My secret love affair...

Options
msarro
msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
...with my snooze button is royally screwing up my exercise efforts. For some reason I lack any willpower to get up early. Even if I wake up completely energized and rejuvinated I will keep hitting the snooze button until I've got about a half hour before I'm due wherever - work, planned events, wherever. Part of me was thinking I could use a dremmel and cut it out of my alarm clock, but I'd most likely just reset the time on my alarm :grumble:. This morning I hit my snooze button about 10 times!

Has anyone else had this problem? Have you overcome it? How? Short of wiring my alarm clock to a car battery I don't know how to fix it!

Replies

• msarro
    Options
    ...with my snooze button is royally screwing up my exercise efforts. For some reason I lack any willpower to get up early. Even if I wake up completely energized and rejuvinated I will keep hitting the snooze button until I've got about a half hour before I'm due wherever - work, planned events, wherever. Part of me was thinking I could use a dremmel and cut it out of my alarm clock, but I'd most likely just reset the time on my alarm :grumble:. This morning I hit my snooze button about 10 times!

Has anyone else had this problem? Have you overcome it? How? Short of wiring my alarm clock to a car battery I don't know how to fix it!
  • heavenluv
    heavenluv Posts: 12
    Options
    I have had this problem in the past , but I started putting the alarm clock across the room so I had to get up to shut it off after a while I said well I'm up now . I was never late but the teachers didn't like my kids late every day.:flowerforyou:
  • REB89
    REB89 Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    you could try putting your alarm clock somewhere that would force you to have to get out of bed to turn it off. i always find that the hardest part is not the waking up but actually getting out of bed!
  • msarro
    Options
    I actually have it across my room right now. Maybe I should try putting it in the next room over? My bed is directly in line with two windows so I have the sunlight telling me to wake up too... I just have a hellish time waking up.
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options
    moving the alarm clock might help, lol, but I tried that once and I just went back to sleep with it still going off :blushing:
  • Kkmama
    Kkmama Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    I have the same love/ hate affair with my snooze button too. What I think would be the only way for me to get up (on time) would be to have a blow horn in another room that I have to go pound and then my bed would have to disappear into thin air so I wouldn't crawl back in! :laugh:
  • pam0206
    pam0206 Posts: 700 Member
    Options
    Would it help to go to bed a little earlier? It also helps me if I have all of my clothes/shoes/iPod laid out for my workout the night before. I just think, welp, I've already got all of my stuff out, I might as well go now. Try to force yourself to go just once and you'll have your workout under your belt before your day starts. I like being able to mark it off my list of to-do's early in the day (I usually work out around 1:00pm). Maybe if you go just once, you can remember how good you felt about it and it'll PROPEL you out of the bed the next time....haha....Just a thought. GL.
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options
    Also, you don't HAVE to do your workout in the morning. You could do it after work...... Sometimes I like to do it in the morning to get it out of the way, but I usually do it after dinner.....
  • jenbar
    jenbar Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    They have those new silly alarm clocks that are round and roll all over the floor and make you get up and catch it!
  • Carrie6o6
    Carrie6o6 Posts: 1,443 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem now. I say im going to get up at 6 to go for a jog... I dont mind the jogging bit, but the getting up part.. meh! Finally I've just decided to get up! I push myself really hard... I never get out of bed until 6:20... But I fight it the whole time! Once I'm done my jog I go right back to bed hahha
  • greenbean
    greenbean Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    What helped me is having a workout partner. Knowing that she was expecting me to be there forced me out of bed.:drinker:
  • banks1850
    banks1850 Posts: 3,475 Member
    Options
    will power my friend. Breaking a habit is hard, but forcing yourself to do it a few times shows the unconcious mind that it doesn't NEED the habit. One technique that has worked for me in the past is before you go to sleep, make a solid commitment to wake up when the alarm goes off, no matter what, you just will, really think about it for a good solid minute or so, repeat it in your head as you are trying to drift off. It will suck the first couple of times, but you are stronger then your body's automatic responses that are based on repetition. Do it for a week and I'll bet it won't ever be an issue for you again, just don't use "I'll do it for a week, then I can stop" as a goal. Use something more open ended like "I'll do it for a week, and then we will see how I feel." That will give you the opportunity to be proud of it without feeling like you need to go back to the original pattern.

Good luck.
  • spacie
    spacie Posts: 82
    Options
    you can get radio clocks that instead of an alarm going off the radio come on so you can lie in bed and listen to the radio, then it is harder to go back to sleep because your mind has started concentrating on the voices.
  • moidyn
    moidyn Posts: 112
    Options
    I had a friend with the same problem and she had to set up 3 alarms in her room to get her up. She set them one minute apart, and was super annoyed in the morning, but it worked!!
  • myebinger
    myebinger Posts: 25
    Options
    Oh the snooze button, I know that feeling of love and hate you have for it. You love it cause it give you an extra 10 minutes of sweet dreams, you hate it because of the repercussions. I've tried every trick too. I've set the clock 10 minutes fast (this only works if you have a really bad memory or a complete lack of math skills first thing in the morning), I used to give myself a mental countdown like I was about to launch the shuttle or something, but I kept falling asleep around 5 or 6 and I rarely made it to 1. The final recourse, find an alarm clock without a snooze button....good luck with that. lol
  • myebinger
    myebinger Posts: 25
    Options
    In regards to the silly alarm clock: I could see that flying out the bedroom window within a week.:laugh:
  • Helawat
    Helawat Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    I suggest setting your clock to an hour behind the real time. That way when you hit the snooze button, you won't be late for anything.
  • Violet1980
    Options
    umm... I actually do something kinda silly. First of all, instead of an alarm clock, I use a digital kitchen timer. I have for years. I set the timer for how ever many hours I want to sleep until I need to wake up, then start it right before bed. I have one that actually beeps lightly when there is 10 and 5 minutes remaining so I know it is coming. Finally, when it goes off I turn it off and make my body spazm. Like jumping while laying down. Funny, but I am up at 4:45 every morning without problems. The kitchen timer is effective because there is NO SNOOZE BUTTON! YOu are forced to turn on a lught, be coherent enough to clear the timer, and then set another few minutes to sleep, all the while making sure you hit the start button again. It is a pain in the *kitten*, and that is why it works!
  • rowlandk
    rowlandk Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I actually started putting my alarm in the kitchen so I had to get up and leave my bedroom to turn it off. It worked for a while, but then I just ended up angry that I had to get up. I have started working out right after work at 5 now and I love it. I get off work and go straight to the gym, watch my favorite shows while I'm on the elliptical and I'm usually home around 6:30. It's great. I take a shower and do my homework and go to bed to start all over again. It is working very well for me because I am totally not a morning person.
  • Shannon023
    Shannon023 Posts: 14,529 Member
    Options

msarro,

I hope you catch this, check this out. :happy:

http://www.likecool.com/The_Puzzle_Alarm_Clock--Clock--Home.html