Girls weekend in Chicago - 1.5 days what should we do?

Options
liog
liog Posts: 347 Member
There will be 12 of us getting together in Chicago in June. Most of us will arrive on Friday afternoon and leave early afternoon on Sunday. We are staying in the Loop area. Does anyone have any suggestions on restaurants and not to miss attractions for a short stay?

Replies

• LexieSweetheart
    LexieSweetheart Posts: 793 Member
    Options
    defiantly go to Navy pier and Millennium park. For restaurants pizza of course and Ed Debevics is a pretty fun place. everyone plays a character and they sing/dance on the tables
  • GabeRami
    GabeRami Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    The Shedd Aquarium is awesome, so is the Art Museum. If you can catch the Blue Man Group, they put on a great show. Navy Pier is always fun too. If you like Mexican Food, one of my favorite places there is Azteca de Oro Mexican Grill, if I remember correctly, it's on Clark, near Wrigley Field. Hope you have a great time, I love that city!
  • christina_theresa
    christina_theresa Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    I did a race at Navy Pier and I loved it down there! What's nice about staying around the magnificent mile is there are a ton of delicious places to eat at! Have a great trip!!
  • Saffyra
    Saffyra Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    Shedd Aquarium!
  • Moyzilla
    Moyzilla Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Can't beat the Art Institute or Wrigley Field if you're a baseball fan. It's always fun to sit in the bleachers! For food there's so much good stuff here from the causal to upscale. If you do drinks, go to the 95th in the Hancock tower at night, best views in town! Piece Pizza (not Chicago style stuff), Hot Doug's (gourmet sausage's/hot dogs), The Publican, Avec (small plates), Chicago Pizza and Oven Grinder (again, not Chicago style pizza - they do these really good pizza pot pie things with a flat bread that is to die for)

In my opinion, Chicago style pizza is way overrated, I'd go with a Chicago style hot dog with all the fixings over the pizza any day.
  • AmerTunsi
    AmerTunsi Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    Navy Pier for sure!
    Shed Aquarium is also beautiful.
    Hanncock tower.( at night is great)
    I took an architectural tour and it was well worth it. I looked at the city and understood it so much more.
    I also enjoyed going to see the Blue Man Group there.
    Chicago has good food all over. But healthy is a tricky one.
    I went to an Moroccan restaurant called Andalous that was good and authentic.
    Giordan's Pizza is a winner. There is another one that is really popular all over, I forget the name. But I see lines outside during the lunch hour from locals. Ask anyone there and they will tell you these two places.
  • anejo8
    anejo8 Posts: 2
    Options
    Go to the Signature Lounge at the top of the Hancock and enjoy some martinis before the rest of your festivities commence! The view won't disappoint!

http://www.signatureroom.com/Signature-Lounge/

Also, don't miss out on Chicago style pizza from Lou Malnati's!!!
  • LexieSweetheart
    LexieSweetheart Posts: 793 Member
    Options
    I suggest getting a city-pass It includes tickets too . The aquarium, The field museum,the skydeck and Hancock.

Also in the summer many popular locations have free days. You should check if they match with your travel dates
  • liog
    Options
    Thank you all!
  • deadstarsunburn
    deadstarsunburn Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    defiantly go to Navy pier and Millennium park. For restaurants pizza of course and Ed Debevics is a pretty fun place. everyone plays a character and they sing/dance on the tables

I second this. I live really close to Chicago so I go often Navy Pier and Millennium park are ALWAYS on the list. They are not very close to each other though. Grant Park has festivals every now and then there too. Than there is a seven story mall, water tower place.
    Argos tea is the best place for yummy tea drinks all have calories listed at the shop lol
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    Second City Comedy! They are awesome!

Also, then you can head over to Rush Street. Years ago, the best club was Mother's. Not sure now, but you're sure to find something you'll enjoy there.
  • baycat107
    baycat107 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    The Bean in Millennium Park. Pretty cool...I think it's really supposed to be cloud.
  • 19kat55
    19kat55 Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    My favorite city!! Of course that might have something to do with siblings that live there. But there is so much to do in Chicago. The Botanical Garden is fantastic. Of course Millenium Park is a must as is Navy Pier. Of course Shedd like others have said. There are also several good zoos and conservatories. It just depends on what you like to do.
  • lkm111
    lkm111 Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    I second Hot Doug's! Put your toes in Lake Michigan, too, since it's June. Have fun!
  • ginsinnot
    ginsinnot Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    If you enjoy Mexican and love a fab margarita, you have to go to Topolobampo. Amazing, best margarita I've ever had:)
  • red1123
    red1123 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I live in Chicago and I'm never sure why people recommend Navy Pier. It's pretty much a strip mall/tourist trap. I will say the giant Ferris Wheel is really fun and gives you a great view of the city. Millennium Park is gorgeous and there are often free concerts there during the summer. It's right across the street from the Art Institute, so if you're into that you can visit there too.

Touristy things I've done that I've enjoyed even as a "native" are the architecture cruises on the river and food tours (where you can sample our hot dogs and pizza and go to the Billy Goat tavern all in one go). If you're into theater we have a fantastic theater scene, and Second City may be really fun for your group.

Our public transit system is pretty great, so you'll have no problem getting around the city - don't be afraid to wander out of the Loop! Have fun!
  • liog
    Options
    Thank you all for the great ideas!
  • NNAhuja
    NNAhuja Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    There will be 12 of us getting together in Chicago in June. Most of us will arrive on Friday afternoon and leave early afternoon on Sunday. We are staying in the Loop area. Does anyone have any suggestions on restaurants and not to miss attractions for a short stay?

Restaurants?
    -Lou Malnatis
    -Ed Debevics
    -Girodanos (deep dish pizza)

Attractions
    We have PLENTY of summer festivals going on. Check out the city's website to see what's going on when you are here.
    Navy Pier (typical tourist trap) and Cloud Gate aka the Bean.
    If you want to get off the beaten path, I'd say hit up Water Tower Place (big mall). They have coupons for those who use foursquare and are from out of town. Going on a neighborhood bike tour. There's also tours of "haunted" places in the city. Shedd Aquarium and the Museum of Science and Industry are pretty cool museums. So is the Art museum (if you go there get your pic with the broze lions at their west doors). Margaritas? I'd say hit up a Lalo's or Pancho Pistolas on the city's south side (Bridgeport).
  • ComicBookGeekGirl
    Options
    Hit up the Hancock Tower for drinks on friday or Saturday night!! They have an AMAZING view of the city at night and the chocolate martini is the best I've ever tasted!! The Navy Pier is great too!