I have over 500 calories left, but I'm not hungry. What to d

Options
2»

Replies

• trysha1231
    trysha1231 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    If you truly feel you need to eat those calories, I would go for toast with peanut butter and a small glass of milk. Both calorie dense and good protein.
  • autumnk921
    autumnk921 Posts: 1,376 Member
    Options
    I have the same issue almost daily so I would love to hear the feedback on this one....I have a really hard time on most days eating all of my calories let alone my exercise calories...Not sure why though...

16043484.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • xafricanqueen07x
    xafricanqueen07x Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I think its really quite simple..if you aren't hungry and you feel full...DON'T EAT....no need to force yourself to eat when you aren't hungry...that reinforces bad habits...:)
  • jadelyndsey
    jadelyndsey Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I would also be interested to hear replies on his topic. Some days i can burn 700 cals in gym but im reluctant to eat up to my total calorie allowance, espeially if i'm not hungry! I suppose the answer may be in the results! If you are losing weight and it wirks for you fine. The general feeling seems to be that if you have accurately calculated your calorie requirements then you should eat what you set out to take in in calories. The deficit between what you need and what you intake will remain he same. Provided you have got our sums iright! In practice i use excerise in order to eat a little more and stay wihin my goal. The idea of eating in order to hit our calorie target even if not hungry takes some getting used to. I can see the logic. The danger is that if you are not hungry but have a major deficit between intake and calories used this can have a knock on effct over a few days and you can get mega hungry!

This is true! Thanks for the reply, think I may just leave it. I feel bloated from drinking so much pop/soda and had a large meal earlier, so I really don't find it necessary. Tomorrow I am doing very little exercise and will have higher calorie meals so the probability is that I will eat all calories tomorrow. At the end of the day, I don't think I could ever say I am starving or not receiving enough food in comparison to some people who must live off of one bowl of maize per day really! Hope it works for me and my body doesn't go into "starvation mode" hahah
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    My physician told me the secret to weight loss is that we have to burn more calories than we take in, so it makes sense that if I eat what I just burned I will stay right where I was. Hope this helps.

MFP makes sure you are already "under" or, to say it another way, even if you do no exercise, you're already in a deficit. So when you exercise, you're asking your body to run on empty.
  • Chloe_Chaos_
    Chloe_Chaos_ Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    If I'm not hungry and I have a lot of calories to deal with (such as your 500 cal deficit) I would make 2 pieces of toast and put 1 tblsp of peanut butter on each piece. But that would be about 300 cals, then I would just leave the deficit. Cant force-feed yourself.
  • tofindmyselfprettyagain
    Options
    If you aren't hungry, don't eat. If you are, eat them. That simple really.

Generally, I view my exercise calories as more of a bonus calorie range. Meaning if I eat all of my allotted calories for the day, but I burned 400, then I get 400 calories worth of extra food. You will feel worse if you aren't hungry and you make yourself eat.
  • chubberlang
    Options
    Its ok to say listen to our body, but i would guess that most of us needing to lose weigtht got here through not doing that! I sometimes eat when i'm not hungry because i know it is the right thing to do eg. To get consistent meals during the day. On the other side of the coin i sonetimes get very hungry and stop myself from over indulging! It would be very nice to eat when hungry and not take much notice of meal times etc. unfortunateky this does not work for me.
  • stephm112
    stephm112 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    I have loads of cals left over today but I'm not going to force myself to eat. I'll just have a better day tomorrow, maybe have a treat :) x
  • Whatamilike
    Options
    What I tend to do is think more in terms of a week than a day. That is, after all more how our bodies work - it's an average over time. Save them if you're not hungry today and have a piece of cake tomorrow - or the next day - or the next day. You don't have to eat exactly the same net cals every day...
  • pukekolive
    pukekolive Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    If you have been drinking carbonated soft drinks then you will feel bloated - from the gas and from the amount of sodium in them - sodium (salt) causes you to retain water which most likely will show as weight on the scale.

Also, I hope these are not full of sugar? They will have a lot of calories if so - carbonated drinks are usually just a mixture of sodium and sugar
  • Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    2 donuts should take care of that for ya. :)

Blimey, it was eating like that that got me back here LOL
  • MissFit0101
    MissFit0101 Posts: 2,382
    Options
    I won't tell you what you should or should not do. I will just say if I had 500 calories left and I wasn't hungry, I simply wouldn't eat them. I would certainly not make a habit of having so many calories left, but I would not force feed myself. If I found that this was happening too often, I would start consuming higher calorie/ higher fat foods during the day. A little peanut butter here or some evoo there, with a handful of nuts there, will help add up the calories quick.
  • wells0707
    wells0707 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    If you aren't hungry don't eat :) I see that you already hit over 1200 calories for the day so you aren't starving. Plus I'm sure there are days that you go over the suggested calorie limit. I'm sure it will even itself out in the end. Your body won't starve ..and it doesn't have a 24 hour clock built in either. Good luck
  • frugalmomsrock
    frugalmomsrock Posts: 1,123
    Options
    I'd say, since you don't habitually eat way below, don't worry about it. If you feel like you can/should have a little something more, make it something calorie dense, but not so filling--like a TBSP of peanut butter.
  • Paultb
    Paultb Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    It is important to train your body when to eat. Small meals often and you will never be hungry - but you will eat because it is time to eat. Just like brushing your teeth etc.

If you are on a schedule and filling your nutritional needs, don't worry about a shortage of calories occasionally.
  • barbergirl28
    barbergirl28 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I was always eating under my calorie goal. I was burning so much in exercise it just seemed like so much. So I figured the extra burn would probably pay off on the scale. However, this meant that I was not netting 1200 calories a day with my exercise. This past week I have been starving... I felt like a bottomless pit. Now I am not against eating back my calories so I ate them back... I even went over. I lost 2.2 pounds! To me - that shows what eating back your calories can do after only one week. However, it is good to plan ahead. You don't want to be eating 500 calories before you go to bed (unless of course it is ice cream - which is my quilty pleasure;) and I have been known to occasionally treat myself with that!)
  • jbrinda1
    jbrinda1 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    My physician told me the secret to weight loss is that we have to burn more calories than we take in, so it makes sense that if I eat what I just burned I will stay right where I was. Hope this helps.

MFP makes sure you are already "under" or, to say it another way, even if you do no exercise, you're already in a deficit. So when you exercise, you're asking your body to run on empty.

^this

When you join MFP, it takes into account your BMR and how much you want to lose so a deficit is already built in. Any additional deficit from workout calories not eaten back would theoretically cause additional loss.