dicey rice!

Options
Looking to try incorporating rice into my diet to mix it up.

Suggestions for the healthies types...lowest in calories...whole grain?

Give your feedback!!! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Replies

• havingitall
    havingitall Posts: 3,728 Member
    Options
    Brown rice is better than white. If you want rice with some flavour, Lundberg sells a black rice that has an awesome taste...although it is more purple than black
  • 6Pk2Go
    6Pk2Go Posts: 105
    Options
    I like to do a Chinese "Fried" Rice that is brown rice with egg whites, onion, small bits of chicken or pork loin, maybe some finely chopped veggies all fried together in a wok with Pam. Low Sodium soy sauce and you've got yourself a meal.
  • Magenta15
    Magenta15 Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    I've mostly replaced my rice with Quinoa Yummy and higher protein too! half a cup with a ton of stir fried veggies is very satisfying, cooks the same as rice - i get mine at bulk barn
  • Lindsey83
    Lindsey83 Posts: 16
    Options
    I've mostly replaced my rice with Quinoa Yummy and higher protein too! half a cup with a ton of stir fried veggies is very satisfying, cooks the same as rice - i get mine at bulk barn

I LOVE quinoa. None of my local grocery stores carry it and I have to drive out of the way to Whole foods to get it which stinks. I'm a big rice and grain kind of person and quinoa is one of my favs.
  • SusieSonshine
    SusieSonshine Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    Whole grain is always the best way to go! I really love basmati; it has such a wonderful aroma and flavor! It's nice to mix it up with wild rice, which has a really nutty taste.
  • estherguas
    estherguas Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I was just wondering, what does quinoa taste like? Is it Good like I "Wow this is really delicious" or is it just tollerable enough to eat for the nutrtional content?
  • abr25
    abr25 Posts: 179
    Options
    i'd be interested in what it tastes like also....anyone know?

also i hear a nice stir fry with rice can be really good. what do you all put in your stir fry???
  • FireMonkey
    FireMonkey Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    I :love: stir-fry, but you've got to be careful with the fat and the sauces. I usually get bok-choy and Chinese mushrooms as my base, add whatever veggies you've got in the fridge, a few drops of sesame seed oil, low sodium soy sauce and perhaps some tapioca starch. This goes well with chicken breast or prawns. There are also good recipes for fish, pork and beef but they're not my favourites. Well, fish is, but I make it differently, not in a stir-fry.

Spray wok with Pam or brush with oil, add chopped garlic, ginger. Add chicken in bite size pieces or prawns. Stir-fry for a minute or so until it's cooked. Add veggies. Stir-fry for a minute, add sauce, cover and steam for a few minutes. If you like sprouts or green onion, put them in now and steam for another minute or so. Great over brown rice. And don't forget the Fortune Cookie (30 cal each :laugh: )
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options

I've been looking for it too. How would you compare the taste to brown rice (which I hate)?
  • XFitMojoMom
    XFitMojoMom Posts: 3,255 Member
    Options
    I love quinoa and taste wise - pretty benign... mostly it will absorb the flavor of the spice you cook it in. I add garlic and onion flakes to mine - so, very yummmmm!
    I love red jasmine brown rice - the red comes from the husk of the rice.
    I usually mix my rice with lentils, red kidney beans... vegs... feta cheese!
  • Magenta15
    Magenta15 Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    Agreed, I couldn't really describe how Quinoa tastes, like the above post says it pretty much absorbs flavor sometimes i will cook it in veg or chicken broth with some onions. But i am not a big brown rice fan...i dont find it all t hat yummy or satisfying - at least not when I cook it, but i love quinoa - and if you look it up you can also make breakfast type hot cereals w ith it :smile:

give it a shot!

for those of you who HAVE tried it, have you tried the red quinoa? I have not and was wondering if i t was much different or not?

PG:flowerforyou:
  • Lindsey83
    Lindsey83 Posts: 16
    Options
    I like quinoa better than brown rice because it has a nicer texture, almost kind of a crunchy pop kind of thing going on. I don't know how to explain it. Brown rice is kind of bland and to me it I don't really like the texture.

Agreed on the absorbing flavors. Quinoa is delicious and you should try it. If they don't have it in your local grocery store you might have to try a health foods store. Whole foods was the only grocery store I could find it in.