10K Q&A Poll...need answers please!! :)

Options
Running my first 10K May 19th.

1.) Do you run your races with or without some form of music? iphone, mp3 player, etc? I am thinking no, but wondering if anyone does this?

2.) Bought some new Brooks running shoes...love them! How soon should I start breaking them in? Can I get them too used before my race? I wore them on my run last night :) So comfy.

3.) How do you run your 10k? Pace yourself the entire way with no extremes? light jog until the end? Fast the entire way?

I am not really doing this for competitive purposes, as its my first 10k. I just want to finish and I dont care if I cross the line crawling! haha! I have no problems with a 5K...But would like my 10K time to be 60 minutes or less for some reason. I dont know, just a goal I threw out there :wink:
So far, I can get 5.56 miles in 60 minutes, so I have some work to do...but just curious how everyone runs their races. THANKS!!!

Replies

• bsdive
    bsdive Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I run my races with music when possible- sometimes there are rules about not wearing music (usually it is due to safety and running in the roads)
    I would definitely break in the shoes- figure out how many miles you run a week and then that should help determine how early you can start to wear them. I would only use them for running so they wouldn't get too worn.
    I would take it easy like you do when you run for your workouts and speed up if you are feeling good- I get caught up starting too fast sometimes because I am keeping up with the other runners around me and then feel like I am going to die.
    I usually have the goal of finishing and then beating my best time the next time out.
    Good Luck- you will do great!
  • thesarahsundae
    thesarahsundae Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I run my races with my music. I just feel it helps me run better. And I enjoy it. I'm bored without my music.

Break those sneakers in!! The last thing you want is to run with new sneakers on the day of your race.

And pace yourself. Have fun and enjoy it. Sounds like you're already doing that. Have fuN!!
  • rebecca_d35
    rebecca_d35 Posts: 131
    Options
    Bumping for the same advice. Good luck with your training--I'm in the same boat!
  • Chagama
    Chagama Posts: 543 Member
    Options

1.) Do you run your races with or without some form of music? iphone, mp3 player, etc? I am thinking no, but wondering if anyone does this?

2.) Bought some new Brooks running shoes...love them! How soon should I start breaking them in? Can I get them too used before my race? I wore them on my run last night :) So comfy.

3.) How do you run your 10k? Pace yourself the entire way with no extremes? light jog until the end? Fast the entire way?

I am not really doing this for competitive purposes, as its my first 10k. I just want to finish and I dont care if I cross the line crawling! haha! I have no problems with a 5K...But would like my 10K time to be 60 minutes or less for some reason. I dont know, just a goal I threw out there :wink:
    So far, I can get 5.56 miles in 60 minutes, so I have some work to do...but just curious how everyone runs their races. THANKS!!!
    1) I usually don't run with music in races. Some have rules against it, some allow it but discourage it, so I just don't bother so all races are the same for me. Besides, there's a lot of interesting things to look at and listen to.

2) That's plenty of time to break in your new shoes. Shoes are usually good for somewhere around 500 miles, so you shouldn't have to worry about using them too much before the race.

3) I just find whatever pace feels comfortable that day and run to enjoy it. I'm never worrying about being competitive. If my comfortable pace is slower than what I'd like to do, I may try and push it, but for the most part I listen to my body.

Good luck, and don't forget to have fun and enjoy it.
  • taramaureen
    taramaureen Posts: 569 Member
    Options

I run with music, although I did my first half without music. I prefer music keeps me going.

Break 'em in early! Or late, doesn't matter which. Some people say "nothing new" on race day but brand spankin' new shoes always help me perform better.

I pace myself the entire way and try not to have extremes except for the very beginning and the very end. My first mile will be slightly slower than my next four, and my last will be fast.