metformin: started today! any success stories?

Options
So, following my ultrasound scan that came out PCOS positive, my Doc suggested i start metformin as my bf and i r trying for baby number one. Just curious to hear your stories! Took my first tab tonight don't feel any of the dreaded sickness or tummy upset SO FAR! and a bonus is that my periods never stopped in the first place (just had 30-40 day cycles) and the ultrasound showed i was about to ovulate... So Im thinkin. It shouldn't take toooo long to fall pregnant?
Advice or whatever would b grately appreciated!!
Thank u :-)

Replies

• GeorgieT23
    Options
    And, if the tablets don't make me feel sick, does that mean they are not going to work?
    Or just that i haven't given it long enough?
    And wen it does make you feel like rubbish, is it only around the time of takin tablet. Or does it last all day?
  • minkakross
    minkakross Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    metformin never made me sick but if I ate something high fat or super sweet it would give me the fast trip to the bathroom if you know what I mean. I went on the metformin originally for my pcos in combination with synthroid for slightly low thyroid and birth control because I only cycled once every 4 to 6 months. I was on them for about 2 years solid before we were ready to start having kids and my doctor said we'd give it a year before trying anything new so off the birth control I went and it took about 3 months. I was noticing that cycle 1 came on time like birth control clock work, cycle 2 was a week late, and cycle 3 of course never came because we were positive. did develop gestational diabetes so ended up on insulin for part of the pregnancy but was off again when she popped out. Baby number two literally took us one month to conceive but through all of it I was on metformin even while pregnant. last ultrasound I had showed that the ovaries still look horrible but I have at least started cycling on my own without the birth control, which had started causing it's own problems after baby number two. through what has now been 10 years on metformin the only side effect I've had is the bathroom if I ate certain foods so maybe you'll be okay.
  • GeorgieT23
    Options
    So there is hope lol fantastic. You cheered me up hearing that. Congrats on both your little ones. Because of the PCOS Im kinda prepared for gettin GD through pregnancy. Just hope a miracle happens for us very soon like did with you! Iv heard so many stories its so inspiring and has made me feel a bit less rubbish about it all!
  • saraparris82
    Options
    Best of luck Georgie! Met did make me feel pretty crappy at first but it quickly got better. And it was worse with certain foods. I wouldn't be too worried about it. And if it gives you hope, I am insulin resistant on top of the PCOS and had no GD with either pregnancy. Just eat healthy and exercise. If GD does happen, you'll know you did everything you could. And if you do get GD, you have the tools and resources to manage it well.

Good luck! I get way too excited for other people to get pregnant or have babies. I love it.
  • GeorgieT23
    Options
    aww thanks a lot, i get overly excited too so i get it! Im sure ill tell the world once it does happen lol x