One side of my body seems more dominant. Just me?

Options
BIGJIMMYU
BIGJIMMYU Posts: 1,221 Member
When working out, especially when heavy lifting, my left shoulder and arm seem stronger, musclier (if that's even a word), and bigger than my right side. I ensure my form stays perfect while lifting. Even at rest the left side seems a bit bigger. Anyone else experience this?

Replies

• criscricket
    Options
    Yes, my right side has always been stronger, more dominant, my whole life.
  • BlondeToast
    Options
    I find that with my right side (probably because I'm right handed), and to top it off when looking at myself in the mirror when lifting weights I can see that one of arms is a bit longer than the other and the bar is wonkey!
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    everyone has at least a little of this, some not enough to tell, others may have a big difference. This is mostly genetics, but you can compensate by working the weaker, smaller side harder.
  • emmiexjay
    emmiexjay Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    yup i'm left handed but when it comes to cutting, pouring drinks i use my right
  • Lyric82
    Lyric82 Posts: 119
    Options
    OK I was noticing this too just this morning! My legs..one of my legs is much more toned then the other! I do the same workouts with both legs (obviously!!) Is there any way to combat that? I mean, it's really noticeable...
  • techmom29
    techmom29 Posts: 103
    Options
    Just yesterday I was taking measurements and found my left thigh was 1" larger than my right. :/
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,669 Member
    Options
    Everyone will have a dominant side. It's rare to have someone be exactly equal on both sides of their anatomy.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • TopazCarey
    TopazCarey Posts: 263
    Options
    I thought I was the only one. My left side feels stronger too, like it works harder. Ever since I've noticed that I've always been afraid that my left arm would get like huge and ripped and my right one would still be all lanky.

Don't wanna look like this lol.
    tumblr_ly6gjntgmb1qlz3uro1_500.png
  • peachNpunkin
    peachNpunkin Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    No one human being is symmetrical. One side is actually different from the other. So, you are not weird, or abnormal. Perhaps work the non dominant side a bit harder that the dominant side. See if that helps.
  • akiramezu
    akiramezu Posts: 278
    Options
    It will eventually balance it self out as you continue to work out with weights, but normally, obviously your dominant hand side would be stronger
  • mamabear272
    mamabear272 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    I never really thought about it but I always did have this a bit when I'd do machines at the gym. There wasn't a big difference though. I'm right handed so my right arm would be strong from that but I waitressed for many years and always carried my trays with my left so that might be why there wasn't much of a difference.
  • LovesGG
    LovesGG Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I noticed my left leg shakes considerably more than my right leg. I thought it was because I lack coordination on that leg since I only use my right leg for driving. I hope they become more balanced
  • amymt10
    amymt10 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I'm right handed... my right side seems stronger and I can see definition more in my right arm. I carry my kids on my right hip too, always have. I need to try and switch sides carrying them!! lol.
  • mstaser
    mstaser Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    I am right handed and my left arm has always been bigger but my right is stronger.
  • BIGJIMMYU
    BIGJIMMYU Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    Glad it isn't just me! This makes sense! I will try to stay in form and work the other side a bit.
  • anarod0513
    anarod0513 Posts: 119
    Options
    my sister noticed that the right side of my torso is more toned than the left, any exercises that I might be able to do to train only the left side?