Seem to be ...... Always hungry!!

Options
Hey Pals!!!
Ive started today (Well, actuly did try on my own last week) but every since, Im always Hungry!!!!!! I choose Healthy food, but to keep it under 1200 calories, it hads up very fast!
PS: Its important to know, that so far, Ive havent workout so far... Im not sure yet where to start and what I love...

Any ideas, sugestions etc to help me feel full longer???
Thanks alot :)

Replies

• shanahtehya
    shanahtehya Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    hard to say without seeing you diary.... but I would say eat more protein. You may need to increase your calories.
  • azaborow1
    azaborow1 Posts: 20
    Options
    First let me say I LOVE food, and I thought there was no way I could do 1200 calories and now (with exercise, which actually gives you MORE calories you can use) I have a hard time eating enough - and everything I have eaten is already in the database, so its that easy.

Example, for today, I had Chobani Greek yogurt in am, half of a muscle milk bar (great for protein which I need) after a workout, lunch was a meatloaf lean cuisine, snack was 2 cups strawberries, then dinner was a portion of eggplant parm (yes, real eggplant parm), and a sandwich with 5 slices turkey on a Natures Own sandwich round (no mayo or anyting. I pretty much force myself to eat every few hours and it makes all the difference...my body is extremely sensitive to when I am not feedingit right, and all the fad diets have left me feeling terrible.

Another hint - sugar free jello as a snack, and jello mouse temptations if you crave chocolate.

Also, EXERCISE! Just start off slow (nike fit has a couch to 5K training prgram) and when you are exercising you will WANT to treat your body better. I neer thought I could look at cake or peanut butter cups and be fine with it...
    Hope this helps!!!!!
  • dreamchaser12
    dreamchaser12 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Not sure what your settings are but when I started I had my settings at 2lb a week and I was given 1,200 calories as well. I found myself hungry that whole first week! So at a friends suggestion I changed my settings to 1lb a week loss and was given 1,420 calories. Helped alot! Also, if you exercise you get those calories back and I usually eat about half of my exercise calories adding to my 1,420. Hope this helps.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Try eating more. The goal should be healthy fat loss and fitness. Not starvation.
  • gapm
    gapm Posts: 48
    Options
    I was always hungry until I changed I increased both the fat and protein that I eat, and I reduced the carbs (especially white sugar, corn syrup and white flour) to keep my calories at the MFP recommendations.
  • carolyns19
    Options
    You should make sure you're drinking tons of water! I have a 32 oz Camelback that I try to drink 3x a day (morning, afternoon, and night). I do not have a calorie intake that low, but when I was trying to stay around 1500 while doing a bootcamp class, I felt famished every day. I would try to give yourself a cheat meal once a week so you don't feel like you never get to eat.

Also, try eating whole pieces of fruit-- a whole banana, orange, apple, etc is the size of what your stomach should be! Though its not full of protein, there is a ton of water and "fibrous content" to keep you full for only about 60-120 cals.

Low-cal pita and hummus does wonders as well. I'm pretty much addicted to Flatout flat breads (100 cals for a serving) and hummus (about 50 cals max for a serving). That with some mixed fruit can be one of my "small" meals (I try to eat 5-6x a day).

Good luck! Don't be afraid to work yourself down to 1200 cals from say 1400 so that your body doesn't feel as shocked. Once you introduce exercise try to eat a protein-rich snack with lots of natural sugar. Personally, I drink a glass of 60 cal Almond Milk and think its a great post-workout snack/drink!
  • Hollybot
    Hollybot Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I had a lot of trouble until about the third week, and now 1200 cals fills me up, if i exercise i do get more hungry, so I eat some of my cals back. My diary is open, I will add you as a friend, hope I can help!
  • ChristineS_51
    ChristineS_51 Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    Could also be becaue you ae focused on "losing weight" that you immediately want food :laugh: open your diary if you want feedback.

Drink lots of water! I find sometimes I feel so full and I don't think I could consume another calorie, and usually at or under 1200. My diary is open if you want to look - not perfect by any means, but I am learning :-)

Give yourelf time, and if you are hungry, eat something, choose well.
  • VonTeese
    VonTeese Posts: 11
    Options
    Thanks Pals!!
    So I did (to make it easier for you to judge) open my diary!!!
    Its my first day, but as per Breakfast, I eat the same very often.

Hope it will help u girls to judge why Im so hungry!!! LOllll
    Thanks again :)
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,131 Member
    Options
    I don't know what you have set as goals, but if you don't have a lot of weight to lose, you may want to change it.

If you have 75+ lbs to lose 2 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 40-75 lbs to lose 1.5 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 25-40 lbs to lose 1 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 15 -25 lbs to lose 0.5 to 1.0 lbs/week is ideal, and
    If you have less than 15 lbs to lose 0.5 lbs/week is ideal.
  • embracechange
    Options
    Eat a very low carb diet for 3 days. You will go into ketosis, pee a lot, lose several lbs but it's mostly water. You will then be free of the blood sugar roller coaster and you can relax a bit. Then switch to a low GI diet.
  • yesthistime
    yesthistime Posts: 2,051 Member
    Options
    I don't know what you have set as goals, but if you don't have a lot of weight to lose, you may want to change it.

If you have 75+ lbs to lose 2 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 40-75 lbs to lose 1.5 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 25-40 lbs to lose 1 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 15 -25 lbs to lose 0.5 to 1.0 lbs/week is ideal, and
    If you have less than 15 lbs to lose 0.5 lbs/week is ideal.

This. Change your settings and bump your cals up to be successful and satisfied long term.
  • NateDad
    NateDad Posts: 55
    Options
    1 pound a week is maintainable in the long run for people with a moderate amount to lose. If you have 50+ to lose, 2 pounds might be doable for the first few months, but I'd rather see you shoot for one pound's worth of calories make the rest up with exercise. 1200 sounds like you're not that overweight and are just trying to lose it too fast. You diary looks pretty good, but 1200 just isn't very many calories. Don't sabotage yourself.... you don't have to starve to diet. Losing a pound a week, you can be full every day and even have a low cal dessert, if you eat well. Protein is your friend, it keeps you fuller longer. 4 ounces of delimeat is a ton of food for lunch and is often only 120-160 calories. Greek yogurt really sticks with you, is sweet, and is only ~140 calories.

Slow and steady wins the race. Seriously.
  • mamadrums
    mamadrums Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hi Iambeliever! I agree that you should up your calories a bit.

A few ideas to help keep you feeling full (I took a look at your diary). Switch your toast to a light bread - e.g. Sara Lee makes a light bread at 45 cals/slice - and have two slices with a bit of peanut butter. More fiber & protein and less sugar will help you feel full longer. Switch to light string cheese at lunch - no sugar, more protein, same calories. Afternoon snack, deli meat (as NateDad suggested) and a piece of fruit. I like 100 calorie bags of popcorn also. Hope that helps!
  • lewandt
    lewandt Posts: 566
    Options
    The secret really is exercise. Even a walk can give you 150 - 200 calories (or more) to add to what you are eating now. Start with something like that then add to it. Find something you enjoy doing and it won't feel like a chore.
  • carolyns19
    Options
    Hey Iambeliever!

I looked over your diary and I have a few notes:

You need a protein-rich breakfast. Swap out toast for a scrambled eggs mixed with low-fat cheese and spinach on a wrap/pita.

You need to be eating more veggies and fruits, I didn't see any for yesterday's! They are fiber and water-rich. Have baby carrots, cherry tomatoes, peppers, etc with dip (I mix 0% Chobani Greek Yogurt with ranch seasoning for a tasty veggie dip, that is protein-rich and only about 45 cals per serving).

I think others mentioned this, but back off the processed carbs. Oatmeal is less processed, and will make you feel better. Sugary bread will make you feel full for an hour or so and then make you crash.

Nuts and yogurt are your best "feel full" friends. I rec almonds (I buy mine dusted in dark cacao from Emerald's brand) and greek yogurt (I eat Fage 0% with strawberry).

Good luck!!