Looking for support & friends

Options
Hello everyone. My name is Rachel and I am a mother to 7 kids, not all mine naturally, but mine still the same. I am married to a wonderful man. I am a full time student and work part time at our local library. I am always on the go, so eating right is hard sometimes. I have set goals for myself to be at small increments, so I don't get discouraged. I figure 5# at a time is a good goal. I just got the Just dance 3 Wii game and it has already kicked my butt. I also have a walk 5 mile Wii workout. I am trying to get in the habit of doing 1 or the other everyday to get me back in shape. Trying to find time to go to the gym as well. Just not enough hours in the day it seems. I have a low self esteem and this causes me to get discouraged. But I want to overcome this. I am learning to eat healthier, but at restaurants, I have problems choosing the healthier things to eat. I am looking for support and more friends to help me on this road and for me to provide support for them as well.

Replies

• Chagama
    Chagama Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you have a good attitude and good approach. I think it's good to break down the weight loss into 5 or 10 pound increments. That's something you can work on and attain in a reasonable amount of time. Looking at the entire thing is just overwhelming and demoralizing
  • mgogl27
    mgogl27 Posts: 7
    Options
    Hi! I'm fairly new here as well, at least in terms of communicating with other members. I've used the site sporadically in the past, then left for a bit and gained back most of what I lost- feel free to add me, I need all the support I can get!

Saw your post and wanted to recommend picking up Dance Dance Revolution for Wii- I use it and it is tons of fun and, once you are able to do it at a higher difficulty, really gets you moving and working up a sweat! Unlike Just Dance (which I also have but don't use terribly often) Dance Dance Revolution has a work-out mode where you can enter your weight and it tells you how many calories you burn- not sure how accurate it is, but I know that when I did it daily (which was easy to do because it was fun!) I lost weight like crazy.

Good luck with everything!
  • savisue
    savisue Posts: 6
    Options
    7 kids - wow! That must make life interesting :) It sounds like you are on the right track for success! If you would like, feel free to add me as a friend. I'm looking for some motivational buddies that we can motivate each other!
  • alt1268
    alt1268 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Eating out at restaurants is hard. I try and have a bunless hamburger or grilled chicken or a salad with lite dressing or vinegar. It sounds like you have a good plan and you can find lots of friends here. Feel free to add me.
  • ksalmon1998
    Options
    Anyone looking for more pals & encouragement feel free to add me
  • tyoung75
    tyoung75 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP! Feel free to add me.
  • saltgin22
    Options
    Low self esteem is an issue most of us trying to lose weight face. It's hard going to the gym and seeing all of these people who are in better shape. Just remember that you are there to improve your self image and do not worry about what other people look like. This is about you and only you. Besides, most gyms are judgment free environments. Everyone is there for basically the same reason. Hang in there and do the best that you can.
  • Meatsies
    Meatsies Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Hi! I have twins who are 3 1/2 years old, so as a mom I can understand how hard it is to focus on yourself. I'm really committed to this lifestyle change, and am looking for friends who will be active and vocal on MFP. I've already gotten a lot of great ideas/tips from buddies on here...feel free to add me if you'd like!
  • StephnElbow
    StephnElbow Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    you can add me if you want.
    everyone here understands where you are comming from, but i think setting small goals like that is perfect. I do the same thing except i set it for the next 10lbs bracket, like 180-170, etc. thinking how far you have to reach your end goal can be too much to handle sometimes
  • stephaneb74
    stephaneb74 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Welcome here.... I love the idea of 5# mini goals..... I too have a major goal weight and 10# mini goals with little treat rewards for each of them..... nothing major, just something I can look forward to.
    Life with 7 kids will definitely make it harder... but not impossible. The wii approach is a great idea, MFP logging is awesome..... even if you go over in the beginning, just log everything. That will train you back to chose better nutrition, smaller portions etc....

This is a long journey but it will not take long before you start seeing these pounds melting.....

Feel free to add me, I like to have friends :-)
  • nickatz
    nickatz Posts: 9
    Options
    I like the 5 at a time - sounds like something I could incorporate in my plan. Please feel free to add me.
  • nissibeach
    Options
    Hi Im also new here so would be great to support eachother!
    Can anyone help me, Im a little confussed. My goal calorie intake is 1200 but with the excersize I have done it's went up 785 calories. I dont eat those do I? I want to loose 2lb per week.
  • FunandFitMom
    FunandFitMom Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP!

Being a wife and mom makes it hard to focus on yourself since we're always doing for others. A wellness coach put it into perspective for me a few weeks ago...Think about the flight attendant shpiel (not sure if I spelled that right)...Place the mask on yourself first so that you're able to help others. By taking care of yourself, you are healthier and have more energy to help others. (Sounds good in theory, right?)

I would LOVE to leverage the MFP community a little better - accountability is my issue. Please feel free to add me - I'd be glad to be a cheerleader!
  • AshRyd
    AshRyd Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Welcome and good luck! With a busy schedule I have found it easier (over time) to pre-package my food for the week on Sunday evenings. My kids think that fridge looks silly monday morning with all my little plastic containers of food - pre-bagged veggie mix for snacks, pre-cooked and bagged hamburger patties with a slice of cheese, grilled extra chicken over the weekend chopped up and ready to grab,and my atkins shakes (high protein low carb shakes). Then I just grab, throw in my pretty new lunch bag (this is a must have!!!!) and go during the week.

Park in the last parking space and wear a podemeter --- those helped me. They say you are supposed to get in 10,000 steps a day and with 7 kids you probably get that and sometimes more! But it sure helped me track my movement (or lack of) every day.

Good luck and looking forward to seeing your success post in the future!!
  • janawalks
    Options
    I'm really inspired by everyone's positive posts here! I'm Jana - I want to lose 34 pounds by August 1st - 17 weeks from tomorrow, so attempting to lose 2 pounds per week by doing four 30- minute workouts per week and eating a total of 1550 calories. I'm losing this same weight for the THIRD time, and this time hope to keep it off permanently. I don't really care for exercise, but am going to pick up walking again, since I live in a beautiful mountain community in Colorado, and it's very enjoyable to walk or hike here.

My company's annual convention is coming up August 3-4 in Denver, and I would like to get this first bit of weight off by then. After that I'll still have about 90 pounds to lose. This has been a lifelong battle. It's hard not to beat up on myself for my weight.

Hoping to connect with others and share successes and encouragement!:flowerforyou:
  • Ciers
    Ciers Posts: 5
    Options
    welcome.
  • rlmcnay
    rlmcnay Posts: 62
    Options
    Hi! I am a father of 4 kids that are all uner 10 years old so I can relate to your schedule. If you want you can add me so we can help each other tackle the weight monster. :)

Thats goes for anyone else as well I welcome everyone because the more support you have the greater the possibility of success!
  • longarmedmonkey
    longarmedmonkey Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hi Rachel, Just read your story and i wish you a great deal of luck, its one of those journeys that gets eaiser as you achieve more; at least that's what I'm thinking. Anyway I look forward to following your progress and supporting you as you go.

Best wishes

Ian
  • aaderosas
    aaderosas Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    hi im trying to lose weight and i need support and help, i'm tired of eating the whole 1,200 a day it is so bad and yet i need help if i exercise i can get more calories but still sometimes i get tired exercising and everything seems boring hopefully i can find a way to get a push, i was already thin and gained it back so i'm so angry about that, anyway
  • amymrls
    amymrls Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    I am a mother of 5. I never realized how much I did everyday just taking care of my kids until I bought myself a fitbit. It's hard work! I can't imagine 7 my life is chaotic as it is. Nice to meet you, I hope you accept my friend request.