Runners- need encouragement

Options
I have been running for about 6 months, and the past month I've been seriously focused in my runs. I have a 15k in September, and I'm starting out by doing a training program for a 10k first, and work my way up since I have a bit of time. Well, life has happened and I haven't been able to keep my schedule since last Wednesday for several reasons, mostly family related. I just feel like it's unacceptable to have skipped my workouts, and I should have found a way to squeeze it in even though there really wasn't unless I wanted to skip on sleep. I'm kind of beating myself up over this.

I guess I'm looking for encouragement, and maybe someone out there telling me that it happens to everyone, including the very serious runners...and of course, actually meaning it not just telling me to pacify me. Things have calmed down in my life, and I'll be moving forward with my workouts and runs tomorrow. It was only 5 days, but it feels like I've failed at being a runner. (sigh)

Replies

• thefuzz1290
    thefuzz1290 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    Sometimes life gets in the way. The hardest thing to do is get back on the wagon if you missed a workout, but just keep at it!
  • Lauraph
    Lauraph Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    After running a couple of years now I have learned to not get too stressed about these things! Running should be something that I look forward to doing... not another stressor. I stick to my training plan as much as possible, but if I miss a day I get back on track as soon as I can. Don't try to make up for lost workouts - you will just get hurt. Just make sure the workouts you do get in are 100% quality workouts.

I have been in the same position as you for the last few weeks. Work obligations then a bout of bronchitis left me missing two long runs and I have a half marathon this Sunday. At the beginning of the year my goal was to PR this race. I may or may not... but instead of getting worked up about it (which I briefly started to do!) I am just going to do my best the rest of this week and go out Sunday and have fun.

You will be fine!
  • madmickie
    madmickie Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    What level are you running at presently?
  • livingonpurpose77
    livingonpurpose77 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    currently I'm doing Hal Higdon's novice 10k program. I'm at the end of it actually. Next I'll be doing his 15K novice program. I've done a few 5k's before, but wanted to train for more LDR's. I'd like to eventually do the Chi-town marathon, but that's definitely not this year, lol.
  • cushygal
    cushygal Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    I posted this in another topic: But let me elaborate on it a little.

I had started my training for the half 18 weeks before its actually due, but due to a flu, injured dog, needy husband the training consisted off running 3 times in 5 weeks - so know I am down to only having 11 weeks to train and the below shows what you can do even when your training has lapsed. You can do it too!!!!!

I am training for my very first half marathon this May, prior to training for this I have only ever run three 5ks. My longest run ever has been 5 miles and this was last summer.

So Saturday was a beautiful day here so I put on my running shoes and told my husband that I was going for a run, and I only planned to run 4 miles - well 4 miles came and went, then 5 miles came and went, then 6 miles - so I am like lets go - I ran 7 miles in 1:22 and felt like I could have went maybe another mile but I was already home and didn't feel like circling back out.

I felt so good and I am NOW confident that I can run the 13.1 miles in under 3 hours NO PROBLEM!!!!!!!!

So flippin excited
  • scott091501
    scott091501 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    It happens and can be a plus in the long run if you let it. Everyone needs an off week here or there to let their body, let line their mind, recover from the constant grind. I can be very refreshing. In the long run you probably gained more in recovery than you lost in fitness.
  • jlewis2896
    jlewis2896 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    ;) I think people that love running, for the most part, love schedules. But schedules are more of a guideline to me.

You have given yourself enough time to train. I promise you. No, I pinky-promise you, that these 5 days will not be detrimental to your training overall. In fact, sometimes I think a few extra days of rest can be great motivation for you to give it 100% when you do get back out there.

I used to be a schedule-slave, until I realized it was becoming a source of anxiety for me. And I am a person who runs with a goal of stress-reduction. So I took a few weeks of training for my first full marathon and just did whatever I wanted. No watch, no HRM, no plan, just ran to run. Since then I have become a little more relaxed about the schedules!!

You will be fine. I promise.

Now get out there and kill your next run. :)
  • SassyCalyGirl
    SassyCalyGirl Posts: 1,932 Member
    Options
    I am also training for a half marathon in June. The weather has been so nice here so I just started running outside and injured myself somehow. I was running down a very steep hill when I felt a pain in my lower leg-just below the calf and above the ankle. It is sore and swollen-so no running foe me until that heals. I looked online and its possible it is the Soleus but I am not sure-anyone else experience this? If it doesn't heal in a few days-to the doctor I will go. Just completely sucks not to be able to run. I run 6.2 miles 5 days a week (when not injured).
  • gkielwei
    gkielwei Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    No need to worry, but I know how you feel. It becomes an addiction and you think "oh my gosh, I've just lost all of my training that I've worked so hard for". Well that's not true. I've run numerous half and full marathons, and there have always been some weeks when I didn't get my planed routines in; and I've missed a week of training probably for each race. A week's rest can actually do you good - both mentally and physically. I've relaxed so much over the years and actually took a couple years off from doing long distance running and then on a whim decided to enter the NYC Marathon lottery and got it. I survived that marathon with very minimal training - averaging 2 runs a week. It's mind over matter. "If you can believe it, you can achieve it." - of course with reasonable training of course. Granted, my time wasn't the best - but I ran the entire 26.2. Again - no worries about missing a week.