I havent had one day of success!

Options
I have been logging my foods for about 3 weeks now and there has not been one day that I have been able to stay within the recommended amounts of calories, fat, etc... I have not been able to get myself to be motivated and get self-control! I give in way too easily to foods, and make excuses alot! I know what my problem is, but I have no idea how to fix it! If you have any tips on things you might do to keep your mind off of food, or other tips for weight loss, I would appreciate them so much! I just really need some help controlling my urges to eat! I think most of the time I eat because I am bored, but once I get the idea in my head that Im hungry, i cant make it go away!

Replies

• acrylicrocks
    Options
    Well, for portion control I tend to use measuring cups and eat directly out of them that way I can see just how much I am consuming. I am having trouble staying within the allotments as well.
  • ziggystar82
    Options
    i know what you mean. today was my first day logging my calories. And i went over by like 108. And i am starving right now!!!!
  • alereyes228
    Options
    i have that problem so i know what you're going through, there's some things i do that help me stay within my calories...

-water fills you up, so if you're going to eat because you're bored have a glass of water before
    -also, if it's just cravings then wait for 5-10 minutes, it usually goes away.
    -eat healthy meals full of good calories and that way you wont burn them so fast and get hungry so soon
    -and, last, i do something that i don't think is really good but i do it anyways:ohwell: ...i log my guilty snack (chocolate, frappuccinos, whatever) before i log anything else and work my way around it.

i hope this helps!!
  • Hermit4Hire
    Hermit4Hire Posts: 197
    Options
    Personally, I've found the answer for me -- you have to want to do it. Once you really want it, the cravings go away. All the exercise begins to matter and that junk you crave isn't worth the time you put in.

(tough love time, sorry) -- Until you want to do it, it will never happen.
  • SusieSonshine
    SusieSonshine Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    I have been logging my foods for about 3 weeks now and there has not been one day that I have been able to stay within the recommended amounts of calories, fat, etc... I have not been able to get myself to be motivated and get self-control! I give in way too easily to foods, and make excuses alot! I know what my problem is, but I have no idea how to fix it! If you have any tips on things you might do to keep your mind off of food, or other tips for weight loss, I would appreciate them so much! I just really need some help controlling my urges to eat! I think most of the time I eat because I am bored, but once I get the idea in my head that Im hungry, i cant make it go away!

Eating more fruits and veggies and making sure you eat snacks will help your blood sugar to remain on an even keel and then you won't get as hungry. Check out http://www.zonediet.com for more info. The key is the glycemic index.

Here is one of my most fave salads, that makes me feel sooooo satisfied for hours! Try it!

"My Fave Salad"

Romaine lettuce (as much as you want)
    Chopped scallion

Mix together:
    Half tbsp of Flax Oil
    Juice of half lemon
    Garlic Powder to taste
    Dash Cayenne Pepper
    Pinch of salt

Half of baked/broiled/bbq'd boneless/skinless chicken breast, chopped

Toss altogether

Tbsp Flax Seed Meal and/or Almond Meal sprinkled over the top

(195 calories)

I can't adequately describe how satisfying this salad is to me!! Yum!!!!
  • futuremrsjonstafford
    futuremrsjonstafford Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    thanks for the yummy recipe, i will have to try it!
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    You have to make sure the calories you are consuming are both filling and nutritious, that way you'll be less likely to be starving and overeat. Eat every few hours. Don't have foods you can't resist in the house.

I'm OCD when it comes to food, and once I get that idea in my head to eat something, it will drive me insane if I don't, but I'm learning to deal with that feeling. It doesn't go away, I just choose not to give into it all the time and deal with the stress. We all slip though. :smile:

Once you start having some good days, they'll come a little easier...you won't want to waste all of your progress. It all comes down to being strong and getting stronger- there are no easy fixes. I wish.
  • SusieSonshine
    Options
    thanks for the yummy recipe, i will have to try it!

<smile!> You're most welcome!!! :flowerforyou:
  • astridfeline
    astridfeline Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    some people might disagree, but you might want to concentrate only on calories for the beginning, and not all the other nutrients. Once you get a better handle on staying w/in your cals, then focus on getting the right balance of carb/fat/protein. I only kept track of calories & fiber at first and am now starting to make sure carb/fat/protein are balanced.

Also, check your settings and make sure you are not eating below your BMR--read the settings pinned to the top of this forum.

good luck :flowerforyou:
  • FireMonkey
    FireMonkey Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    Make sure though you get enough proteins - they are more filling and keep your blood sugar levels on a more even keel. When I eat a piece of cheese or Tbsp of peanut butter with an apple it keeps me from feeling hungry for much longer than only an apple.

Another option is exercising to earn extra calories to eat :happy:
  • mskellyw
    mskellyw Posts: 111
    Options
    Be sure you're eating enough protein!

For years and years and could never lose weight because I felt like I was always hungry. Once I started to eat protein at every single meal (and snack!) my hunger totally went away! Now, even if I go one day without eating enough protein it's hard for me to get back in control of my eating. I still only average about 60g per day, but eating some at every meal seems to do the trick. For example, if you feel like you have to snack, eat some plain, low-fat greek yogurt with fruit, low-fat string cheese, nuts, etc. The protein keeps you full longer, and for me it totally eliminates my carb cravings.

(Also, just so you don't think I'm some newbie who has no idea what she's talking about--I've lost over 50 lbs, not just the 7 shown on my tracker. That's just since I started MFP.)
  • CK07
    CK07 Posts: 10
    Options
    Try planning the day ahead of time - either the day before or in the morning. Put the foods you think you'll eat or the lunch/dinner you have planned to eat.
    Sometimes once you see how over you would be, you are more motivated to cut (or suddenly a certain food item doesn't look so tasty) and plan a healthier item in replacement.

When I'm going out for dinner, I eat light but filling foods in the morning instead, and log what I will order ahead of time so I'm not over much.
  • CasperO
    CasperO Posts: 2,913 Member
    Options
    I like Brenda's advice - "Don't have the junk in the house",,,

That's the biggest thing I did. Just quit buying it. I have tons of Cherries (love my fresh cherries) and grapes and lettuce and tomato and apples and cabbage and rice cakes and stuff. When I feel the need to gnosh I grab (and log) some of that stuff and I'm good.

When there's Twinkies in the cabinet you're gonna want one,,, just knowing it's there creates the desire. So don't have 'em in the house. Don't buy 'em. I'm really lucky in the regard. My wife is a member here too and we're working on this together. No crap in the house at all. That makes it so much easier.

You're new - this is a big adjustment. You'll get it. :smile:
  • AlyssasMommy
    AlyssasMommy Posts: 191
    Options
    Today was my first time ever to stay under my calorie limit. My friend wrote something on Myspace that i kept repeating to myself " no food tastes as good as skinny feels" sounds silly but it gave me strength. I also drank enough water to stay full.:smile:
  • SusieSonshine
    Options
    Today was my first time ever to stay under my calorie limit. My friend wrote something on Myspace that i kept repeating to myself " no food tastes as good as skinny feels" sounds silly but it gave me strength. I also drank enough water to stay full.:smile:

I'd change that to "no food tastes as good as fit feels!"

<smile!>
  • CasperO
    CasperO Posts: 2,913 Member
    Options
    Nothing tastes as good as skinny feels,,,

That's old, and it's true. There's lots of them.

A moment on the lips, a lifetime on the hips.
    I love me more than I love ?????.
  • meanness67
    meanness67 Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I drink a lot of water and chew gum. Chewing gum gives you something to chew without adding a bunch of calories and seems to satisfy the hunger craving. Also, on days I want to eat more....I exercise more. You should be eating your exercise cals so go for a brisk walk, do an exercise dvd, ride a bike, whatever works for you...then eat those calories! Voila! More food without going over! And, if you eat after you work out you get the added advantage of the 'after burn' by burning those cals you just ate while your body is still in burning mode.
  • AlyssasMommy
    AlyssasMommy Posts: 191
    Options
    You're so right. Guess I should change my mantra. Thanks for the reminder!
  • ssvoboda2
    ssvoboda2 Posts: 14
    Options
    I try and snack all day.....but on "good" foods. I find that if I get hungry I overeat, so if I try and stay somewhat full, on watermelon, plums, grapes and carrots I do better. I was never raised eating healthy so I feel like I have been detoxing from carbs, but it is worth it in the way my clothes are fitting:)
    I also "overchew" my food, to enjoy it more if I do "cheat" and have something as a treat. Instead of eating in 10 min like I used to I am trying to eat over 30 min, not always possible, but it is helping me.
    Good luck!
  • SusieSonshine
    Options
    You're so right. Guess I should change my mantra. Thanks for the reminder!

And thank YOU for sharing the quote!! I really like it (with "fit" instead of "skinny'!) and will add it to my repertoire!

:flowerforyou: