Is corn bad?

I know corn isn't considered one of the most nutritious veggies, but should it be avoided? I love corn and tonight was the first time in a long time that I have eaten it because for some reason I have it pounded in my head that I shouldn't. What are your thoughts?

Replies

• jcummings69
    jcummings69 Posts: 183
    I know corn isn't considered one of the most nutritious veggies, but should it be avoided? I love corn and tonight was the first time in a long time that I have eaten it because for some reason I have it pounded in my head that I shouldn't. What are your thoughts?
  • may_marie
    may_marie Posts: 667 Member
    i dont think veggie, fruit and anything should be avoided, they all have they re different way of being good for you . variety is key i think ...
  • banks1850
    banks1850 Posts: 3,475 Member
    nah, corn isn't bad. Has lots of potassium in it.
    It has a medium amount of carbs in it, and some sugar. But It also has fiber,
    overall it's not the BEST veggie out there, but no where near the worst food
    you could have. Now, if you slather it in butter and salt...well.
  • icandoit
    icandoit Posts: 4,163 Member
    Corn is not the best but it is not the worst. It is higher is sugar, We use ears or frozen. When I use corn (frozen) I usually add it to the chili or the taco meat that I make. I also use it in a black bean salad. It is a great source of fiber. Ears on the BBQ in the summer. MMMMMM I still think greens is the best way to go.

Corn
    Serving Size 1 Medium ear (90g/3.2oz)
    Amount Per Serving % Daily Value

Calories 130
    Calories from Fat 15g
    Total Fat 2g 3%
    Saturated Fat 0g 0%
    Cholesterol 0mg 0%
    Sodium 25mg 1%
    Total Carbohydrate 29g 10%
    Dietary Fiber 4g 16%
    Sugars 9g
    Protein 5g
    Vitamin A 8%
    Vitamin C 15%
    Calcium 0%
    Iron 4%
  • FatDancer
    FatDancer Posts: 812 Member
    Hey Pals...corn is not a vegetable, it is a grain...
  • leblancb
    leblancb Posts: 47
    I include corn with my "eating right" but I treat it as a Carb, like potatoe. If I have corn with my meal, Include another veggie like broccoli.
  • banks1850
    banks1850 Posts: 3,475 Member
    Hey Pals...corn is not a vegetable, it is a grain...

baahh, 6 o 1
  • icandoit
    icandoit Posts: 4,163 Member
    my dad always called it the poor mans veg
  • rowlandk
    rowlandk Posts: 146 Member
    Here in Iowa, we love the corn :)
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    corn has 15g of fat in it? How's that?
  • ColtsFan1912
    ColtsFan1912 Posts: 146 Member
    yeah us indianians love it too. :D
  • REB89
    REB89 Posts: 493 Member
    corn has 15g of fat in it? How's that?

No!!! It only has 2g fat, the 15 is calories from fat :smile:
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member

Wait a minute, wait a minute. . .you can eat corn without butter and salt?:noway:

Just kidding. Yep, I agree to treat it like a grain, not a veg. I can't have wheat, so I love the corn. And the cornbread. mmmmm.....cornbread.

:flowerforyou:
  • REB89

Wait a minute, wait a minute. . .you can eat corn without butter and salt?:noway:

Just kidding. Yep, I agree to treat it like a grain, not a veg. I can't have wheat, so I love the corn. And the cornbread. mmmmm.....cornbread.

I can't have wheat either. Could you give me a recipe for cornbread, I'd love to try it cause I crave bread all the time but I can't have it! :grumble:
  • rowlandk
    rowlandk Posts: 146 Member
    Corn bread is soooo high in calories!
  • jcummings69
    jcummings69 Posts: 183

I can't have wheat either. Could you give me a recipe for cornbread, I'd love to try it cause I crave bread all the time but I can't have it! :grumble:

Why can't you have wheat???
  • REB89

Why can't you have wheat???

I have a mild wheat intolerance so i can have it but it gives me stomach cramps, bloating and for the lack of a better word, wind! :blushing: So i try to limit myself to only have it as a treat. I can get around the pasta problem fine because you can buy wheat free pasta that doesn't taste too bad, but i really miss my bread!!
  • abbychelle07
    abbychelle07 Posts: 656 Member
    Actually, I read somewhere that raw corn should be thought of as a vegetable, but cooked corn is digested more like a starch. Either way, its not really something to avoid.

I'm weird, but I like uncooked corn on the cob.

Just something I read!