Can't take compliments about weight?

Options
If I was more confident I'd be posting this as an NSV in Success. A couple of people now have said that I look like I've lost a bit of weight which is lovely but I don't know how to take it. I get very embaressed and tongue tied and I find myself wondering what they'd hope to gain by flattery like that! Ridiculous I know.

Does anyone else find that they just can't really believe they are making progress? Or doesn't know what to say to kind people who notice?

Replies

• rachcamp88
    rachcamp88 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I feel the exact same! If anyone mentions it I can't help wrapping my arms over my waist to hide myself. I am grateful for their comments but hearing people talk about my size (even saying I nice/smaller/better etc) makes me feel so self conscious. I still feel the same,my stomach is still horrible and I don't think I look different so its hard hearing people say nice things.
  • harebearva
    harebearva Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    It's tough. I was a big guy most of my adult life and being thin was totally foreign. In the beginning everyone knew I was trying to lose weight but I wasn't sure if the compliments were genuine. I am also not one for adulation so when people would comment on my weight loss, instead of sheepishly thanking them, I'd simply say " I'm sure trying" or " It's been a long road, but I'll get there". I promise though, if you keep at it, the weight will come off and you will notice that talking to others is easier. It will come a time when they will be commenting on your weight loss not so much because they are impressed as they wan't to know how you did it. They will be seeking advice on how to get into shape. I went from being the fattest guy in the office to being the most fit inside of a year. It was total culture shock, kinda like moving to another country. But as I said, as the weight comes off, you will find yourself warming up to the idea of being the center of attention. My one regret is that it's turned me into somewhat of a narcicist, LOL I can't stop talking about fitness.

It's all about time though. I try not too look into the future, it's like the perfect apple thats high up in the tree. It's what you want but seems out of reach. Just think about tomorrow and keep it simple. Eat your food, do your workouts, and before you know it, it'a been six months and you've whittled away 30% of your weight loss goal. That simple.
  • Tari_D
    Tari_D Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Thank you Rachcamp88 and Harebearva. It is good to know that at least it isn't just me and it's great to hear about the future when you reached your goal harebearva ( your before and after pictures are amazing by the way!).

I have to admit I can't imagine being thin at the moment, I never have been, and I don't really feel any thinner now even if I have lost pounds. The advice about just taking it a day at a time is great idea, I can't really picture my over all goal but I can cope with staying under my calories and excercising each day. Thank you :smile:
  • harebearva
    harebearva Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    for me, weight loss was like a funnel full of water. At first, I could barely see a change, but the further along you go the more noticeable the changes are, There will be plateaus along the way, just don't get discouraged. keep your head in the game.