supplementing calcium and iron

Options
i never seem to get enough calcium or iron, should i supplement, so that i meet my requirements everyday. Osteoporosis runs in my family and i drink a ton of tea, so i never have high enough iron to donate blood? Plus i read somewhere that calcium is a good fat transporter and i want to transport some fat.

Just want to know about multivitamin or iron and calcium supplements.

Replies

• alexngbr
    alexngbr Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Personally I do use calcium and iron supplements as have a history of anaemia and have not been allowed to give blood either. I usually check how much I've managed on MFP then take whichever supplement is needed to correct any deficit. Although you shouldn't take calcium and iron supplements together as calcium can hinder the absorption of iron. Conversely vitamin C helps iron absorption. Other things that reduce iron absorption are caffeine, wholegrains and soy.
  • Well crap i eat a ton of whole grains.
  • alexngbr
    alexngbr Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    The way I understand it that's fine as long you don't take the iron supplement at the same time as the wholegrains. Plus wholegrains are really good for you!
  • Oh good because i eat a ton of whole grains in a day, and i took my vitamin with them this morning. I just wanted to make that i'm not wasting my money because i tend to only eat about 1/2 the amounts of iron and calcium needed in a day.
    Thank you .