Too much fibre and protein

Options
Abednos
Abednos Posts: 20 Member
Hello!

First i just want to say that i am 19 years old. I have a question about too much fibre and protein in my diet.
I just started a new diet and I am trying to eat healthy. I want to lose a bit of weight.

So my question is: is it bad to eat too much fibre? Looking at my food diary for today I can see that I ate 35g of fibre today.
So is this too much? because the diary says that I ate 23g more than what I am supposed to?
Now I know that fibre is good, but is too much also good?

Also according to my diary I ate 49 g of protein which is 8 more that I am supposed to..?

I am eating within my calorie limit but I want to get the right amount of everything and I am a bit confused ...

I would really appreciate if someone tells me their opinion on this!

Thanks in advance!!

Replies

• melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Both fibre and protein should be regarded as minimum targets, rather than bad to go over.

You can certainly get up to 100g protein a day (and should be eating more protein if you are strength training) without any worries.
  • wewon
    wewon Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    Too much fiber can cause cramping and bloating and ironically constipation if you don't drink enough water.

Too much protein can stress your kidneys.
  • Abednos
    Options
    Thanks!

Okay so I know that too much of anything isn't good but will I still lose weight if I eat these amounts ? Or will it slower my weight loss?

I really am confused as I know that i shouldnt eat a lot of carbs too, but there is not much left to eat ... :(
  • MissCheese
    MissCheese Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    If you are within your calorie goal then you will lose weight regardless of the amount of carbs, protein, fat or fibre.

A high fibre intake is great provided you drink plenty of fluids. I've been gradually increasing mine and finding I suffer from time to time with constipation.

Good luck with your weight loss.
  • Abednos
    Options
    Thank you! Now I am a bit less worried :)
  • irridia
    irridia Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    As everyone else said, drink loads of water, it will negate ill effects of fiber and some of protein. High protein is okay if you are utilizing it i.e. strength training. And keep up your water, minimum water intake for someone trying to lose weight is 1oz/.5 of your body weight, so if you are 200lbs you should be drinking 100oz water/day and adding more for fiber and exercise. I've not researched for the amounts to add.
  • alexngbr
    alexngbr Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    With regards to fibre then it can be good for you to increase amounts slightly e.g. to 35-50g/day as diets low in fibre are associated with increased risk of bowel cancer. Also fibre is harder to digest so hangs around in the stomach for longer making you feel full. Downsides can be constipation and flatulence though!