouldn't worry about it. Especially if you're actually losing the weight you want to lose..."
  • chattipatty2
    chattipatty2 Posts: 376 Member
    Set your protein for 1 gm per lb of body weight. You should also not be trying to go under your calories. You're already set for a deficit. Your goal is that...a goal. Hit it everyday and eat your exercise calories.
    I pay no attention to how high i go over my protein. I watch my cals, careful with my sugars and everything seems to be fine. Need the protein, and will even eat a low sugar protein bar after a hard work out. EAT the PROTEIN.