Runners- do you monitor your heart rate while running?

Options
I recently started running consistently. I am running with a couple of friends. One of my friends had previously been working with a personal trainer and ran the Mini. Her trainer has her run until her heart rate reaches 200 and then wants her to walk to get it back down to 180. She has told me that for optimal weight loss, you should stay within your target rate, which for her is btwn 180-200. Once I get started running, I don't really like to stop and walk. Am I doing myself a diservice by just continuing to run and not monitoring my heart rate? My breathing stays very consistent when I run and I don't feel the need to stop. I actually feel worse when I stop and want to start running again. Right now, we are running 3 miles in about 40 mins.

Replies

• missprincessgina
    missprincessgina Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    I'm not an expert by any means whatsoever! But I've run and placed in numerous marathons, half marathons, 10Ks, etc. and I've never used a heart rate monitor while running. Once I stop to walk I have a hard time wanting to run again :)

I do however use a heart rate monitor during spinning class because my personal trainer makes me.

Just my 2 cents from another runner but not an expert.
  • gmpearson
    gmpearson Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I use a heart rate monitor that attaches to my Garmin Forerunner 210 watch while I run. I use it more when I am running intervals or doing speed training, but I use it on all runs (except an actual race).

The thing with HR is that it is pretty individual. If you look at charts and guidelines, remember that they are guidelines. I am a 42yo male, so my maximum heartrate according to most charts should be around 180. Because I have run consistently and do strength training and other cardio activities, my Max HR is probably a lot higher (I know that I have had it up above that level for sure). When I run, I often average 160, sometimes 165. When I sprint, I am 180-185. When I finish a run where I am training for negative splits, the last 1-2 miles are at 175+.

Another place that I use it is when I am doing strength and resistance training. I try to keep my HR above 130 by lifting, then moving to another station or doing burpees/cruches/push-ups etc. I treat my weight training like a circuit somewhat to keep the HR elevated.

Greg
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    I did when I first started running to get a feel for what my "zones" were... what I could maintain long term, what I could maintain short term, and what I could handle for a short burst.

I don't pay much attention anymore.
  • thepetiterunner
    thepetiterunner Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    I do wear my HRM (it connects with my Garmin Forerunner 110), but that's just more for my own curiosity. I like to see what I perceive as difficult and what my body perceives as difficult (how high my HR is). My average HR during weekly runs or even long runs is somewhere between 145-155, with higher effort runs averaging between the 155-170ish range. I capped out at a high of 190 or so.

During lifting I generally can get myself up to 150-160s doing some strenuous lifting and other than that, I try to keep it in the 130s. Again, this is just for my own knowledge.

I thought the cardio zone was higher (what your friend's trainer has her in) and wasn't as ideal for fat burning when compared to the fat burning zone (lower), but then again, I don't know her age. That just seemed a bit high to me, but I'm not that well versed, so I may be completely misguided.
  • 00trayn
    00trayn Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    I use my HRM when I run and it's a decent guideline for me. Usually when I'm maxed out and feel the need to take a walking break, my heart rate is above 180. However, I've been able to run a steady pace with my heart rate in the 180s, so it depends on the day, my breathing, the weather, etc. I also tend to have a higher HR when I run than some people who train more consistantly. But, it's a good way to determine how much steam I've got left. When my HR is up around 185, I know I need to bring my pace down or I won't be able to go for much longer.

That being said, it's not essential. I just like it to see how I'm doing and track how many calories I'm burning.
  • Sp1nGoddess
    Sp1nGoddess Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    I use a HRM when I can run - I have a Garmin Forerunner - I love the GPS features, and mainly use it to track mileage and calorie burn. I would not use a friends trainer's advice as we are all different - there is a lot of debate as to how to calculate maximum heart rate to determine your zones and what the zones themselves are. I track my average HR on my runs and look at the trend to see if I'm improving on similar runs.

Interval training is the best for fat loss and you don't need a monitor to do it. Run all-out for 20-60 seconds, walk until you catch your breath - repeat about 10 times.
  • Starzy696
    Starzy696 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I actually use my polar watch to monitor my heart rate. I am constantly checking it to see where I am and then at the end it gives me my average heart rate for the duration.

If I am at the gym, I try to use the heart rate monitors on the equipment when running too.
  • JoolieW68
    JoolieW68 Posts: 1,879 Member
    Options
    I wear it on and off, mostly off. The only way I can get it to consistently keep the heart rate going is to wear it under my sports bra, and it is a bit uncomfortable. I've even loosened the elastic strap.

And dang....200?? That seems high to me...but everybody is different. Mine gets to a max of 165 when I'm running at a comfortable pace.
  • EllieMo
    EllieMo Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    As I understand it, HIIT (high intensity interval training) is one of the best ways to get fit and burn calories, and that sounds like what your friend's PT is doing. However, the idea of HIIT is that is is a short but intense workout, so yuo would maybe do 20 mins alternating between high and lower intensity. So if you are doing a longer run, you are unlikely to want to spend the whole time doing HIIT!
  • http://exercise.about.com/od/weightloss/a/The-Truth-About-The-Fat-Burning-Zone.htm

A good beginning resource about why people are concerned about heart rate zones. For me, it's really hard to do without my HRM, but after I got it, I check it so much that I run the risk of not looking where I'm actually going. Yay! A new OCD! The best part about thinking about exercise this way is that you can alter strength training workouts in such a way that your heart rate stays up and you can burn more calories with them than you might have before.
  • jennmoore3
    jennmoore3 Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    Well, I just jumped onto the running bandwagon. I always use my HRM. Walking my HR is 135ish running it goes up fast. to the 177 range and I have to stop and walk. When it gets that high my chest feels like it could explode. So now I walk for "2 houses" on my block, get my HR back to the 150's or lower then run again. My average today was 3.13 miles in 40.06 minutes. Not too shabby for a overweight new runner. Plus I like it for calories burned to log here. I have done 2 races and have one this weekend, and I have used it the whole time. I like to see the numbers. I like to see I am not a wimp because my HR is 177 so I NEED to stop for a bit.
  • Chagama
    Chagama Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    I never monitor my heart rate while I run. I also find that once I slow down and walk it's hard to get going again, so I don't like to stop for anything that's not absolutely necessary - like cars, trucks, etc.
  • heathero76
    heathero76 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I just started using a HRM to guage my calories plus to help make sure I'm really working as hard as I think I am. I have been staying btwn 85-92% (I can remember the rate) but I run around 10:30-11min pace.

To get faster, eventually you are going to have to push yourself into a pace where you are uncomfortable...like during intervals.

For the average person, maybe the advice the trainer gave would be ok, but if you are looking to become a dedicated runner I don't think I would stop for walk breaks unless needed.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,473 Member
    Options
    no, i do not.
  • ktbia
    ktbia Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    "For the average person, maybe the advice the trainer gave would be ok, but if you are looking to become a dedicated runner I don't think I would stop for walk breaks unless needed."

Jeff Galloway is a huge proponent of walk breaks and its not just for beginners

As for me, I do monitor my hr, I just got a Gar min 610. I love it. I don't really do much with the information yet, but I am learning a lot. I ran my first half marathon on sunday at a comfortable pace, and my hr was right around 150.
  • My1985Freckles
    My1985Freckles Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    Is she conditioning her heart? When I run (I usually walk 0.15miles/run 0.15miles/walk 0.15miles/run 0.15miles), My HR is 175-185 during my running portions and finally gets back down to 140's before I start another interval. It isn't a matter of my not being able to catch my breath, but that my heart feels like it is going to explode out of my chest. Your heart may be more conditioned than hers. So it isn't as hard on your heart to run constantly.
  • My1985Freckles
    My1985Freckles Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    Well, I just jumped onto the running bandwagon. I always use my HRM. Walking my HR is 135ish running it goes up fast. to the 177 range and I have to stop and walk. When it gets that high my chest feels like it could explode. So now I walk for "2 houses" on my block, get my HR back to the 150's or lower then run again. My average today was 3.13 miles in 40.06 minutes. Not too shabby for a overweight new runner. Plus I like it for calories burned to log here. I have done 2 races and have one this weekend, and I have used it the whole time. I like to see the numbers. I like to see I am not a wimp because my HR is 177 so I NEED to stop for a bit.

Psst! We don't jump on the bandwagon we run behind it LOL

But seriously, THIS! As you are getting more conditioned you can make your intervals longer running, shorter walking. I know the "heart is going to explode" feeling. Better to walk at that point than to keel over. :-)
  • jennmoore3
    jennmoore3 Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options

Psst! We don't jump on the bandwagon we run behind it LOL

But seriously, THIS! As you are getting more conditioned you can make your intervals longer running, shorter walking. I know the "heart is going to explode" feeling. Better to walk at that point than to keel over. :-)

Exactly! Today instead of walking for a few minutes, I walked for 2 houses and then went back to running. I felt awesome! I am glad to see your HR is like mine... high when we run. I don't know how people can run with a 150 HR. maybe they are fitter than me. my resting HR is 85-95ish, and when I am just hanging out it is low 100's. lol
  • coopersmom2006
    Options
    I use mine with any workout I do so I can get an accurate calorie count.
  • mamagooskie
    mamagooskie Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    Yes I do......only because I can go longer and get a better burn if I stay within a certain range. So I pace myself but I"m pretty good now that I tell what my HR is at the moment before I even check my watch. If I am doing HIIT I need to know so I definitely monitor it then.