Runnin Hydration Help

Options
angel79202
angel79202 Posts: 1,012 Member
Oops title should be Running...not Runnin..I apologize!

Question to all of you fabulous runners out there..I am training for my 5k that is in less than a month now..since the weather has been nicer, I have been running outside ..but when running outside..how do u stay hydrated? I am running a 4 mile trail, and can't seem to do it w/o water..any suggestions? holding a water bottle while u run? i get so thirsty.. I do drink through out the day..I have tried drinking a lot before I run but then I need to pee...and when running on a trail not an option for a girl :)
any help would be greatly appreciated!

Replies

• LoveLiveLift
    LoveLiveLift Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    I carry a 20 oz water bottle that has a hand strap. Mine is Nathan brand, but I'm sure there are others. I also like that it has a small pocket for a key, etc.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,081 Member
    Options
    You should be able to run a 5K without carrying a water bottle.

Drink a pint or so before, and after. It's not that long of a run. They'll have a water station at the end.
  • PBmaria
    PBmaria Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Camelbacks! Totally worth it :D
  • nwoww
    nwoww Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I use a Fuel Belt. It holds little mini bottles of water...the downside, it can be a bit heavy, but it has been absolutely essential in half-marathons so I don't have to break my stride at water stops.
  • angel79202
    Options

Drink a pint or so before, and after. It's not that long of a run. They'll have a water station at the end.

for the actual race day yes..but the training..no..I am running 3.8 on this trail and I can't w/o water..I did try..
  • angel79202
    Options
    Camelbacks! Totally worth it :D

what are they?
  • carajo
    carajo Posts: 532 Member
    Options
    I dont drink when running...mix aminos in your water before the race, and hydrate after, you should be good to go!! Good Luck!!!
  • angel79202
    Options
    I carry a 20 oz water bottle that has a hand strap. Mine is Nathan brand, but I'm sure there are others. I also like that it has a small pocket for a key, etc.

thanks i will look that up!
  • shyamsasidharan
    shyamsasidharan Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Something like this should help.. - http://www.amazon.com/Nathan-10-Ounce-Nutrition-Flasks-Medium/dp/B000KBD9QQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1332208844&sr=8-1

BTW, once you are comfortable with the 5K (About 3 months of training) you would not need water during a 5K unless you running in extremely hot climate. So start reducing water intake as you progress with your training. You could replenish once you finish your run
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    I have a Nathan belt with a single 600ml water bottle that I use for long runs and it works pretty well.
    I don't take anything for runs under an hour, just make sure I drink before and after.
  • soon2bhotmom
    soon2bhotmom Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I always chew gum when I run, keeps my mouth from drying out. Recently started carrying water for longer runs (Nathan, that other poster talked about) its a pain but sure nice when youre hot.
  • aTROOPSTER
    Options
    For your training runs, you should be able to do it without a fuel belt - IMO, fuel belts can be clunky and you shouldn't use them if the distance is short (under 5 miles, in your case).

There are lots of options for a handheld water bottle. They slip onto your hand so it's not getting in your way. Mine has a pocket to hold keys and cash, if I need it. It's important to stay hydrated, even on your training runs. The general rule of thumb I use is to make sure you're drinking every 15 minutes, more so if you need to. Hope this helps.
  • SERinDC
    SERinDC Posts: 93 Member
    Options

I have essentially the same thing but Amphipod is the brand. I carried my water bottle every step of the way on my half marathon this past weekend. Everyone's different, and I'm like you and NEED my water on my runs. Just about every run.
  • LoveLiveLift
    LoveLiveLift Posts: 459 Member
    Options

You're welcome. I used to carry water for 5k distances, but now I can just chew gum and I'm fine. However, now that the weather is warming up I may go back to carrying water.

Do what works best for YOU!
  • angel79202
    Options

I have essentially the same thing but Amphipod is the brand. I carried my water bottle every step of the way on my half marathon this past weekend. Everyone's different, and I'm like you and NEED my water on my runs. Just about every run.

Thanks, I will look at that one too! I have a couple medical things that probably require the water..such as my ability to pass out :) kind of scary being on a trail and feeling like ur gonna go down, water has really helped me!
  • kathiehughes
    kathiehughes Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I chew a pc. of extra sugarfree dessert gum while running, it helps to keep my mouth from becoming over dry so just hydrate before hand then chew a pc and hydrate at end. I has helped me.
  • ilike2run
    ilike2run Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I agree, you should be able to do it without water. Maybe you've just sort of psyched yourself into thinking you can't?? If you absolutely can not do it, then stash a water bottle somewhere along your route prior or run by a fast food joint or gas station where you can run in and get a quick drink. I have run several marathons and used Hardee's on a regular basis as my water station!! Good luck...don't overthink it, you'll do GREAT!!!:wink:
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options

for the actual race day yes..but the training..no..I am running 3.8 on this trail and I can't w/o water..I did try..

How much you drink the day before factors into your hydration levels too. A lot of the reading I've been doing on preparing for long runs say to almost double your normal water intake the day before. Obviously, you don't need that much for under four miles, but it's something to keep in mind.

For me, I try to drink 3-6 cups of water before a run, stopping three main consumption about two hours prior, so any bathroom breaks should be able to be had before the run. Then have 6-8oz of water about a half an hour before the actual run. And make sure to use the restroom before starting the run.

5-Ks won't have water stations on them, at least none that I've done/seen did. I didn't get a race with a water station until my 10-K. Unless its super hot, you should be able to go for awhile without needing water if you're properly hydrated. I started taking water out with my after I got above six miles out and about. Even now, I don't drink a ton while on the run. I have a Nathan belt that holds two 10oz bottles and I typically drink about half of that amount on the run. Then I drink the other half when I finish. Yesterday I wasn't quite as hydrated as normal when I left because I slept in, so I went through about 12-14oz or so through 12.5miles. And most of that was after the Shot Bloks.

So I'd say work on getting yourself hydrated before starting so you don't have to be concerned with carrying a bottle. Being able to keep your hands loose and relaxed while running is much nicer than having to hold onto something. :)
  • angel79202
    Options
    I agree, you should be able to do it without water. Maybe you've just sort of psyched yourself into thinking you can't?? If you absolutely can not do it, then stash a water bottle somewhere along your route prior or run by a fast food joint or gas station where you can run in and get a quick drink. I have run several marathons and used Hardee's on a regular basis as my water station!! Good luck...don't overthink it, you'll do GREAT!!!:wink:

great idea, but my practice runs are on a trail at a park...the 5k isn't near any food places..but when i do race for the cure, that would work!
  • angel79202
    Options
    I think I'm going to order one of those bottles with the straps, thank u so much!!
    I'm in pretty good shape, I work out 6 days a week including boot camp, zumba, cardio circuit and strength training..the running is harder for me :)