Diet Soda

Options
Just a quick question for all you folks out there regarding diet sodas. I'm addicted to Diet Dew, but because of the "fake" sugar in these types of drinks, I'm guessing it's probably a no-no? My brother says diet sodas are "poison" just because of the amount of aspartame in them (he's a health nut.) Any thoughts on this? I had only 1 Diet Dew yesterday, and that's HUGE for me! HAHA

Replies

• CMmrsfloyd
    CMmrsfloyd Posts: 2,383 Member
    Options
    Depends on whom you ask. I love diet mt. dew, too. I used to drink nothing but diet mt. dew all day long (so at least 2 liters per day). When I joined MFP, I cut back, actually I went cold-turkey for 1 month. Once I got to where I knew I didn't *need* it to feel normal LOL, I started letting myself have 1 or 2 a day again, b/c I really truly enjoy it. I have lost weight just fine allowing myself to enjoy my favorite diet soda pretty much every day. I *do* actually drink water now, I flavor it but at least I'm drinking it, so I don't stress over allowing myself something that I enjoy even if it's not necessarily 'good' for me. I have 2 small kids and diet mt. dew is my chosen source of caffeine. LOL
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    I have read some articles (granted they were articles about the peer reviewed articles, so they were spinning their own take on it) that suggest that aspertame and other sugar substitutes, trigger a part of your brain that will make you crave more sugar... I don't know if that is true or not since I don't drink diet sodas as I don't like the aftertaste that is usually left behind... I do know that with regular sodas made with High Fructose Corn Syrup, I do crave more sugar as well (as opposed to one made with cane or beet sugar)... but that's just my personal experience.
  • KickinButtMomma
    KickinButtMomma Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I have read some articles (granted they were articles about the peer reviewed articles, so they were spinning their own take on it) that suggest that aspertame and other sugar substitutes, trigger a part of your brain that will make you crave more sugar... I don't know if that is true or not since I don't drink diet sodas as I don't like the aftertaste that is usually left behind... I do know that with regular sodas made with High Fructose Corn Syrup, I do crave more sugar as well (as opposed to one made with cane or beet sugar)... but that's just my personal experience.

My doctor has told me the same thing. We keep pitchers of Crystal Light in the fridge for my hubby and my kids to drink and I was concerned that the artificial sweeteners could be harmful to the kids in large quantities. My doctor told me that there was no harm and the only people he would say would be affected were "dieters" because your body reacts to the fake sugar in the same way it would to real sugar. It sends out the enzymes (or whatever, I don't even play a doctor on TV so that could totally be the wrong word!) to tackle the sugar and break it down. If it doesn't find the sugar (it cannot pickup the fake sugar) then a signal is sent to the body that it needs sugar which sparks sugar cravings.

I have given up diet soda for Lent this year and my plan is not to go back. I hardly ever drank water before but now that is all I have except for my daily 2 cups of coffee. But, I say if you are getting your water in then why not have 1-2 throughout the day? (if you do end up with sugar cravings and don't give in!)
  • ElectricMayhem
    ElectricMayhem Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I've also read that those artificial sweeteners are horrible for you.. i don't really drink any at all (i figure better safe than sorry) i get horrible headaches whenever i do so i just generally avoid any diet drinks. I think if you can fit all of your required water in everyday and still have room for 1 or 2 then it's totally up to you :smile:
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Just a quick question for all you folks out there regarding diet sodas. I'm addicted to Diet Dew, but because of the "fake" sugar in these types of drinks, I'm guessing it's probably a no-no? My brother says diet sodas are "poison" just because of the amount of aspartame in them (he's a health nut.) Any thoughts on this? I had only 1 Diet Dew yesterday, and that's HUGE for me! HAHA

Aspartame is an amino acid chain (in other words, it's just protein.) There's more "aspartame" in a 4 ounce pice of chicken then there is in 23 cans of diet soda.* Filter out the biased fear mongering and show your brother the actual science. Aspartame is aspartic acid, combined with phenylalanine. Both are amino acids that are used by the body for various protein duties, and are both found together in every source of protein you eat during the day.

If aspartame was actually toxic, then chicken, beef, tofu, avocados, whey protein, nuts, and anything else that has protein in it would be toxic, as they all have much higher concentrations than you find in a diet soda.

*4 ounces of chicken breast contains 4476 mg of phenylalanine and aspartic acid. An average can of diet soda contains 180-200 mg of aspartame.
  • munchgen
    munchgen Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I haven't read any articles but I allow myself 1 dr pepper a day and that just counts in my calories so I have to eather work out more or just eat more low calorie meals. I am sure if I cut it out completely I would loos more weight but I have had a dr pepper everyday doe like the past 15 years. I am adventuring to flavored water and usually have 1 bottle of that and some sweet tea each day as well.
  • awadley17
    awadley17 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have read that aspartame turns to formaldehyde in your body (for real, look it up). So since I don't care to be embalmed while I'm still alive, I don't drink it at all and I don't allow my kids to drink it either.
  • ANYTHING AND EVERYTHING IS BAD MY DAUGHTER IS 10 AND SHE WONT USE THE PINK PACKETS F SWEET IN LOW BECAUSE SOMEONE TOLD HER IT'S RAT POISION AND CAUSES CANCER ANYTHING CAN CAUSE CANCER THESE DAYS THAT I AM CONVINCED OF.. I DRINK DIET SODA I LIKE THEM ALL COKE ZERO IS MY FAVE IT HAS LOWER SODIUM AND TASTES GREAT ESPECIALLY THE CHERRY ONE.. I ONLY DRINK MAY ONE TO TWO A DAY AND ALTERNATE WITH DIET LIPTON GREEN TEA ( I READ SOMEWHERE 3 EIGHT OUNCE GLASSES OF GREEN TEA HELPS WITH BELLY BLOAT) SO I THINK IT IS UP TO YOU HOW MUCH YOU DRINK..
  • AvsFreak
    AvsFreak Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I drink a can or two a day. Everything in moderation.
  • frogmommy
    frogmommy Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I had been getting headaches/heartburn on a daily basis for what seemed like forever. Through process of elimination and diet tweaking, I linked both to diet Coke. I still drink coffee, so it wasn't caffeine. I still drink unsweetened sparkling water, so it wasn't the carbonation. I didn't want to give up my beloved diet Coke ~ it had been my favorite for over 20 years.

I had something the other day with aspartame in it without realizing at the time. Sure enough, I had a headache after (before I realized that the beverage had aspartame, so it wasn't even psychological).

Not certain if all the research and hype over artificial sweeteners are bogus, but it seems to make sense that our bodies were not really meant for all the chemicals we end up ingesting over the course of our lifetime. Plus, I was very hypocritical ~ I never let my kids eat things with chemical sweeteners, yet I sipped them all day long.
  • karenwill2
    karenwill2 Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    everything in moderation is my motto. Enjoy your Dew!
  • tigersword
    Options
    I have read that aspartame turns to formaldehyde in your body (for real, look it up). So since I don't care to be embalmed while I'm still alive, I don't drink it at all and I don't allow my kids to drink it either.
    Formaldehyde is a normal biological waste product caused by digestion. It has nothing to do with aspartame in particular, that's just another scare tactic that people throw around to scare people like you into not using the product.

http://www.cfs.gov.hk/english/whatsnew/whatsnew_fa/files/formaldehyde.pdf
    Here's a list of foods naturally containing formaldehyde. Notice that the majority of the list is full of healthy foods we should eat on a daily basis? Also note that they all have higher concentrations of it than soft drinks, which are also on the list.
  • JLB05
    JLB05 Posts: 16
    Options
    I gave it up for lent only because I was reaching for a diet coke when I was thirsty instead of water. I drink so much water now and that is better for my body! I think I will continue to not drink them after Easter. It was hard that first week with all the headaches I was getting and I don't want to have to detox myself again!!!
  • amymrls
    amymrls Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    I drink diet everything because I refuse to drink my calories and I have lost almost 120lbs. I think it just depends on the person. The only calories I will drink is a low amount of creatine when I work out so I am not in pain the next day.
  • zbmb30
    zbmb30 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I am also an addict of Diet Mountain Dew. For a while I cut way back and had mainly water. Then I started wanting flavor, so I put water to the curb. My doctor told me about the new Crystal Light packets made with Truvia, or something like that. They're called Crystal Light Pure. He said that they don't have the same ingredients as Diet Mountain Dew that make your have crazy cravings. Just an idea you might want to try. I really enjoy them.
  • nakabi
    nakabi Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    Can someone please pass me a Diet Dr. Pepper?
  • Aryel168
    Aryel168 Posts: 126
    Options

Aspartame is an amino acid chain (in other words, it's just protein.) There's more "aspartame" in a 4 ounce pice of chicken then there is in 23 cans of diet soda.* Filter out the biased fear mongering and show your brother the actual science. Aspartame is aspartic acid, combined with phenylalanine. Both are amino acids that are used by the body for various protein duties, and are both found together in every source of protein you eat during the day.

If aspartame was actually toxic, then chicken, beef, tofu, avocados, whey protein, nuts, and anything else that has protein in it would be toxic, as they all have much higher concentrations than you find in a diet soda.

*4 ounces of chicken breast contains 4476 mg of phenylalanine and aspartic acid. An average can of diet soda contains 180-200 mg of aspartame.

This is very interesting information. Something as a nurse I didnt' even know.THANK YOU EVERYONE FOR YOUR INPUT! I was curious how you folks on here felt about the subject. I will say that my hubby has switched to "regular" coke in the past 4 weeks and doesn't get the headaches anymore, either. He does, however, drink those in moderation.

I think my plan right now is that I am going to keep cold, filtered water (with fresh squeezed lemon juice- NUM) in my fridge and have the occasional fix of Diet Dew. Oh yeah, and I have 10 bottles of Mike's Hard Lemondade (I counted) in there, too, from a few weekends ago. Probably not good, either! :drinker:
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    Diet soda gives me palpatations and anxiety... Love the taste but not worth it! I'm keeping away. If it can do that its bad for you in my opinion x
  • tigersword
    Options
    Diet soda gives me palpatations and anxiety... Love the taste but not worth it! I'm keeping away. If it can do that its bad for you in my opinion x
    You have an allergy, it sounds like. Makes it bad for you, not bad for someone without the allergy. It's like peanuts, some people are allergic to them, and even smelling peanuts in the air can be potentially fatal, but that doesn't mean peanuts are bad for anyone who isn't allergic to them.
  • wlgreen379
    wlgreen379 Posts: 104
    Options
    I am severely addicted to Diet Mt. Dew and I have been for around 10 years. I'd say I would drink on average 8 to 10 cans per day and that wouldn't be enough. I discovered the Mio Energy stuff and I have put down the Dew. Now I'll have 1 Mio drink per day and I may have a 20 oz. bottle of Dew on the weekends. Not 100% sure of the health benefits, but I know I am saving myself a great deal of money by utilizing the Mio. Also, the green Mio energy kind of reminds me of Diet Mt. Dew.