Female Hormones affecting weight loss???

Options
UGH!!! I have been maintaining the same weight for almost 2 weeks. I know I am losing inches because I can see it. Plus my clothes are getting more loose. I went shopping this weekend and tried on clothes two-three sizes smaller than what I was wearing. I just would like to see the scale move. Another thing is hormones ( you know where I am coming from ladies) I seem to only loose weight during two weeks out of the month but it is usually like 2-4 lbs and then I maintain for about two weeks and then loose again. This is so frustrating!!! Anyone else have this problem??

I am currently doing South Beach Diet and currently keeping my calories at 1300. I was doing 1200 calories but I was starving and feeling light headed and weak so I upped it and feel a little better. I also do Zumba three times a week and on the other days I walk and do toning exercises (squats, sit ups, things of that nature). Any one have any ideas to help me see results?

I am thinking of seeing my DR to find out if something hormonal or something else is going on. Any positive help would be appreciated.

Replies

• Nelski
    Nelski Posts: 1,607 Member
    Options
    Are you eating back your exercise calories and/or have 1 high calorie day a week? I haven't done a Zumba class(just a little on Wii) but people seem to burn a lot of calories from it so might need to eat more.
  • zumbamommaof4
    zumbamommaof4 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I eat back some of my calories but not all. I was thinking I may be eating too little. I lost 33lbs 4 years ago not tracking calories and doing the South Beach Diet. This time around I thought I would track my calories. I am having a much harder time losing weight this time around. I don't know if I am just having a hard time because I am older or I am just not eating enough.
  • Nelski
    Options
    I'm no expert but after years of spending time on sites like this and doing a little of my own research, it seems like you just need to eat more. Lately I have been eating a little lower M-Th because I will eat higher on the weekend but it all averages out to the same weekly goal. Do you know what your BMR is approximately? You should be at LEAST eating that. Another way is you could figure out what your maintenence calories are and reduce those by 15-20% for fat loss and forget logging exercise.
  • zumbamommaof4
    zumbamommaof4 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    My BMR is 1468 and it says I need 2277 to maintain the weight I am at right now. This is not where I want to be!! So I created a deficit of 20% and that still would be over 1800 calories. That seems like a lot. What do you think??? I do not want to take a chance of gaining anymore weight. To be honest I am going on a cruise in a little over a month and do not want to mess up what I have already accomplished.
  • MindyG150
    MindyG150 Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    When I did my BMR I calculated at the weight I want to be, and for me that is 1343 (I'm 5'6"). I lose NO weight 2 weeks out of the month and even though I stick with my plan I sometimes gain. It's a roller coaster ride for sure!
  • Nelski
    Options
    No, I don't think 1800 is a lot. I am no expert so this is just from my experience and reading about many others experiences but that sounds about right on. It's up to you if you choose to up your calories, but it's my opinion that you should if you are going to stay that active. If you have been doing around 1200 for a while you might want to gradually up it. Maybe just try around your BMR on your light activity days, 1600 on higher calorie burn days and work up to it, see how it goes. You could also try keeping your calories around your BMR for most of the week and have 1 high calorie day, like in the Spike Diet. You just have to play around with it and find what works for you but eating 1200 only a day probably won't work out in the long run.
  • shakybabe
    shakybabe Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    I have problems. I'm peri-menopausal and have under active thyroid.. I'm currently down to losing 2lb a month and only lose it the week the water comes off, luckily I only have 3lb to go, but its still really frustrating!

I know its Estrogen and Cortisol levels rising that cause the cravings the week before and Chromium helps control cravings so don't get through as much chocolate, as I'm currently getting 2 weeks of cravings and water retention a month! :sad: