more protien needed, less carbs/sugars!

Options
I need to find ways to get more protein in and less carbs (especially sugars!). I am on a very limited food budget AND am also trying to feed 2 kids. Any suggestions would be awesome! But do need budget friendly also ... Thanks all!!

Replies

• Mjanegranger
    Mjanegranger Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Eggs are cost efficient and have protein. Scramble and add vegs and other protein. Will fill your kids up.
  • superdrood
    superdrood Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Dry beans and lentils. Super cheap, protein packed, and versatile.

Examples of what I make:

2 bean turkey chili (I cheat here and used canned)
    Dal tadka
    Split pea soup
    Black bean soup
    Crockpot chicken lentil stew
  • Vegetablearian
    Vegetablearian Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Eat less refined carbohydrates like white bread, white pasta and white rice foods and dont eat anything with added sugar.

Vegetables especially frozen ones can be cheap , and making cauliflower rice or cauliflower pizza bases will cut your carbs hugely. Eaing lentils and beans are lower in carbs too.

Reducing fruit (and all other really sugary items) consumption and replacing with veg will lower carbs again.

Protein shakes are a great way of getting lots of protein easily, as is lean meat, meat substitute, eggs and nuts.

Complex carbs are not your enemy they are a great source of energy in moderation but refined carbohydrates and sugars are the devil!
  • seekingstrengthX2
    Options
    Switch to 100% whole wheat bread products for starters.

Eggs.

Yogurt (Chobani makes a special "kids" greek yogurt that has 11g sugar... much less than normal).

Quinoa, Couscous, beans, any and all vegetables, salmon, tuna.
  • SilentRenegade
    SilentRenegade Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I buy bags of spinach and sautee it in coconut oil. Eggs are also a great way to get protein without carbs. I also have bacon a lot because it's delicious (problem is that it's very salty).

Cauliflower can be used in place of potatoes to make mashed potatoes and can even be used as a substitute for rice.

Do you have a wholesale membership through BJs, Costco, or Sam's Club? Buy chicken breasts in bulk and freeze some of them. You can do all kinds of fun stuff with chicken.

Food.com also has a really great section for recipes that are easy to make and you can search for low-carb options.

Also, a protein shake is good too for breakfast on the run or as a snack. I make my protein shakes with EAS Whey Protein Vanilla, Blue Diamond Almond and Coconut milk (unsweetened) and Walden Farms 0 calorie, 0 carb chocolate syrup to curb my sweet cravings.

Cheese is delicious.

Snack on carrots, bake some green beans or brussel sprouts to replace french fries.

Beans are higher in carbs, but very high in fiber, so this is a nice thing to implement into your diet. I like to make black beans and chicken or soups with the beans.
  • BarryB1984
    Options
    Chicken (especially the Breast) all Fish (canned Tuna you can find well priced and is very high protein), and Cottage Cheese are all very good. Stuff like Dairy, Pork and Beef is all high protein but depending on how you eat it can have alot of Fat in it so be carful, I.E. Bacon and Eggs would be a high protein / low carb meal but of course would put your Fat count right up.
  • DoodleDaft
    Options
    Protein shakes are cheap and easy? I used to laugh at my husband for drinking them but now I'm consuming more than he does. Greek Yoghurt, eggs, cheaper cuts of meat slow cooked, quinona (my kids love quinona), lentils and other pulses.
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    Chicken and Tuna, meats that are on sale, tilapia fillets.

All relatively cheap.
  • rchambers2072
    rchambers2072 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Eat less refined carbohydrates like white bread, white pasta and white rice foods and dont eat anything with added sugar.

Vegetables especially frozen ones can be cheap , and making cauliflower rice or cauliflower pizza bases will cut your carbs hugely. Eaing lentils and beans are lower in carbs too.

Reducing fruit (and all other really sugary items) consumption and replacing with veg will lower carbs again.

Protein shakes are a great way of getting lots of protein easily, as is lean meat, meat substitute, eggs and nuts.

Complex carbs are not your enemy they are a great source of energy in moderation but refined carbohydrates and sugars are the devil!

I already don't eat white bread, rice, or pasta. And my fiber is almost always over the recommended amount. I need to eat more eggs I guess (really hate the smell, have since my first pregnancy!) Is protein powder expensive? I am thinking about trying that, and quinoa too if it is cheap enough...
  • akiramezu
    akiramezu Posts: 278
    Options
    I wish i was in the states, food there is so cheap compared to here in Australia lols ):

Anyway, I've watched a lot of videos from body builders that are from the states, and they usually
    have videos called 'body building on a budget' and from what I've been able to gather is.

Eggs (Pretty sure in the states, eggs by the dozen is dead cheap =P)
    Lean mince beef (80/20 split, 80% beef and 20% fat) is relatively cheap
    Cottage cheese (the fat free stuff, it's high in protein, low in calories)
    Chicken breast (I'm sure a bag of chicken breasts is like 10 dollars?)
    Chicken thighs (higher in fat compared to chicken breast but cheaper)

Hope this helps
  • mikanjuliansmommy
    Options
    BUMP!!!

Need these ideas for food shopping.
  • gehlerc
    gehlerc Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    I had a similar problem recently--needed to get more protein in my diet.

I second the suggestion of eggs.

Also, try adding low- or non-fat cottage cheese to your diet. The drawback with that is sodium, in case you're watching that.

A third suggestion is to add TVP to some of your dishes. In case you're not familiar with it:
    http://www.bobsredmill.com/tvp-textured-veg._protein.html
    We use it regularly at our house (even though we're not vegetarians). I picked up a bag just yesterday at a local store; a 10-oz bag contains 11 servings, 12 g of protein each, $3.49 for the bag.

Finally, and I don't know if your budget allows for this, but I started using a protein powder (Aria Women's Protein Powder) to supplement my protein intake on some days.

Good luck.
  • TamaraGraceS
    TamaraGraceS Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    Protein shakes...BUT mix with water because milk has lots of sugars.
    Protein shakes are cheap and easy? I used to laugh at my husband for drinking them but now I'm consuming more than he does. Greek Yoghurt, eggs, cheaper cuts of meat slow cooked, quinona (my kids love quinona), lentils and other pulses.
  • miniberger
    miniberger Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    If your eggs have an odor, they are probably not fresh. If you're in a rural area, try to find someone who raises chickens. This time of year, they will have more than they know what to do with... and you might be able to find a way to barter for eggs. :)

Quinoa is great- try to find it in bulk bins though. You pay extra for packaging.
  • SilentRenegade
    SilentRenegade Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I already don't eat white bread, rice, or pasta. And my fiber is almost always over the recommended amount. I need to eat more eggs I guess (really hate the smell, have since my first pregnancy!) Is protein powder expensive? I am thinking about trying that, and quinoa too if it is cheap enough...

You can buy a 2lb container of protein powder at Wal-Mart (Body Fortress) for around $22. If you're the only one drinking it, it should last you a good amount of time. Also take a look on Amazon.com, they have a ton of protein powders from the low priced to the super expensive.
  • invisibubble
    invisibubble Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    Protein powder. I was trying the natural way and it just cost way too much. Protein powder is far cheaper, and I just put a scoop in my oatmeal in the mornings. Sometimes I'll make a shake up with milk or water later in the day if I find I need more. Works out much cheaper for me.
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    Protein powder. I was trying the natural way and it just cost way too much. Protein powder is far cheaper, and I just put a scoop in my oatmeal in the mornings. Sometimes I'll make a shake up with milk or water later in the day if I find I need more. Works out much cheaper for me.

Protein powder is great if you're trying to supplement to reach your target points (I certainly do), but I'd suggest being very careful if you find that's where most of your macro is coming from. Nothing beats whole foods.
  • thechubner
    thechubner Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Chicken (especially the Breast) all Fish (canned Tuna you can find well priced and is very high protein), and Cottage Cheese are all very good. Stuff like Dairy, Pork and Beef is all high protein but depending on how you eat it can have alot of Fat in it so be carful, I.E. Bacon and Eggs would be a high protein / low carb meal but of course would put your Fat count right up.

^ this would be my advice. I will also add that I buy whole turkeys when they are on sale. You can get them for like 70 cents a pound many times (even througout the year). The frozen turkey will keep good in the freezer for about a year. I roast the turkey at the begining of the week to make healthy dinners. I slice the breasts for sandwiches (which saves money on lunch meat that's crammed with too much sodium and fat anyway) - I use the bones to boil to make soup - and the shredded turkey meat can be used in any recipe you would use shredded chicken or ground beef. We love turkey tacos in my family. My family of 3 can eat off of one turkey for days. It's a real budget saver.

*edited to add* The biggie for saving yourself hidden calories and money in your budget is to avoid too many processed foods.
  • chergarr73
    chergarr73 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Cauliflower pizza base??? Do tell!!! I'm intrigued!!
  • thechubner
    thechubner Posts: 94 Member
    Options

I buy the protien powder from walmart. It's cheap ($15 for a 2lb tub) and has 26 grams of protien per scoop. I mix it with frozen bananas and frozen berries for an added tasty treat. Bananas might have more sugar than you're looking for, but berries are reletivly low in sugar. (and the addition of frozen fruit makes a really nice smoothie)