To work out or not to work out

Options
First of all I am on a night shift and really want to talk to people. However I have serious question and was unsure where I should post it.. Curious of what others thought. So my daily allowance is 1560 and I have been great at logging...lost 5 pounds in my first week! Its all water weight. When I work nights I generally only eat two actual meals a day and a few snacks...most days I stay under, generally on my first dasy in and last day out I go back to a normal sleep schedule and stay up sometimes for 24 hours.

So my question is, more in particular for tonight. I forgot my lunch and only have my veggies to snack on for another 6 hours. Haven't really eaten a real meal since dinner when I woke up. I have an abundance of calories left over...700. knowing I am not going to eat anymore tonight, do I go work out and burn more calories, and be way under? Should I start brining more food to work. I have been trying to limit myself on what I bring to work because then I don't tend to over eat. I feel like I am never going to be able to take advantage of the free gym and the hour break at work...Any advice

Replies

• katem78
    katem78 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    well i don't think that eating so little will help you.. if you workout, which is good, then you will starve! your body will ask for food and that maybe be worse than you thought!
    you should take your food with you no matter what time you go to work. you will adjust your meals according to your working hours!
    whatever is more easy for you to carry with you, whatever you enjoy more. just don't let your body go into starvation mode.
    Good luck!!
  • MountainMia
    MountainMia Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Listen to your body. It doesn't always know what time it is and the calories don't care if it's 12am or 4pm the next day. If you are hungry, eat. Working out is always a good choice, but you gotta make sure you fuel properly to make it worth the effort. I swear, I've had workouts in the past that would be better spent fixing a snack and woofing it down while standing over the sink. I suggest getting some great protein shakes and bars on hand for emergency fuel. They are a good balanced meal or snack and offer enough umph to hit the weights or light cardio vs intense cardio. Do what you think is best for your body today and plan better tomorrow.
    I always like to encourage people to eat less and move more, but sometimes a break is in order vs jumping in too extremely and getting burnt out before you start. Moderation my friend. It will make your efforts more enjoyable and more lasting.
  • lisa28115
    lisa28115 Posts: 17,271 Member
    Options
    i work nights and i pack a lunch just as if i were on day shift
    i keep protein shakes and yogurt in the frig here
    tonight i have had cottage cheese, almonds and fruit
  • jrhodges20
    jrhodges20 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I generally do too. For some reason on graves I only seem to eat twice, when I wake up, and then towards the middle/end of my shift, and an occasional snack here and there. I don't know what the difference is, maybe because I go home and go straight to bed, where is when I am on day shift I come home dink around a little bit, cook dinner and then sit down for a movie...
  • jrhodges20
    Options
    Thank you all. I have decided that working out tonight will not be in my best interest, as I don't want to starve myself. I will get some protien shakes and make sure I bring them with me, I am sure that will help
  • ajt917
    ajt917 Posts: 54
    Options
    I have the same problem! Like tonight I just got done eating a little bit ago. I work out when i get off work, then i will have a good snack after my workout. Then I sleep most of the day and have dinner when I wake up. I just try to eat foods that are higher in calories. I think I need to start brining a snack to work, but I'm a nurse and some nights are crazy and I dont have time to snack! except tonight ;)
  • jrhodges20
    Options
    I told myself this afternoon when I got up that I should do a quick work out, but told myself no, I had all intentions of using the gym tonight, that was until, I forgot my lunch and have a snall salad to get me throught the night.....I don't think I have even come close to 1200.