But I LOVE Starbucks !!

Options

Replies

• 10acity
    10acity Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    I also love Starbucks but I'd rather lick the floor than taste sucralose (Splenda), so I always, always specify the number of pumps of syrup to use -- in a Grande, 1; in a Venti, 2. It cuts down on a LOT of the calories and sugar... and in my opinion it tastes a lot better, too (I actually like coffee).

:happy:
  • alix1105
    alix1105 Posts: 80
    Options
    I seriously love starbucks.. I used to go there EVERYDAY... not only did my diet hurt, but my bank account too. lol I switched to a protein shake which is healthier, but still up there in calories. But before I did that, I just went to the Starbucks menu online. They have a whole menu of low calorie drinks/foods. They aren't too bad tasting too (I've pretty much tried all of them. lol I think the cinnamon dolce was the best or the vanilla steamer with a shot of espresso :) )
  • silverburk
    Options
    Starbucks makes those cold coffees and they now sell them in Light. Which are only 100 calories. You could try that. :)
  • mistress_kay
    mistress_kay Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Starbucks actually has a page of 20 of their drinks that are under 200 calories. :)

http://www.starbucks.com/menu/nutrition/20-under-200

I can't give up my Java Chip Frappe for anything, so I'm just drinking the light version with no whip, and it cuts off about 300 calories from it. I just work out extra hard for it as well. So much delicious.
  • Kailel
    Kailel Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    That's my weakness too! I found out my tall salted caramel hot chocolate has 360 calories and the skinny version isn't much better. I still have them, just not every day. I make them work with my calories. Like today, I am looking at only about 900 calories in my meals today total, and I need to bring that up. So today is a hot chocolate day if I want one :)

MFP isn't about depriving. It's about making it work with your lifestyle. Are you going to never allow a treat again, even at your goal weight? If you constantly deprive yourself of the things you want while working your way towards your goal, you will be setting yourself up for failure when you reach that goal. Learn NOW how to incorporate into your daily routine the things you still want to be able to enjoy.

Huh. That's a lot less than the 500,000 calories I was assuming was in something that delicious. :blushing:
  • killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    What's your issue? Tea has negligible if any caloric value.

If you put something in it (cream or milk) then it has carbs so I assume you drink it plain?

In that case, what's the issue? Green teas are good for you. Just because something isn't caloric doesn't mean it's bad (or good for that matter).
    I think their 'issue' is that plain green tea pretty much sucks.
  • JDMPWR
    JDMPWR Posts: 1,863 Member
    Options
    Try some coffee black. At least you get a nice kick out of it versus your plain tea.
  • beckajw
    beckajw Posts: 1,738 Member
    Options
    Tall Skinny Vanilla latte my absolute favorite!!!

ONLY 100 calories and lots of protein from the milk.
    Protein AND sugar (like 4-5 grams) if memory serves me right.

The sugar is from the milk. It's lactose. 12 grams or something.
  • wells0707
    wells0707 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Try making your own so you can keep better track of what goes in it. There are expresso machines that are fairly inexpensive, and the syrups are availble in the grocery store. I have found that the keurig version of a chai latte satisfies me just fine and its only 70 calories. good luck!
  • chuisle
    chuisle Posts: 1,052 Member
    Options
    What's your issue? Tea has negligible if any caloric value.

If you put something in it (cream or milk) then it has carbs so I assume you drink it plain?

In that case, what's the issue? Green teas are good for you. Just because something isn't caloric doesn't mean it's bad (or good for that matter).
    I think their 'issue' is that plain green tea pretty much sucks.

Haha, yes, I get that now! Just a little slow this morning.

I do sbux 1-2 a week because I like it but I get their iced coffee with a touch of skim and add my whey chocolate protein powder. Similar to a mocha but much healthier :)

If I don't want the whey I do skinny tall or grande mocha. (100-140 cals)
  • cherryObebe
    cherryObebe Posts: 189
    Options
    Starbucks Skinny Caramel Macchiato!!! (no whip!)

Grande = 105 cal
    Tall = 140 cal

http://www.starbucks.com/blog/top-five-reasons-to-love-skinny-caramel-macchiato/646
  • RobynDCrossman
    Options
    I drink a skinny sugar free latte or macchiato.
    Easy calories. Yummy.
    Caffeinated.
  • Aureilie
    Aureilie Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    tumblr_lvg6voPql71qeun3do1_500.jpg
  • Justacoffeenut
    Justacoffeenut Posts: 3,808 Member
    Options
    Understand. Ive thru trial and error come up with my own. Once down quicker then going thru the drive thru and less calories. Here are a couple tricks I learned. For cold drinks such as frappe and ice coffee take your leftover breakfast coffee and freeze into ice cubes and use them. Also Mr. Coffee has a frappe machine. LOVE IT. My hubby got me one for our anniversary. But watch out for the recipes they send they need some tweaking due to calories. But its a start. You can get the recipes online at Mr. Coffee web site look for the frappe maker and click over there and then under recipes. Hope it helps. Us coffee lovers have to unite. :)
  • AJLovinLife
    AJLovinLife Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I see it as my way to get calcium for the day. I do a venti iced decaf americano with about 2 inches of soy. It is about 130 calories. I tried to replace the soy with my 40 calorie almond milk and it was not as good. I have thought about trying the 90 calorie almond milk and see if it is better. I know their soy is full of sugar and typically I avoid soy but this drink when made right is soooooo delish. :) and I only get it once or twice a week. I do admit though on the days i miss those calories to eat... :(
  • 970Mikaela1
    970Mikaela1 Posts: 2,013 Member
    Options
    Me too but i havent had one since Christmas): I tried the skinny cinnamon dolce latte but they are not as good so for now Starbucks is a lost love!!
  • DinahKyle
    DinahKyle Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    My sister and I walk there and back - which burns tons of calories! That way she and I don't feel guilty. I am in LOVE with the Skinny caramel iced latte - and my sister gets the passion iced tea lemonade (which you can get with low/no calorie sweetener instead of the syrup ;P )
  • clairieb
    clairieb Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I've been a cafe supervisor making Starbucks coffee for almost 8 years now, and the temptations can be very difficult to avoid. I'm certain that my poor choices over the years (daily iced quad venti no whip white chocolate mochas) helped lead to my weight gain. I slowly began to get a smaller size everyday, started getting less pumps of syrup, but eventually had to stop getting my daily drink because I really wanted to eat the calories that I was drinking. For me, beer consumption is harder to curb since I have no control over the calories and they go down sooo smoothly. I'm in college and work full-time, so drinking less caffeine just doesn't feel like an option. I've been successful by making sure that I have one cup of coffee at home before I go to work, and on my lunch I allow myself a doppio with one raw sugar, followed by lots of water chugging. I sip my drink, and savor every bit of it rather than just sucking it down. I'm not willing to add artificial sweetener to my drink, because my palate simply does not care for it and it doesn't seem worth it. No matter what, a barista with any amount of customer service skills will be happy to work with you to find out how to make your regular drink more healthy. I never thought that I'd like my old drink as much if I changed it, but cutting the syrup in half and adding more milk really didn't make it less delicious, and the added protein works good for days when I've done a lot of strength training. I still get my old fancy drink, just not often, and I make sure that it works into my calories/ macros for the day. So for me, finding a less costly ( $ and calories) alternative for my daily drink made it so that I don't feel bad splurging every now and again.

14632831.png
  • lmelangley
    lmelangley Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    Does it make you happy? Then it does do something for you. This is about becoming healthier, not about punishment or deprivation. Limit yourself to one per day and log it or the cream/sugar you may use in it. As long as the calories are counted, you should go for it. Me? half and half every day in my coffee. I couldn't stay the course if I had to give it up.
  • hillary124
    hillary124 Posts: 112
    Options
    I get a double shot tall skinny cafe mocha. The calories are a little under 200, but adding the extra shot of espresso gives me alot of energy and I go work out usually right after I drink it :)