Crossfit

Options
Tell me all about it. I've been working out for about 6 weeks now, but I'm not at all in shape yet. I'm scared to try crossfit. I imagine walking into a gym filled with hard bodies and difficult equipment.

Talk me into it. Or not.

Replies

• revadiana
    revadiana Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I'm a crossfitter. Believe me it was scary going in. And yes, when I walked in, the class was full of hard bodies, and mine was definitely in no way a hard body! LOL.

The exercises can all be modified to suit your fitness level. I still can't do some of the exercises unmodified. But my goal is to be able to one day. In fact, I'm less concerned about weight now, and more into working to be able to the WODs (work out of the day)

It still get nervous before each class, but each time I go, and survive it. It feels... amazing. I did something that scared me and conquered it. Plus everyone is so supportive.

It is key that you listen to your body and listen to your trainer/instructor. It can be very easy to injure yourself because you are pushing yourself to limits you didn't know you could go before. I get impatient and want to do what everyone else is doing, but that's just a recipe for disaster.

It's not for everyone. But you won't know if you don't try. I'm glad I did.
  • thefuzz1290
    thefuzz1290 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    I'm not a fan, for many reasons, but here is a link to the fairest article about Crossfit I've come across:

http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance_investigative/the_truth_about_crossfit

Also, here's a pretty fair article in regards to what it takes to become "certified" to teach Crossfit:

http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance_investigative/crossed_up_by_crossfit

All in all, Crossfit-like workouts incorporated into a traditional workout is a nice change, however, going to a Crossfit gym itself is quite risky. Since all that is required to receive a certification is $1,000 and a weekend seminar (with no pass/fail test), you honestly don't know who's teaching you. Crossfitters are quick to tell you that none of their gyms are created equally, which is not a good thing for brand recongnition.

If you read the 2nd article, they teach their trainers on proper form, yet tell them that they should not use proper form. In fact, proper form is actually discouraged because if you do an exercise with proper form, you're doing the exercise too slow. Improper form is in fact celebrated by many on top of the Crossfit World, with multiple youtube videos showing cheering trainers and other Crossfitters. This is one reason many who began the company; which is what it is, not a training philosophy, left to form their own gyms. Fortunately, Mark Rippetoe, author of Starting Strength, is now associated with Crossfit. Now I'm not familiar if he just got the Crossfit brand to enhance his gym (and income), but at least he's on youtube advocating and teaching proper form.

There are a lot of Crossfit haters on this board (I'm more on the dislike side), who hate without reasons. Please do your research prior to joining a gym that'll set you back over $100 a month.
  • charcharbec
    charcharbec Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    I am a Crossfitter. I started last July... I LOVE it. I was SOOOO out of shape and terrified. But I am doing awesome now. Finally doing pull ups without help, and have dropped 65 lbs. Best bet? Go and try it out at your local gym. They prob have a free intro class. If you like it... try it for three months. Guarantee you will be hooked then.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    In my mind, if you have only been working out for 6 weeks and "are not in good shape yet", crossfit is not the best choice. I'm sure any decent place would welcome you as a beginner, and I am also sure that you could probably find some modified way to do the exercises. But that's not really what you need right now.

I am a big proponent of building a base and learning technique before you move to something like crossfit. There is nothing unique about crossfit and nothing that special about it that would justify pushing yourself to do it.
  • XFitMojoMom
    XFitMojoMom Posts: 3,255 Member
    Options
    Crossfit, despite the negative propaganda, is for all levels as it's scalable to your ability level. When I started two years ago, I weighed over 200 lbs (I had been working with a personal trainer for about 18 months beforehand without any success). I'm over 30lbs lighter now, can run a 5K in 28 minutes, deadlift 245lbs, climb halfway up a rope, and still working on my first pull up.

What is important when you find a crossfit box, you make sure that they have a solid on-ramp program. I heard some have only 3 days...steer clear if that's the case. 3 days is nowhere near long enough to learn the basics of lifting. My box offered a month long on-ramp and it was essential to make it to 3 classes a week.

It is expensive, I pay 160$/mth, but the attention I get is like having a personal trainer 5-6 days a week. Classes are small at my box - max 10-11, so you should look for something similar if you want to get best value for your money.

We have a little "community" here - if you want to check us out visit http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/116-crossfit-love

Hope to see you around!
  • mideon_696
    mideon_696 Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    Can't do a pull up after all this time??
    Prime example of the state of The personal training industry right there...!!!!
    Probably a great thing you got away from them!
  • marieautumn
    marieautumn Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    crossfit is AWESOME!! try it...you will LOVE it. i have been doing it for 8 months and still get sore every work out. i can never go back to the normal gym. our motto is "your work out is our warm up"
  • marieautumn
    Options
    In my mind, if you have only been working out for 6 weeks and "are not in good shape yet", crossfit is not the best choice. I'm sure any decent place would welcome you as a beginner, and I am also sure that you could probably find some modified way to do the exercises. But that's not really what you need right now.

I am a big proponent of building a base and learning technique before you move to something like crossfit. There is nothing unique about crossfit and nothing that special about it that would justify pushing yourself to do it.

actually crossfit requires you to take "elements" for 6 classes before moving into the actual class. once you are in the actual class they put everyone on levels and modify the work out as such. crossfit is actually very unique compared to the standard gym experience and why wouldnt you push yourself to do something outside of your box?
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    I don't think it's an intelligent way to approach strength training.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,701 Member
    Options
    Like any other philosophy on fitness, it will have it's proponents and detractors. Only way to find out if it's for you is to try it. If it's not, there should a cancellation period or at least a trial period to have assessed that.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,239 Member
    Options

No comment to the OP, but frankly unless you know a lot more about the person posting about now being able to do pull-ups unassisted and the attendant circumstances this comment about it taking too long is simply arrogant.
  • marieautumn
    Options

i cant do a straight pull up either, only jumping pull ups or toes to bar due to incision scars that make it very uncomfortable. its not always do to a persons training methods or strength.
  • lind3400
    lind3400 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    I am far from "fit" but I did a crossfit course and loved it I learned to work out "outside" my comfort zone...I didnt continue becasue fo the expense , but I lost 30lbs in 2 months....

oh I can't do a pull up either but neither can my sister and she's in training for a cop
    Don't be afraid feel excited for the challenge you get from it!

Oh and those "hard bodies" are actually really supportive and dont jsdge you based on ur fitness :smile:
  • blakeman187
    Options
    Been doing it for quite a while, I love it.
    But it does depend on the gym. The quality of the coaching varies on all sides of the spectrum.
    My gym is really hardcore on form and safety, but I know of other gyms which are very relaxed on what proper form is, and disregard safety almost, if not entirely.
    Give it a try if you want. There is no one right way to workout.
  • XFitMojoMom
    XFitMojoMom Posts: 3,255 Member
    Options

Shoulder/rotator cuff issues (and my box doesn't allow bands).
  • alorick
    alorick Posts: 194
    Options
    Thanks for the responses. I think with any type of fitness program, there's always a love/hate argument. Of course, I'd ask questions, get references, and be safe while doing it. :)