working through muscle soreness

Options
do you work through it or rest it off? i think if i rest its just going to start hurting again when i begin? but at the same time i don't believe i am able to put my all into it being so sore?! what do u do?

Replies

• akiramezu
    akiramezu Posts: 278
    Options
    I suck it up and just train. No matter how much it hurts, soreness is soreness, pain is pain. Unless im seriously injured i.e broken bones or things of that nature, then there's no excuse. EVER. period
  • Chairless
    Chairless Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    Is this general recovery soreness or injury soreness?

I will tend to wait until i can feel no more recovery soreness in my muscles that i intend to work before going at it again.

But thats just me.
  • StartingAnewDay
    StartingAnewDay Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Funny, I just woke up with this on my mind this morning. In the past I was guilty of overtraining and forcing myself through things.

I assess how the REST of me feels. Do I feel a little sore but fatigued and lethargic. like I can't give my all to a workout and just will pushing through? Then no workout, or i wait until a later time, time a walk or do some easy cardio like walking.

Do i feel full of energy but achy? (not pain) Do I have full range of motion without wincing to much? Then I have a really good pre workout stretch and go for it!
  • dieseljay74
    dieseljay74 Posts: 376
    Options
    I do split routines so even though i train the same muscle group twice in the same week, by default I have a built in rest of about 2 to 3 days.
    the biggest issue people run into is over training. that happens from working a muscle too often, poor diet or inadequate sleep.
    Usually, if a muscle is sore, it's likely still inflammed from the previous trauma of the workout and probably not a good idea to work it yet.
    You always want a healed state before breaking it down again or it will become overtrained and some literature says even atrophy.
  • autumnk921
    autumnk921 Posts: 1,376 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Flixie00
    Flixie00 Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    I try to work through the doms doing cardio, and I find that about 15 mins in the muscle warm up and I feel better.
  • Reinventing_Me
    Reinventing_Me Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options
    Walking through it usually helps me. I may have to adjust my speed if it's really bad, but most times, my achy legs feel much better after I move them. If it's anything other than muscle soreness, I rest it. Working through actual pain can make it worse.
  • Rozlynmac
    Rozlynmac Posts: 71
    Options
    If you've hurt yourself - pulled a muscle etc. Stop. Rest it. But if you're talking post workout soreness, then I'd say a combination of resting a bit, but still working out - I find after Boxercise I ache the next day, but swimming loosens everything off again. Runners who've done a race are advised to have a slow gentle recovery run the next day to help each their muscles (and that definitely works). But no major workout day after day, 'cos then you're never giving your body a chance to recover properly and repair/strengthen so at some stage you're likely to do yourself an actually injury.

If you want to train and are achey as Losing4Life69 says, then take it slow to start with and build up as the muscles ease. And try n' make sure what you're doing is different to what you did the day before. Alternating keeps you going, but doesn't over stress the muscles 'cos you're working different ones.

Just my opinion though :D
  • billgiersberg
    Options
    Muscle soreness brought on by a workout may be a product of lactic acid buildup. I have read that working out through the soreness brings blood into the muscles and helps reduce the lactic acid. Of course, working out also builds up more lactic acid as well but I workout through the soreness myself. However, if the soreness is caused by muscle injury, then continued workouts without allowing the injury to repair could cause the injury to get worse. This website might help you better understand muscle soreness. http://www.medicinenet.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=78966
  • slay0r
    slay0r Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    My legs feel extremely sore most mornings I get on my bike, within about 2/3 miles of torture they loosen up and it's fine. Why do the first 2/3 miles have to be hills?!? It's more that I leather it and feel it really bad, hit some traffic lights giving them a 60 second cooldown as a result and then they feel great. If it's continuous from the beginning though it slows me down for a while lol.

As for in the gym I go back when I'm still slightly sore but not when I'm struggling to lift like a bottle of water without being in pain lol.
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    Take some motrin and ice it.
  • leogirl724
    Options
    Every week to two weeks I add a challenge to my workout...a few extra minutes or some sprints...
    and I feel it..
    If I don't work out the very next day...I get tight....then sluggish...I've got to keep moving so I can Keep Moving =)

I do focus on Hydration and Nutrition as much as possbile....food for fuel and all that...

Bon Chance!
    {Good Luck!}
  • graysmom2005
    graysmom2005 Posts: 1,882 Member
    Options
    Best way to feel better? Exercise. People would say this too me and I'd scoff...but it's true. I'd feel so much better 5 minutes into a workout!
  • salxtai
    salxtai Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    Definitely work through it.

If I can feel it starting to become some serious DOMS, which happens mostly have training only, then I'll wear my 2xu compression tights.

I've found they lessen the sensation, although don't shorten recovery.
  • Airbear3
    Airbear3 Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    thanks everyone! no injury just really started to workout my abs......they hurt! was afraid to rest in fear i would never get used to it, but also i worried i wouldn't(couldn't give my all! guess i'll be workin them out today.......thanks again:0)
  • monopolygirl
    Options
    I just started walking last week and have been at it for exactly 1 week today at about 5 miles a day and the first few days I thought my legs were going to fall off! But I pushed through and each day is getting better! You know your body and I dont, but i know for me if i rest my muscles stiffen up and then it hurts 10x worse