"Barefoot" running

Options
OK...any "barefoot" runners out there? I did a trial run in my Saucony Hattori's the other night and my calves are SORE! Any clue how long it will take for me to get used to them?

Replies

• GoldspursX3
    GoldspursX3 Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    I wear "Minimus" brand and it took me almost a month to get used to them.
  • okerachel
    okerachel Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I run barefoot. It really depends but it can take as long as six months to transition "safely." The method I used was increasing the amount of my run that was done in bare feet or minimal shoes but 10% every week. Kind of like when you are increasing mileage. I recommend www.reddit.com/barefootrunning. Its a forum with tons of helpful participants who love to answer questions about barefoot running.
  • Resalyn
    Resalyn Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    OK...any "barefoot" runners out there? I did a trial run in my Saucony Hattori's the other night and my calves are SORE! Any clue how long it will take for me to get used to them?

Hi there - I'm not a runner, but am transitioning to minimalist footwear - and I found the link below helpful.... You can google "transition to barefoot running" and find a ton of information - maybe too much info, LOL. I wear Vibram Fivefingers Bikila LS for my cardio and strength training....

http://barefootrunning.fas.harvard.edu/5BarefootRunning&TrainingTips.html

Best of luck to you!
  • I'm wearing Skechers GoRuns to help me shift to a mid-strike, until I can find a store with some Vibrams so I can get fitted. From everything I've read, you should gradually build up to barefoot to minimize the pain...it takes a while to awaken some of those foot muscles we never really use. That's what I've read anyway. I don't know if I'll ever make it to actual barefoot running, but I can tell a difference since I've started transitioning and I like it so far.

For a laugh, you should check these out: http://youtu.be/NPdb7ZDJKS4, http://youtu.be/erorsuyJKiQ

My favorite line is "Running shoes are designed to injure you, it's a conspiracy."
  • BobbyDaniel
    BobbyDaniel Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    Quick responses, thanks! I transitioned into my Kinvara's pretty quick, but after testing out the Hattori's 2 nights ago I'm walking like Fred Sanford today!
  • notdancinganymore
    notdancinganymore Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I run in Merels. Training for a marathon. But I injured myself a year ago transitioning to fast. Take your time and stretch those tendons!
  • shar140
    shar140 Posts: 1,158 Member
    Options
    I've got a pair of vibrams and merrell barefoot (don't remember the style, but it's last year's model. I got all black, without toes, so I can wear them casually when I'm out) - took me at least a month. I started out just walking in them, to get used to it. Yes, there was a lot of days I had sore calves, but I eventually strengthened my legs & feet (well, mostly - my left foot still isn't as strong). I had a couple friends who suggested just walking in them first, to get used to them & strengthen muscles I'm not accustomed to using, before trying to run in them. When I don't heel-strike, my plantar fasciitis isn't as bad, I've noticed.

Take it slow, and eventually you'll work up to it. And thanks for mentioning Saucony, I didn't know they had barefoot shoes now, too! :)
  • rebeccask
    rebeccask Posts: 170
    Options
    What's the benefit to running barefoot or with minimalist shoes? On a run last week, I saw a girl running barefoot on a paved path and thought it looked painful. I don't think I'll ever transition, but I'm curious to know what you think.
  • sunshineshica
    Options
    What's the benefit to running barefoot or with minimalist shoes? On a run last week, I saw a girl running barefoot on a paved path and thought it looked painful. I don't think I'll ever transition, but I'm curious to know what you think.

I'm also curious about this. Running outside on raggity cement and bumpy sidewalks with possible piss and dried up poop from people that walk their dogs on the sidewalks in your barefeet seems rough and not sanitary
  • shar140
    shar140 Posts: 1,158 Member
    Options

I'm also curious about this. Running outside on raggity cement and bumpy sidewalks with possible piss and dried up poop from people that walk their dogs on the sidewalks in your barefeet seems rough and not sanitary

That's why I opt for minimalist ("barefoot") shoes. For some people (like a good friend of mine), it allieves her knee pain she used to have running (and she's a former track/CC athlete). And, for me they're not just for running. I also like them for hiking, as I can maneuver/flex my foot different in difficult terrain, whereas with a rigid-soled shoe (as most hiking shoes are, exceptionally so, even) I wouldn't be able to do that. It's also strengthened my feet, ankles, calves, etc. I have better balance over wearing a regular shoe, and they double as my weightlifting shoes - squats and lunges are totally different in minimalist shoes than regular ones, as they allow me to hit muscles differently.

I'll admit it took a while for me to get used to walking on pavement with them, as it is a bit painful at first (after 30+ years of being used to increasingly cushioned shoes).

and totally OT, there's a banner ad above this with Snickers eggs. Seriously, MFP?!
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    Once your feet and legs adapt and get strong it is not uncomfortable at all running on pavement and only minimally uncomfortable running on gravel. You get the benefit of strong feet and legs and at least for me, no matter how far or how long I run, knee pain and shin splints are a thing of the past.
  • migoi357
    migoi357 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    There seem to be a ton of 'how to' books on barefoot running out there. There is also a book titled "Born to Run" about barefoot running, ultra distance running, and running ultra distances barefoot.

It's an interesting read even if you don't intend to ever go naked from the knee down when you run.
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    I run in vibram komodos and NEVER want to go back to regular shoes. I adore these things. They fixed my stride and my ACL pain. It takes several months to build up a decent run in them, but I set a PR in the first race I ran in them.
  • gemiwing
    gemiwing Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options

I'm 260 pounds and can run sans-injury when barefoot. Slap a pair of high cushion shoes on me and I get horrible knee/ankle pains and can't run longer than a minute or two tops. Barefoot or minimal footwear- I can run naturally and don't get tired as often.

I've also stopped my ankles from rotating outward and walking on the sides of my feet since going barefoot. I love it and cant' wait to lose more weight and do more barefoot walking/ running.
  • raevynn
    raevynn Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    It took a solid two months for me to be able to wear my Vibrams (normal daily wear, not running) all day without discomfort from muscles being tweaked.

This is going to depend on how un-naturally your feet & legs (and glutes) have developed over the years, and how elastic they still are - and how fast your natural adaptability is.

I use my Vibrams for daily walking, treadmill, and HIIT now, and they are the best. I also do the treadmill and HIIT completely barefoot at times.
  • BanjoKd
    BanjoKd Posts: 150
    Options
    I wear Merrell Pace Gloves. I have been wearing them for about 2 months for about 4-6 miles at a time at least once a week....no calf pain for me. I think i could wear them all the time now....but my Brooks are so comfy it's hard to make the switch.
  • enginerd81
    Options

I was in a biomechanics course last year and saw a research presentation on this subject.

The simplest reason I took away was that with shoes you will land harder on your heal because of the padding.

This sends alot of force up your leg and joints. By going barefoot/ less padding you change how your run to reduce painful heel strikes. And Therefore less overall forces which results in a healthier long term running strategy.
  • jellybeanhed313
    jellybeanhed313 Posts: 344 Member
    Options

and totally OT, there's a banner ad above this with Snickers eggs. Seriously, MFP?!

Usually those ad banners are related to websites you have recently visited or things you have googled. Last time I googled sports bras and I have been seeing all bra related ads since.
  • SamiRose
    SamiRose Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    There seem to be a ton of 'how to' books on barefoot running out there. There is also a book titled "Born to Run" about barefoot running, ultra distance running, and running ultra distances barefoot.

It's an interesting read even if you don't intend to ever go naked from the knee down when you run.

I don't run barefoot, but I have read bits and pieces from Born to Run... EXCELLENT, highly recommend! I'm acutally attending ACSM Northland Spring Conference in Minneapolis MN, next week. There entire conference is on the barefoot running debate. My boyfriend runs with Vibrums...loves them. I recommend buying them from RevelSports.com Great place, family owned out of Central Wisconsin and the people that own it are very knowledgeable and helpful. This family too are avid outdoor enthusiasts.

:)
  • MarineCodie
    MarineCodie Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    6 months for me to be completely pain free in my achilles. TAKE IT SLOW. I run in vibrams, NB minimus and Newtons.