Sweating slow down with weight loss?

Options
Hey everyone! I've been wondering this for a long time, and it may be a bit of a yucky topic, but I'm posting it anyways! lol

For the majority of my life I've had to deal with sweating much more than my peers. Armpits, face, hands, feet, legs, everywhere really! I was wondering if any of you have this same problem? I was also wondering if any of you had an experience of the problem improving after you have lost weight?

Be honest with me! I would rather prepare myself if I have to than think it will get better and be disappointed. Thanks! Hope I didn't gross everyone out too much! haha

Replies

• lancasrj
    lancasrj Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I also sweat a lot more than what I would hold as normal. It has never really changed with my fitness level. Humidity makes a huge difference for me. In the winter when the gym has a much lower humidity I don't sweat as much, but as soon at the summer hits the sweat is back. I just make sure to wear an undershirt and carry sweat towel to keep myself presentable.
  • abnerner
    abnerner Posts: 452 Member
    Options
    I too would like to know this, as I sweat like a beast ;)
  • KaleidoscopeEyes1056
    KaleidoscopeEyes1056 Posts: 2,996 Member
    Options
    I'm the opposite. I've never sweat a lot, even when I do a lot of running. I think it may just be a thing that happens based on who you are.
  • getfitdiva
    getfitdiva Posts: 1,148 Member
    Options
    My hubby is the same way he's lost all his weight and still sweats profusely. He puts 110% intensity in his burns as well. I would say depending on the intensity of my workouts during cardio I would sweat more. Not sure if it will change.
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    How much you sweat has more to do with genetics than anything. Do I feel more comfortable in the heat being in better shape? Most certainly. If me being in better shape has lead to me sweating less it's not an amount I can notice.

And don't fall for the perception that more sweat equals more intensity or more calories burned.
  • nowornever47
    nowornever47 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Firstly, I don't think it's a gross topic (especially compared to some that are out here, LOL!) but I LOVE to sweat from a good workout! I've lost 45 lbs and have not seen a change in the amount, personally. Heat and humidity definitely are a factor but without heat, etc it's more of how hard I'm working - as soon as I'm in my target high-end heart rate zone, the sweat pours down. Now, my husband on the other hand never sweats - I guess people are just really different in that area.
  • kelleyke
    kelleyke Posts: 20
    Options
    I have some kind of weird sweat threshold where I won't sweat for quite some time while working out like not even a drop, then once I reach a certain amount of prolonged exertion I start sweating for a while and profusely and continue sweating even after I'm done working out. Since I've lost weight I probably sweat more (while working out anyway) since I can push myself harder. Not sure about once warmer weather rolls in since it's still lower temps here.

As for your problem it could be related to improved fitness level. If you are exercising while losing weight then your conditioning would be getting better, meaning the level at which you would "break a sweat" would increase?
  • softballsharie
    softballsharie Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I don't mind sweating from a good workout, as a matter of fact, the more I sweat from my workout the happier I am afterwards usually. What bothers me, is that I can sit in 70 degree weather with little humidity and do nothing but like read a book, and get pit stains just from that. I was hoping it would improve with my fitness level, but so far no results. Thanks for the feedback guys!
  • lancasrj
    lancasrj Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I don't mind sweating from a good workout, as a matter of fact, the more I sweat from my workout the happier I am afterwards usually. What bothers me, is that I can sit in 70 degree weather with little humidity and do nothing but like read a book, and get pit stains just from that. I was hoping it would improve with my fitness level, but so far no results. Thanks for the feedback guys!

This may sound counter intuitive, but I have the same problem outside in the spring/summer (I'm from the north and used to cooler temperatures). My pit problem got a lot better when I switched from anti-perspirant to just normal deodorant. It was like wearing anti-perspirant just made my body double it's efforts to sweat. I don't know if there is any science behind it, but it worked for me.
  • Sonchie
    Sonchie Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Im not sure if I sweat any less than I did before I lost 100+ lbs, but I do know I get cold easily now! As soon as I start getting my heart rate up though, I am pouring like a fountain! I love it though. The more I sweat during a workout, the better I feel.
  • twogirlsmama
    twogirlsmama Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I think it's all about your body make up. I sweat like crazy as at 247 pounds and my sister does as well at 150 pounds. It's unpleasant sometimes, but there isn't much I can do about it. Good hygiene and quality products are the best I can do.
  • adamb83
    adamb83 Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    I've lost about 100 pounds total since my highest point - about 71 pounds in the last 10 months (since beginning an actual fitness journey).

I've noticed I sweat much more now at 185 pounds than I did at 255. And, honestly, it pisses me off.

I think the problem is two-fold: 1) Lots of extra skin and 2) Higher metabolism means my body is burning more calories more consistently (even at rest).

It sucks, but I'm learning to deal with it.... I guess...
  • OnceAndFutureAthlete
    OnceAndFutureAthlete Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Just chiming in for solidarity among us female sweaters...

I have always sweat more than other women around me. It was especially noticeable when I was younger because my mother is one of those freaks of nature that never sweats. (And we were an athletic family.)

What's worse, my face gets BRIGHT red and stays that way for some time. People will come up to me and say "Are you OK?"

This was true even when I was young and playing 3 varsity sports and VERY fit.

I've resigned myself to the fact that this is just the way I'm made.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    It should get better, but you may still sweat more than the average person. As you improve your fitness level, you should naturally sweat less. But I know a guy that is very fit - heavy lifter, dodgeball league, soccer league - and he sweats more than anyone I've ever met. It's just how he is.
  • supermum123
    Options
    I have definately noticed that i sweat less since I have lost weight :smile:
  • softballsharie
    softballsharie Posts: 176 Member
    Options

This may sound counter intuitive, but I have the same problem outside in the spring/summer (I'm from the north and used to cooler temperatures). My pit problem got a lot better when I switched from anti-perspirant to just normal deodorant. It was like wearing anti-perspirant just made my body double it's efforts to sweat. I don't know if there is any science behind it, but it worked for me.

I've actually heard about this a lot! If you don't mind me asking, how long after switching to plain deodorant did your sweat decrease? Did you slowly use less and less antiperspirant, or did you just make the switch one day? I'd really like to give this a try, so let me know. Thanks so much!
  • marycmeadows
    marycmeadows Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    I used to be hot, and sweat all the time when I had a lot of extra weight on me. and now I'm typically cold if I'm not working out! I sweat a ton when I work out, but outside of that, no I don't really anymore.... BUT I have known people that sweat a lot regardless of what size they are..... time will tell if you are one of those people.... ;)

sw 303.4 (1/1/11)
    cw 196.4 (107lbs down)
    gw 160
  • jcstanton
    jcstanton Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    I agree with a previous poster who said it has alot to do with genetics and body chemistry. My mom and sister "perspire"....even in the heat of the day during the summer, they just have a little bit of a glow/shimmer. LOL My dad, my brother, and I SWEAT. By the time I finish with a one hour workout, I look like I've jumped in the pool. I'm soaked from head to toe... I don't remember ever NOT being that way, even when I wasn't overweight. However, it did generally take a higher level of intensity or a higher temperature to get me to that point than it does now because I was in better shape. It seems like the higher my heart rate gets, the more I sweat.
  • mstemen
    mstemen Posts: 111 Member
    Options

I've actually heard about this a lot! If you don't mind me asking, how long after switching to plain deodorant did your sweat decrease? Did you slowly use less and less antiperspirant, or did you just make the switch one day? I'd really like to give this a try, so let me know. Thanks so much!

I would like to know this as well.
  • kiminikimkim
    kiminikimkim Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    Unless you're suffering from Hyperhidrosis.... you may not see a difference.

In high school, I was 112lbs and rarely sweat during basketball practice and track and field. I find that now that I am heavier, I sweat more.