Need breakfast ideas

Options
I am out of ideas for breakfast. I have sufficient time and skill to cook something just lacking the inspiration.
My requirements: I'm diabetic so nothing super carby, no dairy, no nuts. All suggestions will be appreciated.

TIA.

Replies

• Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Egg "Muffins":

Materials:
    - Eggs or egg beaters (I used beaters for even more simplicity)
    - Muffin/cupcake pan
    - Veggies/mix-ins of your choice

Instructions:
    - Pour egg beaters (or beaten eggs) into greased muffin pan - fill 1/2 way
    - Add toppings directly into eggs
    - Bake for 375-degrees for 30 minutes

Once cooled, I just popped them into plastic bags so that I can grab them easily in the morning. Or, if you want them warmed up, just pop one or two in the microwave for 30-45 seconds. (Surprisingly, I didn’t mind them cold vs. warm.)

http://brit.fhoke.com/food/behold-the-magic-of-egg-muffins/

I made mine w/SW Egg Beaters, mushrooms, onions, red pepper, shredded cheese and threw in some spices (garlic powder/chili powder) - they were SUPER YUM!!
  • Lotstoluv263
    Options
    My go to breakfast is 2 hardboiled eggs (I only eat 1 yolk) and three strips of turkey bacon (microwave 45 seconds), only 162 Calories. I am diabetic too, keeps my blood sugar in check!!
  • frugalmomsrock
    frugalmomsrock Posts: 1,123
    Options
    I like refrigerator oats:
    1/4 c. steel cut oats or 1/2 c. rolled oats
    1/2-1 c. frozen blueberries (or whatever kind of berries you like)
    dash cinnamon
    3/4 c. milk, unsweetened almond milk, or greek yogurt (plain).

Mix and refrigerate overnight. In the morning, you can eat cold or you can put in microwave just long enough to take off the chill. I also add a scoop of vanilla protein powder in the morning. It's soooooooo good.

You can make a breakfast custard:

1/2 c. pumpkin
    1 egg (or two egg whites)
    2 TBSP half and half
    1 tsp sugar replacer granular
    spices to taste: pumpkin pie spice, cinnamon, nutmeg

Beat egg very well, add remaining ingredients and beat (I like to use my bullet-easy). Put into microwave safe dish and microwave for 3-4 minutes on 50% power. It will pull from sides when done. You can eat hot, let cool, or refrigerate overnight (for a pumpkin pie feel).

This is another microwave fix:

any combination of eggs (whole, whites, or mixed)
    1/2 c. chopped broccoli
    1/4 c. diced red peppers
    1 c. chopped raw spinach
    chili powder
    garlic powder
    cumin powder
    pepper

I mix the eggs and spices. Put the veggies in a microwavable bowl sprayed with a touch of cooking spray. Microwave 30 seconds. Pour eggs overtop and microwave until cooked through (the times vary. Sometimes it takes 3 minutes, sometimes longer, and it's taken only 2 1/2 before--play with it). You can then top with a little fat free cheese and fold it over (like an omelet), or just eat as is. I also have mixed in a chopped up piece of turkey sausage at the time I put the eggs in. You could also add mushrooms, onions, or whatever you like.
  • jstein_77
    jstein_77 Posts: 13
    Options
    A boiled egg and a piece of turkey sausage.

or

A bowl of oatmeal sweetened with a little splenda

or

scrambled eggs and peppers in a low carb wrap
  • mom2mozart
    mom2mozart Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Gimme Lean Veggie Sausage is good (taste is good - texture is a little soft)
    Grilled asparagus
    Grilled tomatoes
    Grilled peppers
    40 calorie per slice Nature's own wheat bread - toasted w/margarine or hummus

I make grilled veggie sandwiches, or wraps, or pitas. I like non-traditional
    foods for breakfast. Eat leftover's from last night's dinner.

Most of my breakfast's contain dairy and carbs - I love bananas, cereal and
    100 calorie english muffins.
  • digitalsteel
    digitalsteel Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    Scotch Eggs from http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-scotch-eggs/#axzz1pd4IRh00

◾4 eggs
    ◾3/4 pound sausage meat
    ◾Oil for frying

Instructions:

hard boil the eggs, then transfer the eggs to a bowl of ice water to stop the cooking. When cooled, peel the eggs.

Divide the sausage meat into 4 equal portions.

Use your hands to form each portion of meat into a flat pancake a few inches wide. Wrap the meat around an egg, gently shaping it so there are no cracks and the egg is completely hidden.

For pan-frying, preheat the oven to 375. Then, pour just enough oil/fat into a deep pan to coat the bottom of the pan. Heat for 2-3 minutes over high heat on the stove until the oil is shimmering.

Cook two eggs at time. Roll the eggs around every few minutes in the oil so all sides of the meat become nicely browned. Cook each egg for about 8 minutes total.

Transfer to the oven and cook for 6-8 minutes more until the sausage is cooked through.

Eat the eggs warm or cold. Serve alone or with pickles, mayonnaise or hot sauce.
  • kleighsamboer
    Options
    I love 2 pieces of Ezekiel bread, 1/2 avocado with a few slices of tomato sprinkled with a little salt and pepper. I also love plain goat's milk yogurt with a tblspn. of agave and some dried fruit. I am a diabetic as well and these serve me well and keep me full. Not to mention how quick they are.