Training for 5k Question

Options
dee74
dee74 Posts: 62 Member
I have a question regarding training for a 5k. I will start by saying I have never tried running. I am in good shape fitness wise and have a great neighborhood for running. The loop is 3.4 miles so a little longer then a 5K. I can easily walk this distance and it is a good mix of hilly and almost flat. The training programs I see all assume you are a couch potato first. Any suggestions for where I am at. Should I just jog as much as I can and walk the entire thing everytime or should I go longer distances each time and just push the jog/run longer each time? Any advice is appreciated.

Replies

• jenrod1118
    jenrod1118 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    i don't have much to add in but want to congratulate you on your awesome weight loss!!
  • JoolieW68
    JoolieW68 Posts: 1,879 Member
    Options
    You may want to follow the Couch to 5K or even Run Your Butt Off - just a couple of weeks into the program.

I didn't follow either, though, and did what you mentioned - just run a bit, then walk a bit, then run, etc. I extended my running and shortened my walking until I could do a mile without stopping, then just kept going.
  • amayarnell
    amayarnell Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    you can always google 5k training plans..and some have a choice of beginner, intermediate and advanced. Jeff Galloway has superb training schedules! His training helped me run my first half marathon! and im currently using his 10k schedule. good luck! :)
  • JoolieW68
    JoolieW68 Posts: 1,879 Member
    Options
    Oh, the other thing I HIGHLY recommend is to make sure you have proper shoes for YOUR feet/stride. The correct shoes will save you a lot of pain in your feet, ankles, knees, and back.
  • missdaisy79
    missdaisy79 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    I'd recommend starting off with some interval training. Jog for ten minutes, walk for five, jog for ten and repeat (or something like that). Start off as slowly as you can with the jogging. If you feel you can go more slowly, do so. Aim to get around the course jogging non stop before you work on your speed.

Couch to 5 k is a good system, and google will find it for you easily. If you're not a couch potato at the moment, start at around week 4 or 5. Happy jogging!
  • marydb0000
    Options
    I used to walk, assuming my knees just couldn't handle the run. Then one day I decided what the hell, and started running. I never had any real knee issues, and I never looked back. My advice would be to start with what you're comfortable with. Start at a jog and listen to the cues your body gives you. If there's pain, stop. If it's an issue with breathing then you can work through that. Good luck!
  • skingszoo
    skingszoo Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    That's why I had a problem with any training programs too. I was in decent shape so jogging for 30 seconds was easy for me. What I did was I would set markers like at this intersection I would stop walk for a block then run again until this spot. I would slowly increase the time I spent running it and less walking. If I got to a spot where it was time to walk and I still was ok with running I would keep going.
  • Abbygrlbff
    Abbygrlbff Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Hello,

I was in a similar situation as yourself and just followed the couch-5K program. It really works and only takes 9 weeks to complete. I was in pretty decent shape before I started, however, running more difficult for me for some reason, and this program really taught me to run! Good Luck!
  • BoxingAli
    BoxingAli Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Definitely couch to 5k...it really works. i completed the program and have ran a 5k and a 4-mile run. i never thought that i would be able to run that far w/o stopping.

Good luck!
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    interval training, look at the 10k stuff. I try to get up to 7 miles to train for the 5k.
  • blittle2
    blittle2 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I would suggest trying to do intervals. the first week, maybe 3 times a week run for a minute then walk 2 and repeat. If you get to the point where you can't run then just finish it off with a walk. Usually you start with shorter distances but if you can walk it then I would say its ok to do the loop. Then each week increase the run 30 seconds to a minute. I have found that for me running long distances that a 4 minute run and a 1 minute walk works, but my 4 minute run I push myself harder each time and it's helped increase my speed overall. Just take it easy, listen to your body, if you feel like you need to walk longer then do it, if you can run longer then do it. But overall I say push yourself but enjoy your run each time.
  • lauraemthomson
    lauraemthomson Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    i started training at the gym first before land....my journey

started running at a speed of 8.5 for 5 mins walk for 1 and continued like that till 5k was done
    then increased to
    started runing 9.0 for 7 mins and walk for one thill 5k completed
    that was nearly two months ago and now i run 9.5 -10.5 for 6k 3times a week.
    if this is in aid of charity- dont get yourelf to uptight with times and speeds as from experience you can never run your fastest due to the amount to people there. - it would be a slow jog/ fast walk relistically.

good luck! hope this helps

3932259.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • 99clmsntgr
    99clmsntgr Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    Start with one of the training plans and see how you're doing in a couple weeks. I started with c25k, by the time I got through with week 3 I decided it wasn't moving fast enough for me and I just started running on my own, setting up my own goals.

Runner's world also has a Smart Coach program (which I use) and it allows you to put in goal races, how many miles you want to run in a week and a baseline time/result and it will poop out a training program for you. FWIW, your training plan will likely include runs longer than the 3.4 mile loop of your community (LSD's were the key to my improved performance), depending on how many miles you want in a week. You'll be starting out at the 3-mile range for those, but don't be surprised if you're up around 6 or 7, even if you're training for "just" a 5K (as an example, my current 5K plan has my weekend LSD's at 9 miles).
  • sarafil
    sarafil Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    start where you feel comfortable, but don't do too much, too soon. Many people are in decent shape, but can still injure themselves when beginning running. Running follows the rules of 10, one of which is don't increase your mileage more than 10% per week. You still may want to follow a structured program, maybe just start at the point where you are running a mile without stopping, if that is what is easy for you at this point. Good luck!
  • lauraemthomson
    lauraemthomson Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    That's why I had a problem with any training programs too. I was in decent shape so jogging for 30 seconds was easy for me. What I did was I would set markers like at this intersection I would stop walk for a block then run again until this spot. I would slowly increase the time I spent running it and less walking. If I got to a spot where it was time to walk and I still was ok with running I would keep going.

good advice and realistic

3932259.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • Bomber989
    Bomber989 Posts: 24
    Options
    The C25K plan may help you transition into a "high impact" activity. Joint and shin injury would be the only real concerns as you start to run.
  • dee74
    Options
    i don't have much to add in but want to congratulate you on your awesome weight loss!!

Thank you.
  • kreat
    kreat Posts: 136
    Options
    I just ran my first 5k last Friday and did it in 28:25 mins. I'm in the Air Force and have to run at least 1.5 miles every 6 months for my test. I didn't really train too much on the 5k, but all I did ws I would run my first 1.5 miles like I was testing for my test. Then the on the 7th and 8th lap, I jogged a little slower than running to regain my breath. on the last 4 laps, I started jogging faster until by the last lap, I was almost as fast as I was when I started running the full run. I just pushed myself.

All the laps I would hope you know I was talking about a regulation sized outside track. Also, the treadmil helps sometimes so that you can set a speed and get used to seeing and feeling how fast you would have to run to get a time that you were happy with. I really hope that helped. I know it helped me.
  • dee74
    Options
    OK I am reading a lot of interval training suggestions and C25K so I may start there. I am a big believer in not doing too much too soon, I like to avoid injury and pain. Many of these plans have time intervals. What did you find was a good way to keep track of you time you jog//walk in the intervals?
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Couch to 5k is great, but I've also heard that a great way to go about it is, "Run until you need to walk, walk until you're ready to run again."

Edited to add: When I first did C25K, I used the treadmill, so the time was right in front of me. I did it again recently as a way of easing back into running after a stress fracture, and while I started on the treadmill, by week three, I was outside again. I ran laps in the park by my house, and would just go by distance instead of time. You can plot out your route on Runkeeper or MapMyRun, too, and remember different landmarks. IE, Run to the house with the St. Bernard, then walk to the one with the funky mailbox, then run to the one who still has their Christmas lights on the porch, then walk to the one where my BFF from grammar school lived...