post half marathon weight gain

Options
So..I ran my first half marathon Sunday. I stayed on track..just a few extra carbs through out the week prior...but stayed in cal range. Saturday..I ate about 2000 carbs rather than my typical 1300...and got in alot of sodium sinee we ate out while traveling for the race. Anyhow..I ran amazing on Sunday. Issue? The scale is up 1.4 lbs! I drank alot of gatorade and water during and after the race. But..I ran for 2 and a half hours! lol. Please tell me this is water weight and my muscles are repairing...and the scale will drop soon..lol

Oh..and...I am planning a 4 mile run tomorrow and Fri and then 5 miles Sunday...is that good for coming right off the half? My quads hate me today :)

Replies

• rebecca_d35
    rebecca_d35 Posts: 131
    Options
    1.4 pounds is nothing--could be water alone. And you are amazing! Good for you for running that race. I would be so proud.
  • CMmrsfloyd
    CMmrsfloyd Posts: 2,383 Member
    Options
    If you didn't eat an extra 4900 calories over maintenance and what was burned during the half-marathon, you didn't gain 1.4 lbs of fat. It's almost certainly water weight. Weigh yourself again after a couple of more 'normal' days.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Water weight, don't sweat it (pun intended).

You should take this week as recovery time, walking and short easy runs - give your muscles a chance to repair themselves.

PS congrats on the half-marathon, my next one is at the end of May & I'm just ramping up my volume.
  • bullet1
    bullet1 Posts: 61
    Options
    This would appear to be a situation where you not worry about what the scale says. Feel proud that you ran a 1/2 marathon and let your body do its thing for a little while before worrying about a number. Congrats on completing the 1/2, well done.
  • kiranicsmom
    kiranicsmom Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    First of all, CONGRATS on your half marathon! That is a huge accomplishment. From what you said I imagine that you probably have some weight gain from the sodium intake and it will come off. Look at it this way, you didn't eat an extra 4900 calories which is what it would take to gain the extra 1.4lbs. Also I think that after running 13.1 miles that your body might have some swelling in your muscles too. Don't get stressed about it and enjoy your accomplishments!!!
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    I doubt it's real weight gain. Just to be clear, you ate 2000 carbs or 2000 calories? If you are really wanting to run and worrying about weight - I would suggest the book Racing Weight - great info in the book about balancing your macronutrients. My training plans all call for a full week off after a half and two weeks off with full marathons. I ran 10 a full week after my half and 15 miles on the second weekend after my half.
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your race!

A half-marathon damages the muscle fibres and depletes energy stores. For up to a week you'll have increased water weight as fluids rushes to your muscles to carry out replenishment and repair work.

Have a good recovery period and you'll be back to normal soon.
  • Mad4282
    Mad4282 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Congrats! I gained 4 pounds when training for my half, I hope it was muscle. I took a week off after my half to recover and my first run back was 5 miles at a 9 minute pace. Make sure you give your body the proper recovery time, and you will be great! Your gain sounds like its just water weight, I wouldn't stress it.
  • katcod1522
    katcod1522 Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    2000 calories....not over 1300...but 2000 in general Saturday. I finished the half in 2:33:14 (official chip time) and ran the entire thing! It was amazing!

So...I think it is water weight...I drank alot of gatorade- hello sodium!- on the course..(after blacking out once..my dr told me I need gatorade instead of water to regulate my electrolytes).

So..I will do a 2 mile walk tomorrow..then a 5 mile run Fri and Sun. :)
  • ktbia
    ktbia Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Congrats to you! I just friended you, I think we ran the same race and at almost the same time. I finished 2:33:40!

Anyways, I ate a ton after the race and celebrated, I didn't even log. This morning I am up 4 lbs! Yikes I am back on track and drinking loads of water. Hopefully I didn't do any lasting damage with my eating, lol!
  • tallen3687
    tallen3687 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I am sure the weight is water weight. But good job on the Shamrock Half Marathon. I did the 8K and thought I was doing good. LOL.
  • jo15jo
    jo15jo Posts: 1
    Options
    I just ran half marathon on Sunday. I totally used the two weeks before as an excuse to eat lots of carbs.
    Post race I have gained 6lbs! Gutted. Reading this I really hope it muscle related as I did body conditioning intense class 2 days after and Zumba yesterday and can hardly walk today.

So maybe it's water retention whilst my body is in recovery? Really hope so as I am upset to have gained more weight in 2 weeks that took me 6 months to lose.
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    Step away from the scale!
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    I just ran half marathon on Sunday. I totally used the two weeks before as an excuse to eat lots of carbs.
    Post race I have gained 6lbs! Gutted. Reading this I really hope it muscle related as I did body conditioning intense class 2 days after and Zumba yesterday and can hardly walk today.

So maybe it's water retention whilst my body is in recovery? Really hope so as I am upset to have gained more weight in 2 weeks that took me 6 months to lose.

I've never carb loaded before a half marathon, not sure if you need to do it for two weeks in the future. Just my opinion.
  • gddrdld
    gddrdld Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    So..I ran my first half marathon Sunday. I stayed on track..just a few extra carbs through out the week prior...but stayed in cal range. Saturday..I ate about 2000 carbs rather than my typical 1300...and got in alot of sodium sinee we ate out while traveling for the race. Anyhow..I ran amazing on Sunday. Issue? The scale is up 1.4 lbs! I drank alot of gatorade and water during and after the race. But..I ran for 2 and a half hours! lol. Please tell me this is water weight and my muscles are repairing...and the scale will drop soon..lol

Oh..and...I am planning a 4 mile run tomorrow and Fri and then 5 miles Sunday...is that good for coming right off the half? My quads hate me today :)

You have got to be kidding me...You are concerned about 1.4 lbs.? I gained 7 lbs. while training for my first half marathon. You could vary 1.4 lbs. on the same scale within a few hour period on any given day regardless of what you are or drank. That is well within the realm of "normal fluctuation".
  • juicygurl1
    juicygurl1 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Don't panic, weight fluctuation is normal. All the matters involves how u feel; healthy legs, feet and the rest of ur body parts. You are also gaining some muscle and ur body needs to retain sodium to maintain endurance. Lucky you and congratulations for being healthy enough to run and complete a marathon. Some of us have had to retire our "running shoes" and find another exercise love. Be healthy, be strong and stay in Motion!!!
  • Chipmaniac
    Chipmaniac Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    This is definitely water weight.

I did a double-century (200 mile) ride on my bike in July. I carbo-loaded in advance of the event. I burned around 8000 calories on the ride. I gained a couple pounds in the days after the ride. However, these quickly went away when my body returned to normal and recovered. Now I'm 14 pounds lighter than I was on the ride and 12 pounds under my goal weight, so I don't believe you need to worry.